PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone prune trees for free in order to mow easier

JABBERS
06-16-2011, 06:35 PM
My helper seems to think I should not charge to trim up trees so its easier to mow. I have been charging the customer to trim up all there trees so I can mow and use the weed trimmer easier. Its not all the time little limbs you can use the little hand pruners for, but limbs you need a pole pruner or chain saw for 2 and 3 inches. So what do you guys think, charge like I have been charging or free. Please give me some feed back. Thanks

stan the man
06-16-2011, 06:49 PM
i don't do anything free

billythekid
06-16-2011, 06:49 PM
if it's extensive then yes i would charge them. however if it's only a branch or to i would throw it in for free and when you're finished mention you through it in for free and it might land you some more business in the long run. Also make sure you have permission to trim that tree so you don't step on any toes lol.

vencops
06-16-2011, 07:01 PM
yessiree

'course.....I only have one residential account that is inhabited.....lol.

knox gsl
06-16-2011, 07:27 PM
I don't cut them for free, but will try to upsell the service. If they don't want it I will work around the trees. Around here Bradford Pears are the worst and I will mow as close as the tree will let me.

vencops
06-16-2011, 07:50 PM
Around here Bradford Pears are the worst and I will mow as close as the tree will let me.

Then, I'm assuming you'll either cut the rest with a trimmer or a push mower.

Does it cost more to do that, every week......OR, maybe just ask the client if you can snip a limb or two on your dime......and leave the trimmer/21" on the trailer?

Just askin'.

Agreen-go
06-16-2011, 08:12 PM
The first thing I tell my customers is..."I don't do anything above 6' "
In Nevada and I don't know about other states, you cannot trim trees with out a tree trimmers business license.
That being said if a customer asks us to trim palm fronds or a tree I will thin out what I can reach from the ground with a hand saw.
And that is not done for free.
Agreen-go

JABBERS
06-16-2011, 09:16 PM
These limbs make it dangerous to mow and trim around, my guy got all tore up today trying to get to close.

knox gsl
06-16-2011, 09:58 PM
Then, I'm assuming you'll either cut the rest with a trimmer or a push mower.

Does it cost more to do that, every week......OR, maybe just ask the client if you can snip a limb or two on your dime......and leave the trimmer/21" on the trailer?

Just askin'.

I've only had this be a proble, on just a few properties, and they were to cheap to pay for anything more than mowing and knew that I would only mow what I can reach. On one property that really comes to mind, if I cut everthing back that needed it would take 4 hours and a full trailer of limbs.

jsslawncare
06-16-2011, 10:27 PM
Yes. Small stuff only.

Century Landscape
06-16-2011, 10:36 PM
Sure, if it's easy and only takes a few minutes. More than 5-10 minutes, we gotta talk about a price.

BradLewisLawnCare
06-16-2011, 11:25 PM
Charge more for variables in mowing then say lawn price goes down if they pay for trimming. Imagine you gave a price and a fence went up the next week. Do you charge more when it becomes harder to do?
Posted via Mobile Device

Kreios
06-16-2011, 11:32 PM
When I trim shrubs on the property I'll umbrella the trees so I can mow around them with out getting my head smacked around. It doesn't take but a couple of minutes to do it and saves a little everytime you mow.
Posted via Mobile Device

johnny_boy02
06-17-2011, 02:47 AM
I try to spend 3-5 extra minutes at all of my properties doing random extra things that may not be included in just a mow, picking up random trash in the street, pulling a few weeds, edging the adjoining piece of property so there is a nice edge all the way down, etc.

People notice this stuff. So if I can trim a few branches that makes it easier for me and make the customer happy I am all for it. I prefer 5 minutes of free work to getting hit in the face every week.

STIHL GUY
06-17-2011, 11:57 AM
if its only a branch or 2 id do it free if its a good customer otherwise id charge them

Runner
06-19-2011, 03:16 PM
The trees must get trimmed...it's the inevitable, and yes, they get charged. It is all part of maintenance. If they don't get trimmed, eventually they will hang down further, and it takes even more work to haul out more material, equating to costing more money. If they don't want to maintain their properties properly, then I can certainly recommend a service to them that does more toward the lower grade of work that may be shooting for. I have a customer now that has wanted to put off his trimming for an amount of time now. Now mind you,....this is a client I've had for several years. I finally told him, the tree have to be trimmed, or I am unable to safely and effectively execute the proper procedures needed to perform a sufficient program. The trimming will be performed this week - including the removal of a tree.

dgw
06-19-2011, 03:21 PM
yes i have no problem lopping off a couple branches to make my life easier

Groomer
06-19-2011, 06:24 PM
I keep the loppers in the truck for the occasional quick trim to make my life a little easier.

JABBERS
06-20-2011, 09:03 AM
Right now I do the quick trim for free even carrying pruners on my mower from time to time The bigger stuff needs to be billed. My help seems to think it should be free because it helps us out not the customer.

stan the man
06-20-2011, 01:16 PM
ask him if he wants to work with not pay

Texas Lawn
06-20-2011, 01:33 PM
If it is injuring my employees or causing them to take even a few more minutes on the yard, I do it. Now obviously if it is something big I go in and tell the customer. Usually once I trim a little for free, they let me do the rest for a price

vencops
06-20-2011, 01:35 PM
If someone throws a brick in the custoner's yard, do you:

1. Pick it up and dispose of it for free?
2. Pick it up and dispose of it, charging the customer?
3. Mow and/or trim around it.

Seriously, folks..........

stan the man
06-20-2011, 02:29 PM
everyone knows if the lawn has trash kids toys and branches or brick you pick them up it on the lawn. i run Walkers and Exmark Navigators i have not see a branch that i can not get under. i like to see a picture of this dangerous branch or branches

XLS
06-20-2011, 02:44 PM
if a non agreeded upon task is completed and takes less then 30 minutes it cost $1.00 per minute for the extra ....if it is a simple limb free it is becasue it will take longer to clock in and out then just do it in the first place .

LoweJ82
06-20-2011, 04:43 PM
If its something I brought up due to being able to get under them Id offer to trim them up to about 6.5'-7' off the ground for about 1/3 of the normal price that Id charge to do it for a one time deal.

also once the Ho has noticed how much better it looks, even from down the block they tend to keep it this way.