PDA

View Full Version : Nightscaping...

ELumin8
06-17-2011, 12:30 AM
I will stir the pot here...I intend to defend an elderly lady who is busting her back to turn Nightscaping around.

Consider the situation, uncle Bill passes away and the leader & captain is gone. Sales drop due to bad management, dishonesty, bad press, economic conditions. Other manufacturers see this as a time to strike. Loyal Nightscaping contractors and distributors start an exodus and sales erode.

So what of Nightscaping? What of Bill's wife? What of the Hand crafted in America for over 50 years? Should we care, or just get excited in the gossip?

This year I have installed more Nightscaping than ever! I plan to increase that out of respect for an elderly lady who is trying to make something work and I will commend her for that by using her products. Why don't some of you guys join me. Let's give back what we know Bill would give to any one of us.
:usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag:

SPEEDSKI
06-19-2011, 12:06 AM
I will stir the pot here...I intend to defend an elderly lady who is busting her back to turn Nightscaping around.

Consider the situation, uncle Bill passes away and the leader & captain is gone. Sales drop due to bad management, dishonesty, bad press, economic conditions. Other manufacturers see this as a time to strike. Loyal Nightscaping contractors and distributors start an exodus and sales erode.

So what of Nightscaping? What of Bill's wife? What of the Hand crafted in America for over 50 years? Should we care, or just get excited in the gossip?

This year I have installed more Nightscaping than ever! I plan to increase that out of respect for an elderly lady who is trying to make something work and I will commend her for that by using her products. Why don't some of you guys join me. Let's give back what we know Bill would give to any one of us.

I like that idea!

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
06-19-2011, 09:20 AM
If only it was that simple...

sprinklerchris
06-19-2011, 10:28 PM

Elderly lady needs to find a buyer for the company while there's still something left to sell. Time's a wastin.

Classic Lighting
06-19-2011, 10:59 PM
I just don't see an elderly lady being able to keep a lighting manufacturer innovative and progressive in such a competitive market. So this lady inherited this business from her deceased husband (a great, innovative businessman). What exactly does she know about the business?
From an outsider looking in, it appears that she is not a good fit and needs to consider bringing in some new blood with experience in this:usflag: industry.

David Gretzmier
06-20-2011, 12:10 AM
While I am touched by a an american kind of story, and I installed hundreds of Nightscaping fixtures and transformers in the somewhat distant past, I agree with James it is not that simple. I can't really tell my customers I buy product from a company because I am trying to help a particular company make a go of it. They really expect me to use the best products and the best methods, and at the same time provide a value for that at a certain price.

I still love the look of some of nightscaping fixtures, but neither of my local distributors sell or do warranty service on the product line. sorry.

Lite4
06-20-2011, 09:41 AM

Sorry brother, but this sounds like obummers philosophy for keeping GM around. (we all know how that is working out), Sometimes, you just have to let business take its course, even if that means collapse. The smartest and most innovative businesses will always survive, thrive and stay ahead of the curve. Isn't that the philosophy we take with our business when we compare ourselves with the local competition?

ELumin8
06-22-2011, 01:57 PM
Nightscaping Welcomes Our New CEO!

Nightscaping®, the originator of the 12 volt lighting industry, announces new leadership with the hiring of Richard (Rick) A. Henninger of Corona, CA. as their new CEO.

Rick is a Senior Executive with 25 years of expertise in P & L, Sales, Marketing, Customer Service, Estimating/bidding, Administration, Strategic Planning, H/R and Safety. He is a Team oriented executive with an entrepreneurial management style that he has successfully applied in a wide variety of environments, ranging from high growth startup companies to divisional management for Fortune 50 Corporations. Rick has managed a direct sales force in Europe and Asia, as well as in U.S. He has outstanding communication and presentation skills; and has the ability to attract and retain top quality Sales & Customer Service teams, yielding uncommon loyalty and team spirit. He has a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration from the University of Redlands, in Redlands, California.

David Gretzmier
06-24-2011, 09:59 AM
great ! instructions for Rick to save nightscaping-

figure out a way to build the perfect heavy mr-16 bullet that uses both halogen and led retrofits. perfectly sealed, shrouded, with an awesome socket. alas, it must be priced competitively or folks won't buy. Don't re-invent the wheel, take a good light out there being manufactured already and make it perfect. we could start a list here of wants and wishes. This light is the most important thing you could do. every lighting guy uses hundreds if not thousands per year.

next do the same with a pathlight.

and a puck light.

and your transformer line.

and once you make a product that is better that your competition, at a reasonable price, you will find that folks will line up buy your products again.

and yes, at some point you need to get rid of the product in your line that does not work well or uses bulbs from 1978.

it really is that simple.

irrig8r
06-25-2011, 02:28 AM
...and yes, at some point you need to get rid of the product in your line that does not work well or uses bulbs from 1978.

Point well taken.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda...

LLC RI
07-18-2011, 07:57 PM
If many of us think back, it was Nightscaping and Bill Locklin who got us 'started' in landscape lighting. I know for me, it was back in 1987 when I first handled a Nightscaping fixture. I thought it was the coolest concept, so I made a business out of it. In 1991, I was one of the elite 30 or so nationwide who were selected to attend, at their expense, the first ever Nightscaping University.

