PDA

View Full Version : Any of you charge by the square foot for new installations?

Century Landscape
06-16-2011, 09:33 PM
Hey guys,

Do any of you charge or bid by the square foot for new landscaping and bed installation? I'm working up a bid for someone and part of it included irrigation, which I currently don't offer. So I talked with an irrigation contractor I know and respect and when he gave me the bid for this job, he asked me how I charge and how much and so on. He told me that a lady that he works with pretty often who does landscaping charges either $5.00 or $6.00 a square foot for bed installation with all materials (plants too!) and labor.

Does this sound wrong to anybody besides me, or is this a pretty common thing that I'm unaware of? Flat square foot for bed installation not including plants makes perfect sense - assuming a simple installation and fixed material costs such as soil mix and fert - but including plants? Seems to me like that would be highly subjective depending on what type of plants they are installing.

Anyhow, does anybody else do things this way? Please sound off, I would love to know what a general consensus is here. Just so happens, my estimate will work out to around that much with all plants included, but that can't be an accurate way to figure.

Thanks for the responses