PDA

View Full Version : changing oil to synthetic

944own
06-16-2011, 07:05 PM
I did my first oil change at 5 hours and used a conventional 10w30 I was advised by my dealer not to use synthetic on the first oil change. I just did the 50 hour oil change and used mobil 1 10w30 is this enough hrs to switch to synthetic. The dealer told me everything would not seal up correct if I used synthetic on the 5 hour change but I cant remember when he said to switch to synthetic.

944own
06-16-2011, 07:30 PM
dont know if it matters but the mower is a exmark lazer with a 29 kawi

GMLC
06-16-2011, 07:46 PM
You will be fine at 50 hours as that is when I always switch. It really only takes a few heat cycles to break in an engine. 50 hours is more than enough to seat the rings and wear in the correct bearing patterns.
Posted via Mobile Device

topsites
06-16-2011, 10:08 PM
I'm one of the few folks who runs synthetic in engines right fresh off the shelf,
from the very first fill-up all the way to the bitter end, then again I'm crazy.

Bumpmaster
06-16-2011, 10:11 PM
I put synthetic in my Kawasaki engine at 8 hours. The thing ran great for 2300 hours then it developed an oil leak.

Ridin' Green
06-16-2011, 11:32 PM
My owners manual for my Deere (25 hp Kohler Command Pro) says that if you wish to use synthetic oil, wait until at least 50 hrs are on the engine before doing so. That's what I'll do too.

Get Some...
06-16-2011, 11:38 PM
I'm one of the few folks who runs synthetic in engines right fresh off the shelf,
from the very first fill-up all the way to the bitter end, then again I'm crazy.

At least your honest.....:laugh:

MOW ED
06-17-2011, 08:21 AM
I put synthetic in from the start also. I have a 2000 Kohler 26 EFI that just turned 2000 hours. It does not use a drop of oil. Corvettes come out of the factory with synthetic in them, thats good enough for me.

A-1 LAWN
06-17-2011, 08:37 AM
what type or weight of synthetic are you guys running?

jkingrph
06-28-2011, 11:42 AM

I do mine the same way and here's why.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Synthetics/Myths.aspx

Ridin' Green
06-28-2011, 12:05 PM
I do mine the same way and here's why.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Synthetics/Myths.aspx

I have no problem with you using whatever you want to, but according to your link, even they recommend following the manufacturer's advice, and most small engine manufacturer's recommend waiting until an engine is broken in before switching to synthetic oils. Plus they are selling/promoting one of their more expensive products here. On top of that, while small engines commonly used for lawn care are in my opinion, "high performance engines" due to the rpm's they constantly run at, their rpm's don't come close to what all the high performance cars listed in Mobile's list in the link can and do ran at.

Also, all of the new engines I have owned in the last 10 years have come with really thin "break in oil" to help the rings seat, and the other engine components to fit or seat into each other better. Some of the Ops's manuals have even flat out stated not to change this oil out until after a certain number of hours based on what that particular engine manufacturer recommends. Every single one has smoked a bit until the internals did seat in, and smoked, and used a little oil up until that point. Since synthetic oil is "slipperier" than conventional oils, I just don't feel it wise to use until the engine has a few hours on it. After that point, then it's all fair game.

"Myth: Using Mobil 1 will void the warranty on my new car.
Reality:

Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 Extended Performance will not void new car warranties, with the exception of the Mazda rotary engine (Mazda does not recommend any synthetic motor oil). Mobil 1 exceeds the API and ILSAC motor oil service requirements for all new vehicles, both import and domestic. If in doubt, always check your vehicle owner's manual or contact your vehicle's manufacturer."

Aaronnc
06-28-2011, 01:51 PM
Redline Synthetic Oil recommends a conventional oil during break-in.
http://www.redlineoil.com/techinfo_faq.aspx

Total Seal Piston Rings recommends regular oil till break-in.
http://www.totalseal.com/

Kohler recommends 50 hours first before switching to synthetic.
http://www.kohlerengines.com/maintenance/faqs.htm

I've heard stories that your rings will still seat properly if running synthetic from the beginning, but it will just take longer. Hence the longer change intervals.

But who really knows? Regular oil is cheaper than synthetic, so wouldn't it be cheaper to just run the engine on reg. for 50 hours and then change to synthetic?

This debate/argument will go on for the next 100 years.

JUST READ YOUR OWNERS MANUAL AND DO WHATEVER IT SAYS.:hammerhead:

nlminc
06-28-2011, 06:47 PM
I just bought another Walker with the Kohler 26hp. Asked the owner/mech of the shop who has worked on Walkers for 25 years if I should run synthetic and he told me he see's no difference in the engines at 2000-3000 hours when they come in for a rebuild...regular oil vs syn.

I planned on just running the oil the Walker/Kohler suggest in the manual.