I was saddened to hear of Bills passing and even more upset to hear what was going on with the company. I heard many different stories and figured that somewhere within them all, lie the truth.

I remember talking with Lavesta when she needed a money infusion and I suggested to her to offer 250 shares of Nightscaping at $1,000 per share. I figured contractors like us who were familliar with Nightscaping would be part owners and help set the company on the right course.

Well, that didn't happen and hindsight is 20/20.

I still do use some Nightscaping fixtures and will continue to do so, simply because they are the best suited for the application. I still love the Sagitta. Nothing beats this little square light for lighting those aluminum or steel fence posts that are just a tad bit bigger than the Sagitta itself. I tell you, it looks like they grew on the post when I'm all done with the install.

The soffitliter has made many of my clients happy by giving them a soft down light over each of their garage doors. They like that it's recessed and hidden. I've recently been using Illumicares Single contact bayonet LED in those Soffitliters and gotten great results.

Starliters are great for those hanging plants around a porch or mounted to arms along a fence. Small, copper, and whimsical... everyone I've put them in for, love them.

Point here is, with all the products out there, it's impossible to stick with just one or even two manufacturers, but if you REALLY study all the lines, you'll find something from everyone that fills a need.

George

RLDesign
07-20-2011, 06:37 PM
Hello All,

Nice post George. I have learned a lot from many in this industry. You and a few others gave me a good start. My start came at Nightscaping, and I know there are many that came that route. I just sat down with Nightscaping's new sales manager, Terry Henson, and my local manager, who flew from Cali to NJ to meet with myself and a few others. We discussed my use of LED, various products, and the future of lighting in my world. I took time out of my day, and it was well worth it. For all those who still use NS and for some that left for whatever reason, this new line of management filled my sail with wind. It was nice to see a true sense of what I remember from Nightscaping. I still use a large variety of pieces from Nightscaping, because I cannot get them elsewhere... no one makes 'em better or as USA built. I still have trouble finding a transformer that is as safe and reliable as Nightscaping - my opinion and experience. I hope in every possible way that Nightscaping continues strong - my meeting today was proof it will. I always like to see positive things for a company that made me who I am today in this lighting world. Sometimes I have to kick myself in the ass to get me out of my rutt or to remind myself to be darn remarkable - thank you Bill Locklin. Bill did not always see eye to eye with everyone or make the best business decisions, but the system that started it all is still a good solid system. I use a wide variety of product now, at the advice of many on this forum. I designed and installed a recent project that was FX, Nightscaping, Unique, SPJ, SAI, CS, and CAST. It really made me proud to be able to perfectly blend all that product into one design.

Please reach out to Terry Henson, as his attentive nature was worth my time writing this post and meeting him yesterday.

Best regards,

Tanek Hood
Reynolds Lighting

One thing that Nightscaping always encouraged me to do was to put our company in the best light - get press as much as possible... to follow is a flurry of press related to my work (much of it is exclusively installed using Nightscaping)

PRESS LINKS:
To follow is a list of press/media items, including a nice feature of a backyard and pool patio that Mark Reynolds designed, located here: “Life's a Beach” http://njmonthly.com/articles/jerseyshore/lifes-a-beach.html. Also featured in the same issue of NJMonthly “Summer Showers” has some nice images as well on our showers, located here. http://njmonthly.com/articles/lifestyle/homeandgarden/summer-showers.html An August 2011 Design NJ story, “Bayside Bounty” features one of our exterior renovation projects with lighting, water feature, exterior/interior plants, irrigation, planting, and fencework - that link is located here. http://www.designnewjersey.com/features/index.cfm?id=114
If you pick up the May issue of NJMonthly magazine, there is a landscape lighting feature story on our Reynolds Lighting team, called "A Bright Idea". Our firm has been designing and servicing landscape and site lighting for 15 years in Southern Ocean County. If you cannot get a copy of the print issue of the magazine, the story is located here: http://njmonthly.com/articles/lifestyle/homeandgarden/a-bright-idea.html.
Another landscape lighting feature in DesignNJ from last year here: http://www.designnewjersey.com/features/index.cfm?id=68 Both these links have my interview, quotes, and photos of our lighting work in Manahawkin, West Creek, and LBI. I am a passionate lighting designer, member of IDA, IES, AOLP, and IA. I take lighting in stride and have too much fun creating functional outdoor lighting designs that fit Mark Reynolds’ gardens. If you are interested in lighting, I can meet with you anytime to discuss some of your ideas and my design principals. On page 38 in the recent issue of Echoes of LBI, there is a unique feature on outdoor dining and our outdoor kitchen division on page 38 located here http://issuu.com/echoesoflbi/docs/spring2011. There are also 2 features on outdoor edible planters and outdoor showers in the upcoming August issue of Echoes of LBI.
Here is a YouTube Soprano’s intro to the Reynolds being featured as the intro Garden Center on the Garden Centers of America tour.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNapbXJVli4. The garden shop and their flower team is also featured in the June issue of DesignNJ, with another LBI story, “Pots with Staying Power”, which has their interview on our flower pots and planters, plus this live link to “Staying Fresh” from last summer with mixed perennial/annual gardens from last year. http://www.designnewjersey.com/features/index.cfm?id=82

