PDA

View Full Version : Exmark propane or Ferris propane?

cimkill
06-16-2011, 10:54 PM
I live in Belize and started a lawn buisness gas is $6.00 a gallon butane which is basically the same as propane is $2.00 a gallon. Which one of these brands cut the best? Has anyone used either of these I currently have a Hustler Z 60 in with 27kohler?

cuttin-to-the-Max
06-17-2011, 12:03 AM
Well IMO i think Ferris' are Gay.
the suspension sucks and is the dumbest idea ever!
I think exmark is number 1 for the nicest cut on the market
But if you dont care how the cut is but need to get a large area cut quick i would get a Dixie Chopper.....

I used to have a 72" with dual engines, but the cut was kinda ugly but it cuts really fast!

rockymtnmf
06-17-2011, 12:08 AM
I've never priced out the propane models. How do the prices compare to gas models?

cuttin-to-the-Max
06-17-2011, 12:22 AM
I've never priced out the propane models. How do the prices compare to gas models?

I know i was looking into it a couple years ago.... At the time they were about 2k cheaper than the gas ones. But then in the US the gov't was giving "rebates" for them for another 2k so That would make it 4k cheaper than a gas model

then also propane goes down in the summer.So you would save more there too.

Only reason i didnt get a propane mower was because i rent all my machines now except for one. And for some reason they dont rent propane exmarks

ommegang
06-17-2011, 09:03 AM
http://www.the-lawn-advisor.com/Commerical-Grade-Lawn-Mowers.html

rwaters
06-17-2011, 09:14 AM
I live in Belize and started a lawn buisness gas is $6.00 a gallon butane which is basically the same as propane is $2.00 a gallon. Which one of these brands cut the best? Has anyone used either of these I currently have a Hustler Z 60 in with 27kohler?

That would depend on the grass your cutting and dealer setup. That is why you get so many opinions on here. If your happy with your mower you could just convert it to propane as well.

rwaters
06-17-2011, 09:17 AM
http://www.the-lawn-advisor.com/Commerical-Grade-Lawn-Mowers.html

I have seen that site before, and also noticed noplace on the site does the operator say they tested the equipment or on what grass. WORTHLESS INFO.

cimkill
06-17-2011, 10:09 AM
It seem like the exmark is 13,000 for the lazer zx and the ferris comes in at 12000. The thing is if I buy the exmarks and purchase 2 lazer zx and 1 walk behind all in propane i get fleet pricing according to one dealer which drops price by1700 on almost each unit.

cimkill
06-17-2011, 10:21 AM
That would depend on the grass your cutting and dealer setup. That is why you get so many opinions on here. If your happy with your mower you could just convert it to propane as well.

Thanks for the reply see i am a florida boy that moved down here and there are no dealers everything that happens i have to fix myself warranties are useless. It rains 9 months out of the year down here grass is almost always wet or damp and grows like crazy worse than florida during the summer. The hustler does great in these conditions but doesnt make a propane model or i would just buy more hustlers. The other thing is the ground is rough bounce you out of the seat rough. nobody here has thought about box blading anything terrain is rough and hilly. Any suggestions?

ed2hess
06-17-2011, 07:35 PM

Some states pay a fair amount of cost when you buy a new mower with propane.

Propane Powered
07-06-2011, 09:00 AM
There is a Company named Alt Fuel that provides a Bi Fuel upgrade system for any gas motors up to 45 hp. It is a much better option than buying new for many. I can provide a contact for them if requested (I don't want to be accused of promoting a company site or spamming) :>)
Randy

rwaters
07-06-2011, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the reply see i am a florida boy that moved down here and there are no dealers everything that happens i have to fix myself warranties are useless. It rains 9 months out of the year down here grass is almost always wet or damp and grows like crazy worse than florida during the summer. The hustler does great in these conditions but doesnt make a propane model or i would just buy more hustlers. The other thing is the ground is rough bounce you out of the seat rough. nobody here has thought about box blading anything terrain is rough and hilly. Any suggestions?

sorry about my delay in replying I have been busy in the shop and did not see your post. I would hate to recommend any kits as I have never done a conversion, I know of a lot of mowers that have been done just never had a need to do one. I am in an area where you can not get propane easily. I even run a gas forktruck.

rwaters
07-06-2011, 09:53 AM
Another thing you might look at are the Bobcat and Dixie Chopper propane as the Generac engines seems have a better valve setup for propane conversions. They should last longer.

Propane Powered
07-06-2011, 10:05 AM
While running on liquid propane may require modified valves, running on a propane vapor system is a different story. Vapor systems can run on any gasoline engine without modifying the engine. They are bi-fuel so you can switch back and forth between fuels as needed. I know numerous propane companies and am not real familiar with an area that can not get propane. Please let me know where you are located as I can probably connect you with a propane provider that can get you propane for a very fair price.
Call me at Eight 0ne zero seven one zero one two six seven if you have any questions I can answer. I will be travelling the next two weeks and not at the computer much.
Randy

rwaters
07-06-2011, 10:16 AM
the nearest one is 20 miles away, I have a gas station about a block away.

nathannc
07-06-2011, 02:45 PM
Despite the dismissive response of one respondent who likens the Ferris and it's suspension to one who deviates widely from the sexual norm, the Ferris and it's suspension combine to make one great machine.

I have had eXmarks and they have a good cut and from most accounts are a reliable mower. My advice is try both machines under the conditions in which you are going to be using them. My guess is that, if you are like many, that Ferris suspension is going to be the deciding factor. It will make you more productive and save your back to boot. Good luck.

cimkill
07-06-2011, 03:06 PM
Thank you all for responding, I greatly appreciate all the feedback. I have ended up going with the ferris being that my hustler dealer that I am used to just started selling Ferris. I purchased a IS3100zp that runs exclusively on propane! I should have it here in this country bye the 11th of July. Propane Powered I left out a very important piece of info, and if any of you guys could answer this I would greatly appreciate it. Down here they dont use propane they use BUTANE. I did not realize this but have already bought and shipped the ferris. I believe its the same type of gas just that butane is like using high octane versus low octane. If anyone knows this info would greatly appreciate it. Thankyou all again for your input.

groverandson
09-28-2011, 01:23 PM
bobcat predator pro propane