PDA

View Full Version : Should I keep mowing or wait for payment?

swbluto
06-17-2011, 11:11 PM
So, there was this girl whom we got in contact with over the phone who was selling her house and we never actually met in person, and we agreed to a price and went over there and mowed. Now, I sent an email invoice but she hasn't payed yet and so I'm wondering... when the next scheduled time to mow comes around, should I just mow it or should I wait for payment for the previous mow before mowing in the future? It's to be mowed every 10 days or so.

I'm thinking there could be wisdom in just continue mowing until it's no longer needed, and then try to hunt him/her down for the money... but, I only have an email address, so I don't know how realistic that's going to be. (P.S., we do have a phone number, but we didn't have a way of keeping track of the phone numbers back then, so I don't know it.)

Get Some...
06-18-2011, 12:22 AM
How good of a detective are you?

topsites
06-18-2011, 12:27 AM
With a house that's for sale you want to get paid per mow.

orlawncaresvc
06-18-2011, 01:29 AM
sorry to say it bro, but you are probably gonna get burned on this one

swbluto
06-18-2011, 02:12 AM

So, I should wait for payment before continuing services?

I don't mind getting burned as the "real cost" was the gasoline (Most of my time is "free" at this point, lol.) which was probably $1 or less. But, yeah, of course... I would like to get paid! :laugh:

hamiltonlawncare
06-18-2011, 04:31 AM
don't mow 'til you get $ if she calls/e-mails wanting to know why it has not been cut you can ask her why she hasn't paid the invoice then tell her in advance or find someone else

Charles
06-18-2011, 07:33 AM
Why would you extend credit to a person you don't know anything about? First mow should have been paid in advance if they are not there at the time of mowing. That is my policy. Out of town customers send me a cashiers check or I will wait until their check clears before the work is done. Why should I worry about being paid? They are going to take the chance. Not me. I can give them references to minimize their risk.
The person should have been there to pay you or paid in advance. I wouldn't do anymore work until I got paid for the first cut.

Patriot Services
06-18-2011, 08:59 AM
Is there a realtor sign? Call the realtor explain who you are and that you lost her number. Fib a little if you need to, like something broke on the property.
Posted via Mobile Device

FLC2000
06-18-2011, 09:14 AM
Are you invoicing after each mow?

poncho62
06-18-2011, 09:16 AM
email and state that you cant mow until paid.....plus, you need contact info (phone #)

Golfpro21
06-18-2011, 09:22 AM
i would not mow again until she contacts you and pays and then have a formal agreement for payment that you are comfortable with

kilman
06-18-2011, 09:25 AM

now if she still ownes the house just put a lein on the house that means she cant sell the house still she pays u

MOturkey
06-18-2011, 09:42 AM
now if she still ownes the house just put a lein on the house that means she cant sell the house still she pays u

Easier said than done, at least in MO. Here, the party has to be made aware in writing that a lien could possibly be filed due to non-payment. In other words, you have to have a signed contract with the individual stating this.

I've mowed plenty of places without getting paid first. Getting ready to go do one this morning for an absentee owner. So far, I've never gotten burned (by an absentee owner). However, I've actually talked to all these people, never made arrangements by email only. I don't believe I'd ever mow based on emails only, without payment upfront. Just too impersonal. People can still lie to you on the phone, but sometimes you can see it coming by the conversation.

topsites
06-18-2011, 10:26 AM

Sorry, you can't just up and put a lien on people's houses because you think you might not get paid,
in most states you're going to need a lot more than ants in your pants.

Charles
06-18-2011, 10:37 AM
Heating and air contractors and other type service require you to be there to pay them if they have no annual contract with you. Mechanics and towing services require payment before they release your auto.
They are nothing wrong with payment due before or right after services rendered. Pretty much standard practice in other service Industries. Now when you get to know the customers and consider them credit worthy then it would be ok to bill them. Even better is a signed contract.
So now this lco is stuck with maybe cutting high grass or cutting again and not getting paid at all. He probably will get paid but you just never know with a new customer. What incentive do they have when you already did the work? They can just call one of the other 1000 lco's in the area who have no idea you didn't get paid. Sometimes that pay at their own convenience and you are stuck deciding whether to continue service.
You do have a better chance if they live in the home at the time. At least you can conveniently go knock on their door.
Everybody is different so whatever works for you. But this guy is obviously worried about getting paid and I can see why. I have always been paid--knock on wood:laugh: Sometimes its a pain to get paid from the customers who live in the home much less the out of town people.

