PDA

View Full Version : Anyone had people asking for jobs at work sites?

bigpappaab
06-18-2011, 02:00 AM
Seems like every other day or so I have hispanics coming up to me and asking if I am hiring. They say they have seen me around, and want to know if I have any work they can do. I was just wondering if any of you all out there have encountered the same thing. Some of the hispanics asking for work can barely speak english, but the other day a younger sharp looking kid approached me, and he spoke perfect english. If I was about to go beyond solo, I might have been tempted to hire him.

metro36
06-18-2011, 12:53 PM
When I am working on commercial properties I get quite a few of them. Most ask if I am the owner and I just say no, so they walk away.

I also have quite a few approach the truck when I am plowing to ask if I need anyone to shovel sidewalks.

GreenGuysLC
06-18-2011, 04:06 PM
I have had a few but I have More call me .. seems like my phone book listing is better than posting in the help wanted ads!

orlawncaresvc
06-18-2011, 04:21 PM
We get that all the time. Especially when we go to our local home depot.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mikegyver
06-18-2011, 04:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyP-xjJ5tQY

Oakleaf landscape
06-18-2011, 04:49 PM
Usually get 2-3 per day. And the people that come up and ask usually just want to steal your equipment...

Richard Martin
06-18-2011, 04:50 PM
I had a guy in an older Cadillac pull up next to me at a traffic light the other day. As I'm sitting there I hear someone say "Hey buddy". I look around and it's the guy in the Caddy. He wants to know if I'm hiring.

Yeah, it's getting rough out there.

topsites
06-18-2011, 08:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLA9FfjUjFk

Yeah, it's getting rough out there.

The stock market crashed two and a half years ago...

93Chevy
06-18-2011, 08:15 PM
vyP-xjJ5tQY

Richard Martin
06-19-2011, 04:00 AM
The stock market crashed two and a half years ago...

Yup. And it been getting worse ever since.

mad87man
06-19-2011, 09:56 AM
No i never had anyone ask me that i can recall. My dad's friends have asked if i was hiring for their kid or something but i wouldn't trust them since most were younger and barely knew how ot cut a lawn. I did have one guy call me and ask and i had to say no at the time.

doyles
06-19-2011, 10:10 AM
i figure if they come up to me and ask if i'am hirering because they dont have a job then i take it they are lazy and not worth a crap because if they needed a job they whould be going though the clasifieds looking for work not just asking me as they walk buy
like somebodey else said they probale just whant to steal some equipment i always say NO

ed2hess
06-19-2011, 05:01 PM
i figure if they come up to me and ask if i'am hirering because they dont have a job then i take it they are lazy and not worth a crap because if they needed a job they whould be going though the clasifieds looking for work not just asking me as they walk buy
like somebodey else said they probale just whant to steal some equipment i always say NO

So does your city have a spanish paper?

DLCS
06-19-2011, 05:12 PM

Really?

I never got a job by looking in a newspaper. If someone is hard up for a job and wants to work, they will do whatever it takes. Maybe the indivdual doesn't know where your shop is but sees you around working and would like to work for you? If someone asks me for a job, i don't think bad of that person but to each there own.

P.Services
06-19-2011, 07:49 PM
Shet, I wish I had hispanics coming up and asking for work!!! My troubles would all be over. I've had more people walk off the job this year than every other year combined.
Posted via Mobile Device

Showpropserv
06-19-2011, 07:54 PM
last year yes this year all was if someone could use my phone hell no

doyles
06-19-2011, 09:30 PM
Really?

I never got a job by looking in a newspaper. If someone is hard up for a job and wants to work, they will do whatever it takes. Maybe the indivdual doesn't know where your shop is but sees you around working and would like to work for you? If someone asks me for a job, i don't think bad of that person but to each there own.

mabey i should explain
i dont get spanish people asking for jobs it always seems to be the people down in the bader sections asking not saying there all bad i dont ever have a problem but you dont now if they just whant to steal something to sell for crack or if they are honest and just whant to work for an hour to make some quick cash

corey4671
06-19-2011, 09:35 PM
I don't get the hispanics but I sure get the white trash meth mouths all the time. Call me a bigot, but I've always thought that if you were hard up for work you could cut grass on your own and not need to get hired by an LCO.....

Km81
06-19-2011, 09:43 PM
mabey i should explain
i dont get spanish people asking for jobs it always seems to be the people down in the bader sections asking not saying there all bad i dont ever have a problem but you dont now if they just whant to steal something to sell for crack or if they are honest and just whant to work for an hour to make some quick cash

Punctuation and spelling goes a long way on the internet.

Century Landscape
06-19-2011, 11:51 PM
I was in one of the nicer neighborhoods that I service doing a mulch job for a weekly maintenance customer, had a guy ride up on a bike, park it by my trailer and then walk up the driveway and ask me if I was hiring. I told him no, not this year and he took off.

So anyway, next week, I'm back for the same yard, here this guy comes riding up again, asked me the same question, got the same response. Like the first time, he introduced himself, asked if I was the owner. I sent him on his way again.

2 weeks after that, I'm filling up at a gas station and this guy sees my truck, comes over and asks me the same thing again! Still doesn't realize that we've talked before, that I've turned him down twice, and that I'm about to again! This time, he tries tipping me off to an Auto Zone that he claims we can mow together - he could do it himself, but he doesn't have a weedeater or a vehicle! :hammerhead::dizzy: I'm thinking, what is this dude's problem?

He must not have had all his marbles, because he sure can't recognize a company truck after seeing it three weeks in a row. Also, he must have some kind of insane lawn company radar on his bike, because he somehow found me three different times, and that's the only yard I was doing all three times!

Oh well, in his defence, at least he's out looking for work instead of just sitting on his !&@ at home waiting for someone to take care of him. Then again, he's probably already got the check coming and wants some extra spending money!:laugh:

Lugnut
06-20-2011, 12:01 AM
Shet, I wish I had hispanics coming up and asking for work!!! My troubles would all be over. I've had more people walk off the job this year than every other year combined.
Posted via Mobile Device

same here, no one asks me because it doesn;t seem like theres anyone who wants to work out there anymore