PDA

View Full Version : Smokin' deal on a TORO...

yamahatim
06-16-2011, 05:54 PM
...22" Recycler Personal Pace at my local Home Depot in St. Cloud MN. Apparently Toro had a recall on these mowers because they came with a drive belt that was too large. Customers returned them prior to the recall and now The Home Depot is selling them reconditioned at a nice discount. New the mower is $349, I paid $240. The mower hardly had any use on it. The electric start models were $399 selling for $275. If you need one, I would call around and check if they have any left.

ALC-GregH
06-16-2011, 05:58 PM
I have one and wish I never bought it.

yamahatim
06-16-2011, 06:07 PM
I have one and wish I never bought it.

Really? Why is that? They seem to get good ratings from Popular Mechanics and Consumer Reports.

topsites
06-16-2011, 09:32 PM
Well no, no, if it's smoking you probably don't want it.

lawnboy dan
06-17-2011, 07:15 AM
total pos ! personal pace isnt suited for commercial mowing-as you will find out

mowisme
06-17-2011, 07:31 AM
I had two- never again. Gave them both away. continued issues with them. Plastic wheels,ect.

All_Toro_4ME
06-17-2011, 09:39 AM
The golf course maintanance crews were using them the other day to mow small areas around the golf course. It was obvious the trans was shot because they were using them as a push mower and were really struggling to get the job done. Looked like a ton of effort, especially in the heat.

My advice to the OP, learn how to modify/fix the plastic parts in that trans so that you can continue using it with the PP. There's threads on this site addressing that issue. The trans in those units are pure junk. Nothing but plastic on plastic. They will fail on you in a short time. Its just a matter of when.

Greenery
06-17-2011, 09:50 AM
Wow my Experience is completely different. In my opinion the toro blows the honda out of the water in every aspect and it definitely cut better than the snapper commercial unit.
Posted via Mobile Device

madisonpressurewashing
06-17-2011, 09:53 AM
For real???

gibbonsballer10
06-17-2011, 12:47 PM
I have a 5 year old toro personal pace that has been used commercially all of its life. When I started thats all I used to cut my lawns. Easily has over 500 hours on it, NEVER 1 PROBLEM. Rather pay $350 for one of those than $1200 for a commercial one, I'd rather but 4 personal paces rather than 1 commercial.

hackitdown
06-17-2011, 12:55 PM
I have Toro Personal Pace that I use in my pool area. I used to bring it on the trailer to cut 2 small yards per week. It is easily 6 or 7 years old. One wheel is bent. Starts 1st pull. Definitely not a commercial machine.

yamahatim
06-17-2011, 01:46 PM
Wow. It's a love hate thing. I have 30 days to return it...but what better mower could you buy for $250? An MTD or Yardman mower at that price doesn't seem like an even move and definitely not better. :confused:

yamahatim
07-27-2011, 02:37 PM
Well, here is my personal experience with this mower. Most of you haters were probably right.

The "supposed fixed on the recall" reconditioned one for $240 lasted 1 yard and the personal pace was done.

So I returned it for a new in the box "supposedly fixe on the recall" one for $109 more. That lasted 1 yard as well.

Returned it and purchased a Honda Model HRR216VKA for $49 more. This mower has twice the quality feel of the Toro. Starts first pull every time. Many lawns later and the thing hasn't missed a beat. I actually like the Smart Drive system better, plus it is easier to control when trimming, The twin blade system chews the heck out of the clippings. I had to order the side discharge chute from a Honda dealer for an extra $30. I like the fact it attaches to the rear of the machine so it doesn't add width to the mower.

