PDA

View Full Version : Chevy Dovetail Mowing Truck Complete

stang2244
06-17-2011, 02:54 AM
I have been using this truck for the last couple of months I just haven't had any time to take pics. The build thread is here http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=343740&highlight=chevy+dovetail . It gets used 5 days a week to mow residential only. It's equiped with a 40" Toro, a 21" Toro and Redmax handhelds with an extreme trimmer rack. It has worked out very well thus far. The route is so tight that one tank of gas lasts 3 weeks in this thing. I wish the truck itself was newer but it does the job for now.

THEGOLDPRO
06-17-2011, 11:28 AM
Awesome man! Looks like a nice compact rig.

STIHL GUY
06-17-2011, 12:02 PM
looks nice. i bet thats much easier than hauling a trailer around with you everywhere

Scag413
06-17-2011, 12:28 PM
Great set-up.That's a great way to be efficient.

eatonpcat
06-17-2011, 01:39 PM
Very nice job!!

bobcat48
06-17-2011, 07:06 PM
Looks great,wow that is real nice setup there.

zturncutter
06-17-2011, 07:16 PM
Now that's a money maker :cool2:

flatlander42
06-17-2011, 09:06 PM
Looks good!!

What kinda mpg do you figure.....Not that it matters much, I'd kill to get 3 weeks out of a tank!!

SNAPPER MAN
06-17-2011, 09:29 PM
That is awesome! I wouldn't want a newer truck if I was you. Those old trucks last forever and parts are cheap. How many man crew you run??
Posted via Mobile Device

ChevHayes
06-17-2011, 10:18 PM
Looks nice!!! Only problem I would have would be where to put the grass?? We collect apprx. 50% of our lawns..Don't get me wrong, these types of trucks definately have their place!!!

stang2244
06-17-2011, 11:21 PM
Thanks for all the compliments!! I run two guys in this truck as I've found that to be the most efficient for this application. As for the grass, the only yards that get bagged are the ones we use the small mower with(the 40" has a mulch kit). They just use the can and 50 gallon trash bags and stack them in front of the 40". The most they've had after one day is 2 bags. If I were to bag more then this definitely wouldn't be ideal.
Posted via Mobile Device

salviiip
07-10-2011, 09:45 PM
Looks great! I love to see more and more guys using these types of setups. They are great way to go for a smaller basic setup. Have you seen mine? Great job man.

http://dogwoodlawnandlandscape.com/DSC02847.JPG

TennisBum
07-10-2011, 10:46 PM
I want one :drinkup:

XLS
07-10-2011, 10:54 PM
nice setup nice and simple
Posted via Mobile Device

stang2244
07-11-2011, 12:30 AM
Very nice! Your setup is even more compact than mine! How does that thing handle the weight of the ztr?

Exact Rototilling
07-11-2011, 01:11 AM
Looks nice!!! Only problem I would have would be where to put the grass?? We collect apprx. 50% of our lawns..Don't get me wrong, these types of trucks definately have their place!!!

GREAT RIG! :clapping:

The dreaded clipping removal and haul off scenario....:cry: This is the weak link of the dovetail flatbed conversion. However if you run solo it is less of an issue...thus fewer properties mowed in a day.

The other head banger is the trailer towing ability is lost. At times a trailer is a must...so I would need the versatility of a removable dovetail....? Pull trailer early in season....loose the trailer just after spring growth burst is over and I loose the aerator, power rake and rototiller.

slight hi-jack....OK....I've been brain storming....[thinking out loud here]....how to be able to pack clippings running solo even during the spring growth burst yet maintain most if not all the needed floor space of the main part of the flat bed for equipment. I use 6' x 6' burlap squares for clipping removal so I was thinking of a cab over rack made specifically for stacking and packing the dimensions of burlap squares with the corners tied up. Also the possibility of the added versatility of part of the headache rack could also be seasonally modified or altered to also accommodate more clippings. The problem with all these clippings with an overhead rack and or a seasonally modified headache rack is all the weight added to the truck up high. Plus the equipment I would run which would be a yBravo 25 and just one of the BOP Quick 32, 36 or 44 mowers I run depending on the mowing route.

Ok....the other issue is Snow removal. My main weapon 80% of the time for smallish residential driveways is a Toro single stage blower that weighs in at under 80 pounds. I currently lift the those sized blowers in and out of the back of my truck [tailgate down] at every stop. It goes quick and I can crank out 35 clients pretty quickly.....solo. I also run a HS1132 2 stage Honda when conditions dictate it's need which is less than 30% of the time. So..... what I'm getting at is NOT having to grunt lift the Toro single stage blowers up to the height of the flatbed....?

Ideas on any of the above....?

salviiip
07-11-2011, 09:48 PM
The other head banger is the trailer towing ability is lost. At times a trailer is a must...so I would need the versatility of a removable dovetail....? Pull trailer early in season....loose the trailer just after spring growth burst is over and I loose the aerator, power rake and rototiller.

There is no reason why you can't tow with a dovetail. Judging from the way stang built his truck, it should handle towing a trailer fine. I tow a bobcat on an 18' trailer behind this one.

It's a 12' long body, 8 feet flat and 4 feet of dovetail. Towing a trailer has never been an issue. Incidentally, the body is for sale. http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/grd/2488600145.html

http://dogwoodlawnandlandscape.com/for sale/DSC02722.JPG

salviiip
07-11-2011, 09:52 PM
Very nice! Your setup is even more compact than mine! How does that thing handle the weight of the ztr?

That 2.4 mitsubishi engine has plenty of power to move the way it is loaded in the pic. You can ask lawnsite member "cut level", he bought it from me. Here's the thread containing more pictures of it.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=353145&page=4

stang2244
07-12-2011, 03:23 AM
GREAT RIG! :clapping:

The dreaded clipping removal and haul off scenario....:cry: This is the weak link of the dovetail flatbed conversion. However if you run solo it is less of an issue...thus fewer properties mowed in a day.

slight hi-jack....OK....I've been brain storming....[thinking out loud here]....how to be able to pack clippings running solo even during the spring growth burst yet maintain most if not all the needed floor space of the main part of the flat bed for equipment. I use 6' x 6' burlap squares for clipping removal so I was thinking of a cab over rack made specifically for stacking and packing the dimensions of burlap squares with the corners tied up. Also the possibility of the added versatility of part of the headache rack could also be seasonally modified or altered to also accommodate more clippings. The problem with all these clippings with an overhead rack and or a seasonally modified headache rack is all the weight added to the truck up high. Plus the equipment I would run which would be a yBravo 25 and just one of the BOP Quick 32, 36 or 44 mowers I run depending on the mowing route.

Ok....the other issue is Snow removal. My main weapon 80% of the time for smallish residential driveways is a Toro single stage blower that weighs in at under 80 pounds. I currently lift the those sized blowers in and out of the back of my truck [tailgate down] at every stop. It goes quick and I can crank out 35 clients pretty quickly.....solo. I also run a HS1132 2 stage Honda when conditions dictate it's need which is less than 30% of the time. So..... what I'm getting at is NOT having to grunt lift the Toro single stage blowers up to the height of the flatbed....?

Ideas on any of the above....?

Exact,

I have 2 guys in this truck for mowing 5 days a week during the growing season. It was used to aerate and fert during the beginning of the season(just drive my aerator/load my fert and spreader straight into the bed). There isn't a time when this truck will need to tow a trailer. Clippings are collected only when using the 21" mower and are bagged & thrown in the front of the bed. The 40" has a mulch kit on it so we only get (2) 50 gallon bags in one day at the most.

As for the winter, I use shovels 90% of the time on my residential accounts so this truck will work great. For the times that I use the single stage blowers, there is always 2 guys per truck so loading them in won't be a problem. This truck is setup very specifically for the types of accounts I have and probably won't work well if you have a great variety of account sizes.

That 2.4 mitsubishi engine has plenty of power to move the way it is loaded in the pic. You can ask lawnsite member "cut level", he bought it from me. Here's the thread containing more pictures of it.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=353145&page=4

That's awesome. I love your 4 door with the dovetail as well. Why are you selling it?!

salviiip
07-14-2011, 09:18 AM
That's awesome. I love your 4 door with the dovetail as well. Why are you selling it?!

I am making the move to a box truck with dovetail and plan to put a dumpbed on this truck. I am only selling the landscaping body. Anybody out there interested? It will fit any full size 3/4 ton or larger truck originally fitted with and 8' long bed.