PDA

View Full Version : it is time for us to get started...

David Gretzmier
06-18-2011, 11:00 AM
it is hard to believe that it is time to start cranking up and thinking about Christmas lights in June, but it is time.

our prepay and early bird special newsletter will be going out next week and I have already been meeting with folks and putting rehangs on the calendar.

I have work that needs to be done on nearly all our vehicles, from graphics updates, cleaning, to repairs to routine maintenance stuff like oil changes. The time to do that stuff is now and not November 3.

shop stuff continues to need to be done, organizing, repairs, etc.

in the past, I pretty much didn't do any Christmas stuff from Feb. 1 through July 5. but the phone rings, bids get done, folks call me now to pre-pay and get on the calendar even before July 4 now. I spend a little more time and money on a professional newsletter that goes out so that has to be done before.

also spent some time consulting with Bright Lights of Houston a week or so back, had fun, but they had tons of activity going on there with a new shop,showroom, and construction going on. They may chime in here to catch us up on them.

HBL and other vendors called me back in march and april to pre-order and prepare for next season, so it always seems that this business as it grows keeps your attention year round.

figure its is time to wake this board up at least on a weekly basis , so what have you guys got going on?

addictedtolandscaping
06-19-2011, 11:31 AM
Hi Dave:

I have been checking in myself every now and then. I am in the same boat so to speak, different water though. I talked with Mike last week, started to set up the direct mail program, been considering which ones to start going through first as fair as ensuring rehangs are all set to go up. I as well have repairs that have to get done, bucket truck needs some attention to the front end and then routine maintenance.

I literally just finally was able to get the last little bit down a few weeks ago, with all the snow and then the never ending spring rain, had a tree that had to be stripped that I just could not get the truck onto until then, Boy did it feel good to get that off the list.

Biggest thoughts right now are: where to expand the direct mail to, and where to put the signs. I picked up one from signs last season, and one from radio. Radio was a bit pricey though, but atleast I broke even with it.

Unfortunately due to some not paying last year, no convention funds for this season. I am really looking forward to them need repairs or parts, with some what baited breath. KARMA!!

turf hokie
06-22-2011, 08:35 PM
Went on an estimate this morning and have had existing customers call to make sure that we had them on the "usual" install date.

A bit earlier than what I am used to but hopefully that is a good sign, we will be getting out our renewals probably late july, I like to get thru the conventions before I send out renewals just to see if there is anything new that I might want to add into the letter as an upsell, etc. Around here a lot of people go to the shore or away for the summer and getting anything to them before August is just a waste, ends up in the to be done later file....

Still have a few straggling payments to get from last year but not too terrible.

Dave are you going to Omaha?

David Gretzmier
06-22-2011, 10:51 PM
I would like to go to omaha, but I will be in the czech republic from July 19-Aug 2 on a mission trip, so no convention for me, 2nd year in a row.

turf hokie
06-23-2011, 03:28 PM
I was hoping to finally meet you, I am going for the 1st time. Good luck on the mission.

TexasFire221
06-27-2011, 10:35 AM
I will be making the convention again this year. Looking forward to meeting some of you I havent had the pleasure to meet yet.