PDA

View Full Version : Sprinkler systems and driveway markers

Joel B.
10-17-2002, 01:08 AM
How do I tell where the sprinkler system pipe is when I pound in a marker stake (for snow plowing) along a driveway? I see sprinkler heads along driveways all the time and am wondering how you know where the pipe is to avoid it. If I see sprinkler heads running alongside the driveway, is the pipe running parallel or perpendicular to the driveway?

Thanks for any ideas,

Joel B.

Ground Master
10-17-2002, 09:30 AM
Its anyones guess where the pipe runs. However, most likely it runs parallel with the driveway, but not right up against it. Its difficult to trench close to driveway because you run the risk of damaging the driveway with the trencher. You should be safe if you put your markers as close to the driveway edge as you can.

turfman59
10-26-2002, 08:21 PM
If you want a quick inexpensive way use two pieces of wire or rod that are thin enough to bend in a "" L"" 4 1/2 " by 9" hold them in you hands about shoulder width apart point in the direction your walking I am not joking this will work... I've been saved many times with these little witching sticks... Ive been able to find telephone lines, abandoned water lines down 6 ft and even sprinkler wire... I saw them used by a oil driller once to find a line that needed to be dug up and it had been down a long time ( 40 years) where he had the backhoe digging was dead on with where he estimated it being . He used welding Rod but ive used a coat hanger before.