PDA

View Full Version : JD 647A - change transmission fluid after 10 hours

Shawn S
06-16-2011, 09:23 PM
The service interval for my new John Deere 647A tells me to change the transmission fluid and filter after the first 10 hours. I am 99% certain this means that I should change the hydraulic fluid and filter, but I wanted to make sure before I drained 10 quarts of hydraulic fluid out of this thing.

MOturkey
06-16-2011, 09:29 PM
Are you sure it isn't the engine oil and filter? Can't imagine having to change anything else at 10 hours.

Tofutti
06-16-2011, 09:51 PM
Our 2011 Toro WB wanted everything changed after the first 10 hours. Hydro and engine oil. After that, on to normal intervals.

mowerbrad
06-16-2011, 10:25 PM
After the first 10 hours, all you need to do is change the oil and filter. The first hydro fluid change is every 500 hours. The initial hydro fluid change could be after 250 hours, then every 500 hours after that, but I could be wrong.

But you do NOT need to change the hydro fluid after the first 10 hours.

Shawn S
06-16-2011, 10:33 PM
I did change the engine oil and filter.

The 10 hour interval goes like this:
Change engine oil and filter.
Change transmission oil and filter.
Check hydraulic pump drive belt.
Check mower deck drive belt tension.
Check and tighten drive wheel hardware to specification.
Check transmission neutral adjustment.
Check wheel bolt torque frequently.
Check and adjust park brake.
6 items like checking belts, parking brake, etc.

Ridin' Green
06-16-2011, 11:21 PM
All machines are different, so if your operator's manual for your machine says to do it- do it. They made it, and they should know.

On the other hand.......... I have seen an enormous amount of misprints and mis information in much of Deere's printed media and on site media lately, so if it'll put your mind at ease, ask the dealer you bought it from.
Like MB said above, usually the oil is what it required to be changed at that low of hour reading. My new Z720A required the first oil change at 8 hours, but not the hydro's. They specified 100 hours before the first hydro fliud and filter change on that model. It mostly depends on which hydro unit they use for which machine.