PDA

View Full Version : Start Up

HOOKMEUPRED
10-17-2002, 12:02 PM
I know this should probably be on the business thread but thier is no one over there. My question is this. If I plan to start my business soon, should I wait until Jan. 1st and should I see an accountant before I do anything. I don't want to make any mistakes with the documentation of anything. I'm sure I won't really get many customers until March or so, with the cold weather coming up soon (funny, cold weather in Florida). Thanks in advance for your responses.

Jimbo
10-17-2002, 12:17 PM
Yes, meet with an accountant first. They will give you all the forms and explain the process to incorporate.
I recall it took about 2 months in Maryland to get all the details worked out with the State, so I would talk with an accountant now to get the process rolling.
When I incorporated it was Mid- year, and I was asked when I wanted the starting date to be, so I see no downside to taking care of this now.
If you wait until beginning of 2003 the accountants will be too busy with taxes to even give you the time of day.

Good Luck,
Jim

Green Pastures
10-17-2002, 12:35 PM
Get the legal, tax, incorporation etc stuff done first. By the time you get your business established you wont have the time to do it. It just gets further and farther behind. Do it now. :D

Scott

Guido
10-17-2002, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by HOOKMEUPRED
I know this should probably be on the business thread but thier is no one over there.

Right now, while you have time to concentrate on the business side of things (the most important side of a SUCCESSFULL business), you should spend some time in the business forum.

It'll be too late once you get busy, and you'll wish you didn't have to learn from your own mistakes.

Fantasy Lawns
10-17-2002, 06:51 PM
I started up Jan 13 1997 (date of incorporation) ... was doing odd jobs (pizza n flower delivery) ... I had my flyers on almost every order going out (manager had free lawn service for the summer) ... the flower delivery got my first nice bid yard (Feb 14 real busy) I was talking to the lady n explained that the service is a great way to win your weekends back with your husband n family ... she got me 2 neighboors (picking up work in Feb is tough) ...but on I went ....buy summer end I was at it full time

Point is .... it's never to late to start .... start NOW!! .... keep your main job but keep selling your business ....get lots of cards n flyer hand them to everyone n everywhere .... hustle up some mulch work before the holidays ... You are in control ...if motivated (which I think you are) ...again .... Good Luck