PDA

View Full Version : mower turf ripping

mike9497
10-17-2002, 12:50 AM
i have many models of exmark mowers.it seems that on most lawns my walk behinds rip up the grass when turning or backing up.what can i do to make this stop?my riders and older walk behinds don`t rip the turf.

Guido
10-17-2002, 01:25 AM
Is it hydro or belt drive?

strickdad
10-17-2002, 01:34 AM
one thing you can try is playing with tire air pressures. try lowering them a little and this should help

mike9497
10-17-2002, 01:56 AM
i tried messin with the tires but they still do it.there turf tracer hps and regular turf tracers

ddavisjr
10-17-2002, 11:40 AM
Mike,
I always pull the pivot (inside) wheel back toward me when I am turning. This makes sure that the tire does not just sit in the same spot and tear/twist the grass. So if am turning toward my left: I squeeze the pistol grip and pull back with my left arm on my belt drives (if hydro I just squeeze til the tire wants to go in reverse) and the right tire moves forward while the left moves back and I am then ready to make the next pass. Hope this helps.

mdb landscaping
10-17-2002, 11:58 AM
i agree with davis jr. try pulling back the inside wheel when turning. if its a hydro, just pull back on the levers, but if its belt, youll have to use some brute strength. hope this helps.

Gravely_Man
10-17-2002, 12:47 PM
Both wheels on a walk behind must be moving or you will tear up the turf big time. One wheel turns one way and the other wheel turns the opposite. This translates to the inside wheel turning toward the rear of the machine the outside wheel turning to the front of the machine.

Gravely_Man

rodfather
10-17-2002, 05:49 PM
Gravely Man said it...and don't forget to change the direction you're mowing. I like mowing at 90 degrees one week, 45 the next. This way you are not week after week turning in the same area.

just my 2 cents