PDA

View Full Version : Stihl seems to be taking over Texas

GlynnC
06-16-2011, 06:05 PM
Due to family health issues (another story), I've been in the Houston and San Antonio areas of Texas for most of the last 6 months. For several years, I've noticed that Echo seemed to rule the handheld business, with Stihls being used by citiy/county crews. This time, I've seen very few Echos, a few Shindaiwas, but mostly Stihls. I haven't talked to any of the crews to ask about the reason for the brand change--probably couldn't speak the right language.

Since I don't have any brand loyalties (other than my Kaw KGT27A trimmer), this is just an observation, no hidden messages intended.

Turf Dawg
06-16-2011, 08:47 PM
Due to family health issues (another story), I've been in the Houston and San Antonio areas of Texas for most of the last 6 months. For several years, I've noticed that Echo seemed to rule the handheld business, with Stihls being used by citiy/county crews. This time, I've seen very few Echos, a few Shindaiwas, but mostly Stihls. I haven't talked to any of the crews to ask about the reason for the brand change--probably couldn't speak the right language.

Since I don't have any brand loyalties (other than my Kaw KGT27A trimmer), this is just an observation, no hidden messages intended.

I think it goes by area, but a lot of city, county, state, ect..... run Stihl because of the deals they will make on large purchases. I know that since John Deere started carrying Stihls a lot more gov type workers are using them because JD leases the mowers with service and the handhelds for a fixed price for I think 3 years.

I prefer Maruyama and Husqvarna trimmers and Echo and Redmax blowers.

ed2hess
06-16-2011, 09:23 PM
Echo don't compet in state and local bids so yes stihl rules.

topsites
06-16-2011, 09:25 PM
It's that ongoing gas cap conspiracy, now it's all over your state too, RUN forest RUN!

Chevy z71
06-16-2011, 09:52 PM
The county uses stihl here to and use scag wild cats. Most lco people i see use stihl and redmax.

lawnboy dan
06-17-2011, 07:13 AM
the only place sthil rules is the volume of them in the repair shop