PDA

View Full Version : The deal of my life.

exmarkguy123
06-16-2011, 06:40 PM
To start things off i'm only 17. So far this year I have been mowing about 10 yards this year. Then today I was approached by our neighborhood association president to mow a large area of grass along the large lake in our neighborhood. He then hinted at the possibility of me moving on the mow the 30-40 lakefront green areas throughout the neighborhood as well as several non-lakefront areas. The potential income that this could create for me, as a 17 year old would be astounding. Just wanted to share my good news!:):usflag:

ALC-GregH
06-16-2011, 06:41 PM
Good luck with it.

STIHL GUY
06-16-2011, 06:54 PM
good luck. just make sure your insured in case anythhing goes wrong

Hawkshot99
06-16-2011, 06:59 PM
He then hinted at the possibility of me moving on the mow the 30-40 lakefront green areas throughout the neighborhood as well as several non-lakefront areas. The potential income that this could create for me, as a 17 year old would be astounding. Just wanted to share my good news!:):usflag:

Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

Runner
06-16-2011, 07:42 PM
No, but definitely pursue this.Get the details, and what all they want.

GravelyWoman
06-16-2011, 08:24 PM
They always "hint" at other properties or areas that you could possibly do. The purpose behind that is to try and get you to give them a low ball price. They will always continue to "hang a carrot" in front of you!! Again, listen to the people on here! Make sure you have insurance and don't low ball a price just to "get the job."

GravelyW.

topsites
06-16-2011, 08:31 PM
Aw man you guys just spoiled all the fun, we had this one hook line and sinker but it's all good,
I'm glad to see the spirit of helping your fellow man is alive and well and that not everybody is
out to get you, that's probably the one thing about LS you can count on, undisputed truth.

Peace out

exmarkguy123
06-16-2011, 09:47 PM
Look, I get this may not all happen. But as a seventeen year old i'm just excited at the growth that could come my way. I'm not trying to steal anyone's jobs and I never said I was going to lowball. I just thought I would share some news that doesn't come my way a whole lot.

ATLandcare
06-16-2011, 09:52 PM
I don't blame you for being excited man, GOOD LUCK. :usflag:

ochosdaddy
06-16-2011, 09:55 PM
Price it like you don't need it. The president may have just assumed that because you're a teenager, you'll bid cheap. No point tying up your time mowing large areas for a price you later regret.

exmarkguy123
06-16-2011, 09:58 PM
No point tying up your time mowing large areas for a price you later regret.

Amen to that!

JB1
06-16-2011, 10:20 PM
he see's fresh meat.

chuacro
06-16-2011, 11:45 PM
I say just be carefull with your pricing. Do not go big at lower pricing. I did that when starting out and paid the price. I now have people asking me if I can take them own as customers. I can now pick and choose the lawns that I want to mow. The customers that got some small freebies and wanted more and did not reward me are on the list to replace. I will give them proper notice with price increase. It is good to be an old fart solo sometimes. Good luck to you.

Get Some...
06-16-2011, 11:58 PM
Assuming someone else is already being paid to do this mowing......
He came to you looking for a better price or a better job.

Either way this can be a good opportunity for you.
If you have only ten account's and nothing else going on, more work is a good thing.
Try to make the best deal that you can.....

Good luck with this.

madisonpressurewashing
06-17-2011, 12:03 AM
They always "hint" at other properties or areas that you could possibly do. The purpose behind that is to try and get you to give them a low ball price. They will always continue to "hang a carrot" in front of you!! Again, listen to the people on here! Make sure you have insurance and don't low ball a price just to "get the job."

GravelyW.

Bingo, very true

Exact Rototilling
06-17-2011, 12:35 AM
Congrats on the possibility.....

How are the current common and association areas being maintained..what about last year....?

There has been a low bid trend going on here in my area. It is getting worse these last few years. Very few of the association and HOA common areas are being edged correctly unless tapered down to zero and burned up with a slight touch of moss struggling to survive the string trimmers wrath....is considered good edging. Grass blown into the streets and walking paths etc. Grass areas looks like a mowed hayfield even when there isnít rain. I just saw a new low in my old neighborhood. The outside perimeter lawn area is now being maintained by some entity that doesnít even own a string trimmer much less and edger so they have resorted to using round up next to the sidewalks and every thing else that can't be accesed by a lawn tractor.

Anyhow not trying to rain on your parade but think long and hard about your options.

:waving:

Kreios
06-17-2011, 01:11 AM
Will you be going back to school in the fall? If so will you still be able to maintain everything and keep it looking good?
Posted via Mobile Device

gebby
06-17-2011, 12:19 PM
I am happy for you !!!

Having said that, today is mid June. What happened to the other guys who were mowing ? Ask lots of probing questions, look for problems that could occur, figure your time, wear and tear, down times, do you have enough equipment, can you handle it all, will you have to have help, go through it all. When do I get paid, potential cash flow problems. Price it right so you can make money and also have enough left over in case something happens and, usually it will. Big business does not always mean big profits. I am very happy for you but for your sake walk carefully. I hope you get and are succesfull with it. Good Luck !!!

rob640
06-17-2011, 01:07 PM
Good luck on getting it that could definately help u get a huge jump start.. just remember that one day the time will come where u have to hire help and you will have to pay them as well so make sure u make it worth your while..

SLMGT
06-19-2011, 12:56 AM
Do be careful. Working for HOAs can be like working for everyone who owns a home in the development. HOAs have been known to screw over a LCO or two.:usflag: