PDA

View Full Version : How to control dust with ZTR

jloveski
06-17-2011, 06:45 PM
I mow several 1 acre lots with pretty ratty grass/weeds/etc-when running with a toro ztr without a mulch kit or ODC it creates massive, massive dust. Will installing a mulch kit or ODC help, or do I need to just do the rain dance.

When buying a new ZTR would are any brands better in this regard?

Any advice would be welcomed.

zturncutter
06-17-2011, 07:01 PM
Use flat blades and keep them sharp, they are also marketed as sand blades.

jvanvliet
06-17-2011, 07:29 PM
I'm not aware of anything that will keep the dust down underneath 3 turbo fan blades spining at high RPM. I have mulck kits on a couple of my mowers, reduces the problem a little vs. side discharge but it still doesn't eliminate the dust.

Mikegyver
06-17-2011, 07:36 PM
Hey on the bright side it moves bystanders fast! I.E. the ones in the way...and their cars...
mike

lawnboy dan
06-17-2011, 08:44 PM
cooltop that mounts on rops. blows the dust away from you and keeps you cool. best 300$ you will ever spend

StanWilhite
06-17-2011, 08:46 PM
I mow several 1 acre lots with pretty ratty grass/weeds/etc-when running with a toro ztr without a mulch kit or ODC it creates massive, massive dust. Will installing a mulch kit or ODC help, or do I need to just do the rain dance.

When buying a new ZTR would are any brands better in this regard?

Any advice would be welcomed.

Either use blades that have little or no lift, or, use freshly sharpened blades and mow at as low RPM as possible /practical.

ZTR brand would have no bearing on this. It's just a matter of (everything else being equal) "the faster you spin the blades, the more dust you create".

weeze
06-17-2011, 09:25 PM
it's just how it is when it's hot and dry...i've been mowing the past week and when i get done there is dust on everything...including the owner's cars and whatever...i just blow it all off with the blower...whenever it's dry it's gonna be dusty...nothing you can do about it...luckily it rained here today all day almost...so that should help some.

ed2hess
06-17-2011, 11:10 PM
There is nothing that keeps dust down on these new mowers with high vac and high rpm. Running lower rpm reduces a lot. Just get a full mask and dust sun glasses and get it out of you mind. My mower was full of a chaulk dust the other day that was so bad I could hardly see to know where to go. I'll some pictures.