A few of these links and many others are located at our media file. You can also view our photo gallery, located here: http://www.reynoldsgardenshop.com/Gallery_Intro.htm Feel free to stop by our landscape studio showroom inside Oskar Huber Furniture & Design in Ship Bottom – where there is a control switch and sample lighting fixtures.

niteliters
07-21-2011, 08:01 AM
Hello All,

Nice post George. I have learned a lot from many in this industry. You and a few others gave me a good start. My start came at Nightscaping, and I know there are many that came that route. I just sat down with Nightscaping's new sales manager, Terry Henson, and my local manager, who flew from Cali to NJ to meet with myself and a few others. We discussed my use of LED, various products, and the future of lighting in my world. I took time out of my day, and it was well worth it. For all those who still use NS and for some that left for whatever reason, this new line of management filled my sail with wind. It was nice to see a true sense of what I remember from Nightscaping. I still use a large variety of pieces from Nightscaping, because I cannot get them elsewhere... no one makes 'em better or as USA built. I still have trouble finding a transformer that is as safe and reliable as Nightscaping - my opinion and experience. I hope in every possible way that Nightscaping continues strong - my meeting today was proof it will. I always like to see positive things for a company that made me who I am today in this lighting world. Sometimes I have to kick myself in the ass to get me out of my rutt or to remind myself to be darn remarkable - thank you Bill Locklin. Bill did not always see eye to eye with everyone or make the best business decisions, but the system that started it all is still a good solid system. I use a wide variety of product now, at the advice of many on this forum. I designed and installed a recent project that was FX, Nightscaping, Unique, SPJ, SAI, CS, and CAST. It really made me proud to be able to perfectly blend all that product into one design.

Please reach out to Terry Henson, as his attentive nature was worth my time writing this post and meeting him yesterday.

Best regards,

Tanek Hood
Reynolds Lighting

One thing that Nightscaping always encouraged me to do was to put our company in the best light - get press as much as possible... to follow is a flurry of press related to my work (much of it is exclusively installed using Nightscaping)

PRESS LINKS:
To follow is a list of press/media items, including a nice feature of a backyard and pool patio that Mark Reynolds designed, located here: “Life's a Beach” http://njmonthly.com/articles/jerseyshore/lifes-a-beach.html. Also featured in the same issue of NJMonthly “Summer Showers” has some nice images as well on our showers, located here. http://njmonthly.com/articles/lifestyle/homeandgarden/summer-showers.html An August 2011 Design NJ story, “Bayside Bounty” features one of our exterior renovation projects with lighting, water feature, exterior/interior plants, irrigation, planting, and fencework - that link is located here. http://www.designnewjersey.com/features/index.cfm?id=114
If you pick up the May issue of NJMonthly magazine, there is a landscape lighting feature story on our Reynolds Lighting team, called "A Bright Idea". Our firm has been designing and servicing landscape and site lighting for 15 years in Southern Ocean County. If you cannot get a copy of the print issue of the magazine, the story is located here: http://njmonthly.com/articles/lifestyle/homeandgarden/a-bright-idea.html.
Another landscape lighting feature in DesignNJ from last year here: http://www.designnewjersey.com/features/index.cfm?id=68 Both these links have my interview, quotes, and photos of our lighting work in Manahawkin, West Creek, and LBI. I am a passionate lighting designer, member of IDA, IES, AOLP, and IA. I take lighting in stride and have too much fun creating functional outdoor lighting designs that fit Mark Reynolds’ gardens. If you are interested in lighting, I can meet with you anytime to discuss some of your ideas and my design principals. On page 38 in the recent issue of Echoes of LBI, there is a unique feature on outdoor dining and our outdoor kitchen division on page 38 located here http://issuu.com/echoesoflbi/docs/spring2011. There are also 2 features on outdoor edible planters and outdoor showers in the upcoming August issue of Echoes of LBI.
Here is a YouTube Soprano’s intro to the Reynolds being featured as the intro Garden Center on the Garden Centers of America tour.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNapbXJVli4. The garden shop and their flower team is also featured in the June issue of DesignNJ, with another LBI story, “Pots with Staying Power”, which has their interview on our flower pots and planters, plus this live link to “Staying Fresh” from last summer with mixed perennial/annual gardens from last year. http://www.designnewjersey.com/features/index.cfm?id=82

A few of these links and many others are located at our media file. You can also view our photo gallery, located here: http://www.reynoldsgardenshop.com/Gallery_Intro.htm Feel free to stop by our landscape studio showroom inside Oskar Huber Furniture & Design in Ship Bottom – where there is a control switch and sample lighting fixtures.

Tanek, not sure if you use, sure you probably know, the Ti035 power switch is back. Not a lot of bells and whistles, but easy to program and a rock solid timer for us. weathered power outages of up to two weeks thru hurricane Ike and an ice storm a few years ago