PDA

View Full Version : How good is this engine as a replacement for my Toro Commercial Kawasaki?

l3randonf
06-17-2011, 07:46 PM
I got a Toro Commercial 21 inch from craigslist and the Kawasaki motor needs to be replaced. It is burning through oil pretty regularly.

Anyways...what is the word on this B&S motor? I can get one for 220 from my local retailer.

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/engines/push-mower/detail/?series=Professional+Series+875&id={065CCCA5-4EE7-4939-AB24-B9725640D627}

topsites
06-17-2011, 10:23 PM
I would do myself a big favor and throw that piece of crap in the garbage,
for what that engine costs I can get a whole new disposable trim mower.

That's what they are, disposable trim mowers, bit pricey but I ain't gotta do nothing to them,
just throw gasoline in the tank and go, when it stops acting right get another.
I Love it

Coumbe
06-17-2011, 11:31 PM
I would try the motor. On "disposable" mowers the transmission, wheel barrings and crap like that fail way more than the engine.

l3randonf
06-18-2011, 06:08 AM
I would do myself a big favor and throw that piece of crap in the garbage,
for what that engine costs I can get a whole new disposable trim mower.

That's what they are, disposable trim mowers, bit pricey but I ain't gotta do nothing to them,
just throw gasoline in the tank and go, when it stops acting right get another.
I Love it

Well disposable trim mowers have no power, bog down and suck. I picked up a honda homeowner model from home depot as a temp replacement and it....has no power....

Merkava_4
06-18-2011, 06:37 AM
You seem to be pretty obsessive about that Toro mower. :D

l3randonf
06-18-2011, 06:43 AM
You seem to be pretty obsessive about that Toro mower. :D

I wish I didn't have to even think about the mower. That's the problem...it keeps giving me headaches.

After using homeowner models at home depot, I really appreciate the speed and power that the toro commercial offers. I just wish it would work properly all the time. :(

So I'm hoping dropping a new motor in will solve my problems.

Merkava_4
06-18-2011, 06:49 AM
I wish I didn't have to even think about the mower. That's the problem...it keeps giving me headaches.

After using homeowner models at home depot, I really appreciate the speed and power that the toro commercial offers. I just wish it would work properly all the time. :(

So I'm hoping dropping a new motor in will solve my problems.

Have you thought about rebuilding the Kawasaki? All it probably needs is a set of rings. And the service manual is readily available. :)

l3randonf
06-18-2011, 07:03 AM
Have you thought about rebuilding the Kawasaki? All it probably needs is a set of rings. And the service manual is readily available. :)

Well I was thinking about that but then what's the next thing to go out on it? and the next thing...and the next... I have no idea how much time is on this mower.

Also, gas is in the air filter...the dipstick smells like gas sometimes...but it does pass compression tests according to my mechanic.

I just put a fuel shutoff on it which may fix the fuel going to the air filter. That's another thing...why did I have to put a fuel shutoff on this motor? It should have come with one. Whoever owned this before me did some "custom" work I guess....

Merkava_4
06-18-2011, 07:18 AM
but it does pass compression tests according to my mechanic.

Your mechanic? You mean you don't work on small engines? :(

l3randonf
06-18-2011, 07:27 AM
Your mechanic? You mean you don't work on small engines? :(

I dont have the confidence mechanically. I am slowly learning. What tools would I need to change the rings? Just a full wrench set? What other failing parts could be the cause of the oil burning? It is definitly burning oil. It starts really smoking after about an hour of work under load. If the motor just sits idle for an hour nothing happens...looks like everything is fine.

l3randonf
06-18-2011, 12:49 PM
anyone with experience with this motor?

Will it drop right onto my toro commercial deck?