MOturkey
06-18-2011, 10:55 AM
I'm thinking there could be wisdom in just continue mowing until it's no longer needed, and then try to hunt him/her down for the money... but, I only have an email address, so I don't know how realistic that's going to be. (P.S., we do have a phone number, but we didn't have a way of keeping track of the phone numbers back then, so I don't know it.)

OMG! I just now realized you are the same guy I just replied to who is looking for 100's of customers. Sorry I wasted my time. Didn't have a way of keeping track of phone numbers back then? When was this, before they invented pencils and paper?

desert rose gardening
06-18-2011, 11:10 AM
To me its how much per mow and how far behind she is, I always get paid, it might take some of them a little longer to get it to me, but in the long run I always get my money. I just went through the same thing you are going through right now and I got my money.

Patriot Services
06-18-2011, 11:54 AM
OMG! I just now realized you are the same guy I just replied to who is looking for 100's of customers. Sorry I wasted my time. Didn't have a way of keeping track of phone numbers back then? When was this, before they invented pencils and paper?

We have a winner for the daily "so funny I spit soda all over the dashboard" award.
Posted via Mobile Device

jvanvliet
06-18-2011, 12:47 PM

No contract no lien!

swbluto
06-18-2011, 01:05 PM

What was wrong with me looking for hundreds of customers? Aren't we all looking for customers?

MOturkey
06-18-2011, 04:49 PM
What was wrong with me looking for hundreds of customers? Aren't we all looking for customers?

Absolutely nothing, but from reading the replies in your other thread, I get the distinct impression you are a lot like my grandson. In other words, you think you know everything, but in fact, you don't know diddly squat. We all have to start somewhere, but, give me a break. You are in college, so I'm guessing at least 18 years old, starting a business, and never think to do something as simple as write down customer information? Now, if you were 14, I wouldn't think anything about that.

Basically, you are wanting to pick the brains of people who are successful in business in regards to marketing, so you can get into the big bucks, but seem to be totally ignoring all the other help people are giving you, simply because you think you have it all figured out. Maybe you do. Maybe one day, you'll have a horrible comb-over and a reality TV show. I hope you do, but until then, you will find that just a little bit of humility often goes a long way in this old world.

Get Some...
06-18-2011, 05:17 PM
I would not worry about it.........

BTW, how old are you really......

ernieknows
06-18-2011, 05:20 PM
Could be the homeowner is stressing about 103 things to do and forgot.

Have you dropped off a written invoice with your contract info.
I include my business card and have picked referral work as a result.

swbluto
06-18-2011, 08:39 PM
BTW, how old are you really......

:laugh:. The person answering the phone is 16 and his age is showing, I'll admit. But, we have a system down now such that important info like that isn't lost.

Patriot Services
06-18-2011, 09:02 PM
:laugh:. The person answering the phone is 16 and his age is showing, I'll admit. But, we have a system down now such that important info like that isn't lost.

Mom took you shopping for school supplies early?
Posted via Mobile Device

swbluto
06-18-2011, 11:05 PM
Mom took you shopping for school supplies early?
Posted via Mobile Device

She wasn't early, but she got it done on time. She already made the mistake of being a bit late one year 7 years ago and I didn't have a pencil for writing my name on the roster, but she's learned since then. Experience is the best teacher, as they say... (Or is it the worst teacher? It gives you the test first, and then the lesson. lol)

orlawncaresvc
06-18-2011, 11:47 PM
So, I should wait for payment before continuing services?

I don't mind getting burned as the "real cost" was the gasoline (Most of my time is "free" at this point, lol.) which was probably $1 or less. But, yeah, of course... I would like to get paid! :laugh:

You don't mind getting burned! 1. you used fuel to drive there 2. you used fuel in your machinery 3. you used yourself (labor, time) 4. you used fuel to drive back home. Is this is a hobby for you? Looks like you're one of those that won't be around for too long.