PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use mini ex for land clearing?

toomuchtime
06-17-2011, 12:51 AM
Looking for some insight for those that have done it. I currently have a cat 289c that I use a br378 highflo deck to do clearing with. It does great a but I am finding the need to do selective clearing of 4-6" young trees as well as clear around the bases of larger trees weaving the 289 with a 72" deck in and out of small trees can be tuff at times. I am in socal so trees to me is proabably saplings to u guys in the east and Midwest. Most of my work is brush and open mountain terrain were the 289 does great but lately it seems I'm finding valleys or canyons with trees the customers want partially removed or selectively removed and I have to send a crew in with chain saws. With a mini ex I thinking a use a rockhound type attachment and selectvely remove branches and clear around the trunks a little easier and quicker. My question is I'm looking in the 5-6 ton mini ex 305.5 or some similar do these machines posses the hydraulic power to run a cutting head with power for mulching type applications?
Posted via Mobile Device

AWJ Services
06-17-2011, 08:49 AM
I have a Kx161 that has 20 GPM available on the Aux and the only thing available is a Flail mower and it is limited to smaller stuff. 6 inch is pretty big.

Do you just want the stuff knocked down or does it need to be mulched up?

toomuchtime
06-17-2011, 09:24 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

toomuchtime
06-17-2011, 09:34 AM
Awj the kx161 is a very nice machine that is about the size I am looking. I don't want to go bigger cause I still would like to be able to move it myself and have the ability to do dirt work in tighter places. On the land clearing side of the things 6" is Max and for the most part if there is something that size on site it stays most likely but I alot of times I'll need to take a few low hanging branchs here and there without destroying the tree.most of the stuff is smaller then 6" but I would need it semi mulched once it's on the ground.
Posted via Mobile Device

stan the man
06-17-2011, 09:48 AM
this is what i have got 4 weeks ago 2007 kx 161-3 it great i all so have 2010 kubota l4400 with back hoe

SiteSolutions
06-17-2011, 11:17 AM
I have cleared a lot of property using a mini excavator in the 5-6 ton size. They are great for clearing. Combined with a grapple on a CTL for the underbrush, I can be very productive and leave a very clean finished product.

Take a look at Dirtman's recent pics of clearing lots; those jobs could be done with a Kubota 161, although a step up to the 8 ton machine would be nice. (I'm sure the big Volvo makes it go quicker but the smaller machines will handle any tree in those recent pics)

Of course mowing or mulching is a whole nother thing...

ioilyouin
06-17-2011, 04:20 PM
I think you'd be hard pressed to find a mulching head for a 5/6 ton machine. I believe a few manufacturers make them for 8 tonners, 12-15 ton heads are more common place. BTW, I could probably use a mulching head for my 5 tonner. If anyone is listening.

AWJ Services
06-17-2011, 06:35 PM
Most mulching heads weigh in the 1200 to 1500 pound range so your looking at a 10 ton machine to run it.
No one makes a mulching head for machines like mine that I know of. The sales people could not convince me to invest 8k+ in a mower but others have used them and had good luck?

4 seasons lawn&land
06-17-2011, 07:56 PM
No mulchers for anything under a 70 size machine. Twice the size your looking at. We have cleared some area using a 40 just chain sawing & raking it up with the mini and that worked well but you still have the stumps and digging stumps makes a mess.

toomuchtime
06-17-2011, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the info guys maybe I'm wording it wrong. Something along these lines maybe its more of flail type mower
http://rockhound.com/Products/40EX%20HammerHead

Were I'm at we don't have stumps. Cause if it's big enough to have a stump property owners wants it to stay lol I'll post some pics of the terrain im usually in a little later
Posted via Mobile Device

minimax
06-17-2011, 10:24 PM
There is a 30" fixed tooth mulching head for a 5 ton machine that will do 8-10" size wood made by Advanced forest equiment.http://www.advancedforest.com/.
I will say there will be a fixed tooth head for as small as a 35 size hoe made by a diff. Mower make some time soon they are making one for me to try out and test.
Minimax
Posted via Mobile Device

toomuchtime
06-18-2011, 09:48 AM
Look like nice heads but not slot of supporting info. Have you ran one on a mini ex?
Posted via Mobile Device

GWhunter
06-18-2011, 03:23 PM
Interesting , looks similar to a Promac unit. Mini, AFE is building a 3.5ton prototype for you to demo? I hope they'll let you post pics. I know from conversations with Cimaf they felt there's no market for that size mulcher but I don't agree.

Matt

AWJ Services
06-19-2011, 11:03 AM
Interesting , looks similar to a Promac unit. Mini, AFE is building a 3.5ton prototype for you to demo? I hope they'll let you post pics. I know from conversations with Cimaf they felt there's no market for that size mulcher but I don't agree.

Matt

The head would be 35k . So how would you market that to a guy with a mini ex?

minimax
06-19-2011, 11:27 AM
Matt it is not AFE builting the phototype,when I can tell you who I will.
AFE's head has a price of 15k for a 30" head.I'm running into alot of bigger wood jobs in very hard to reach spots,like 6 foot wide dikes with 6 inch wood all over them,no way to put a 120 size machine on them.

minimax

GWhunter
06-19-2011, 07:13 PM
The head would be 35k . So how would you market that to a guy with a mini ex?

There's no reason the heads needs to cost $35k. But I do agree that it's difficult to market the heads due to the size of the market.

Matt

AWJ Services
06-19-2011, 07:18 PM
There's no reason the heads needs to cost $35k. But I do agree that it's difficult to market the heads due to the size of the market.

Matt

You would need to speak with the manufacters about this then. There is no mulching solution for mini ex's out there right now. Hopefully that will change.