The only cheapness about it is the close off for mulching, it is a cheezy plastic insert that leaks and fills with grass. Toro has a better system for that part of it.

lawnboy dan
07-27-2011, 06:13 PM
told you personal pace sucked

GrassGuerilla
07-27-2011, 06:43 PM
I've had two personal pace Toro's. First one was really good, it had a Tecumseh engine. After learning the tricks to the PP system it worked perfect for 2 years of lots of very hard use. Then it was stolen. I needed an immediate replacement, so I bought one from HD. The second or HD mower had a Briggs, the PP went out almost immediately (second day I think). Toro dealer fixed PP no charge, but they tested the engine (which smoked slightly at start-up) and it failed a compression test. So they put a new engine on it. Second engine was black instead of red, which was ok with me, but seemed odd for a Toro only dealer. At any rate second engine lasted one season. Since it was still under warranty, they installed engine #3. Third engine has sucked since new, no power.

I love the ease of PP, but the cut sucks, the atomic blade is weak in comparison to either quad blade (Toro or Honda). And the steel decks are pretty weak. If you spend the money for the cast aluminum deck, you get a pretty good machine.
Posted via Mobile Device

DA Quality Lawn & YS
07-27-2011, 08:18 PM
total pos ! personal pace isnt suited for commercial mowing-as you will find out

Disagree. I have run a Toro SR4 SuperRecycler for 5th season now, light to medium use. Have had no problems with the Personal Pace. In fact, if it is a tweener lawn between my Toro and my 36" Quick, I would tend toward the Toro as it is so easy to use with that Pers. Pace.

By the way, mine is dealer purchased and will undoubtedly last longer than big box one.

yamahatim
07-27-2011, 08:40 PM
Disagree. I have run a Toro SR4 SuperRecycler for 5th season now, light to medium use. Have had no problems with the Personal Pace. In fact, if it is a tweener lawn between my Toro and my 36" Quick, I would tend toward the Toro as it is so easy to use with that Pers. Pace.

By the way, mine is dealer purchased and will undoubtedly last longer than big box one.

My dealer carries the same unit as the Home Depot, however, I think the mowers with the black grass bag are built better.

coopmaster
07-27-2011, 08:42 PM
Maybe I'm just lucky. I have a Toro Super Bagger 20192 w PP. I cut about 22 residential accounts a week in hilly western PA. Bought it in June 2008. Only two problems - Handle broke and was covered under warranty. Belt broke and I replaced. Has original sealed transmission. Yes the wheels are plastic but they are tuff stuff. I am a solo operation and I don't bang it around.
This $550 mower has served me well and made me a good bit of coin.

yamahatim
07-27-2011, 11:57 PM
Maybe I'm just lucky. I have a Toro Super Bagger 20192 w PP. I cut about 22 residential accounts a week in hilly western PA. Bought it in June 2008. Only two problems - Handle broke and was covered under warranty. Belt broke and I replaced. Has original sealed transmission. Yes the wheels are plastic but they are tuff stuff. I am a solo operation and I don't bang it around.
This $550 mower has served me well and made me a good bit of coin.

I think you hit the nail on the head. $550 vs. $349 new...plus dealers usually set them up and actually service them the way they should be. If the dealers had the 6-12-18 month no interest option, they would rule over the big box stores. However, other than that, I like the quality of brands the Home Depot carries.

GravyTrain
07-28-2011, 10:10 AM
I have a 5 year old toro personal pace that has been used commercially all of its life. When I started thats all I used to cut my lawns. Easily has over 500 hours on it, NEVER 1 PROBLEM. Rather pay $350 for one of those than $1200 for a commercial one, I'd rather but 4 personal paces rather than 1 commercial.

I thought the same thing until I dropped 1300 on a Toro heavy duty. I will NEVER go back to anything designed and built for the average home owner. I have an entire thread about this very thing somewhere on here, it's been dormant for probably a week or so.

Having gone through a brand new mower that couldn't bag or mulch (did start first pull almost every other time) I decided to just go for it. There is no comparison. Even if they lasted the same length of time, the quality of cut, larger grass catcher and faster pace is worth every bit of the extra money.

lawnboy dan
07-29-2011, 07:28 AM
now this guy has it right!