PDA

View Full Version : front mount leaf loader?

grassman88
06-18-2011, 08:42 PM
anyone have pics of there leaf loaders mounted on the front of there truck? i want to make a mount for a fisher plow frame what do ya think good or bad idea? and does anyone from Mass know if its legal? thanks

nobagger
06-18-2011, 10:06 PM
anyone have pics of there leaf loaders mounted on the front of there truck? i want to make a mount for a fisher plow frame what do ya think good or bad idea? and does anyone from Mass know if its legal? thanks

We have one mounted to a plow frame. Check out "new leaf loader pics" and/or "leaf loader pics". You'll have to check with your State DOT guys for regulations, in PA you can have (I think) 36" beyond the front bumper. We have had great luck with our's, its easy to install and remover and there is no off loading every time you dump leaves. It goes on around the first week of October until it snows. Two guys can install and remove it in a matter of a few seconds.

nobagger
06-18-2011, 10:13 PM
Its actually "some more leaf loader pics". It goes right into a Fisher plow frame.

grassman88
06-19-2011, 09:58 AM
thats what i was looking for thanks so much now i just need to find out if its legal here hope it is so i can tow the trailer and not have to remove it everytime i dump

STIHL GUY
06-19-2011, 10:59 AM
i put a front hitch on my truck and put the loader on the swingaway hitch into that. this year i need to do something different because i got rid of the front hitch when i got my plow installed. it works well in front though and i like having it there as opposed to the back of the truck

grassman88
06-19-2011, 02:28 PM
yea it would make a nice complete rig i could use one truck for everything instead of towing the trailer with the pickup and following with the dump. im planning on buying a leaf loader soon (used a 8hp trac vac for one last year) i want a 16hp at least this year with the new dump. should be able to haul a good amount with the 3500hd with 10' body

cuttin-to-the-Max
06-29-2011, 12:24 AM
Funny you guys speak of this...
I use my 1990 Dodge ram 1500 has 300,000 Miles (bought for 2500 7 years ago!!) With a huge leaf box on it. Squats like a MOFO! And we just use it to pull my mini BG leaf loader with it... That follows my Dump truck and Mowing trailer All day...

grassman88
06-29-2011, 09:47 AM
Funny you guys speak of this...
I use my 1990 Dodge ram 1500 has 300,000 Miles (bought for 2500 7 years ago!!) With a huge leaf box on it. Squats like a MOFO! And we just use it to pull my mini BG leaf loader with it... That follows my Dump truck and Mowing trailer All day...

thats how i have been doing it but the dump had the leaf box and the pickup towed the trailer i want to only use one truck this year for everything. i think it would be more profitable not haveing to fuel up both truck

GreenI.A.
06-29-2011, 10:15 PM
Im not sure about it being legal or not. I know we actually have a law not allowing plows on trucks from 5/1 - 10/31 (I believe those are the dates). I'm not sure if that is more because of the plow blocking the stock headlights & turnsignals or if its beause It sticks out past the bumper.

But come to think of it, I have seen the pump trucks that pump the debris out of the storm drains. I have seen some that have a booster pump mounted on the front bumper and a 8" tube that goes up verically from the front bumper to tank in the back

grassman88
06-30-2011, 09:40 AM
Im not sure about it being legal or not. I know we actually have a law not allowing plows on trucks from 5/1 - 10/31 (I believe those are the dates). I'm not sure if that is more because of the plow blocking the stock headlights & turnsignals or if its beause It sticks out past the bumper.

But come to think of it, I have seen the pump trucks that pump the debris out of the storm drains. I have seen some that have a booster pump mounted on the front bumper and a 8" tube that goes up verically from the front bumper to tank in the back

i never heard about that law thanks for letting me know! i have seen people with them mounted on the front hear but that doesnt mean they didnt get pulled over after i saw them hahaha. but now that u say that i have seen the pump trucks. My dad has some freinds that are cops im going to have him ask if its legal some time this week hopefully

GreenI.A.
06-30-2011, 10:05 AM
They may not have the answer, when I heard about the law for plow dates, I asked well over a dozen officers, including supervisors and a towns chief, none of them could give me an answer. I actually pulled over when I saw a statie from the truck team, he confirmed the plow law for me and gave me the citation number for it.

I would hate to get in a rear end collision with the leaf vac mounted to the front, im sure an attorney would love to sue your company and insurance claiming that it effected your bumpers propper crush rate.
Posted via Mobile Device

grassman88
06-30-2011, 08:36 PM
I would hate to get in a rear end collision with the leaf vac mounted to the front, im sure an attorney would love to sue your company and insurance claiming that it effected your bumpers propper crush rate.
Posted via Mobile Device

yea thats what i was thinking thats exactly why i want to make sure its legal befor i start making the brackets

GreenI.A.
06-30-2011, 11:14 PM
yea thats what i was thinking thats exactly why i want to make sure its legal befor i start making the brackets

what area of MA are you in

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
06-30-2011, 11:32 PM
We are in mass and I don't think it is legal to mount on front. But for that fact it is also illegal to let your hitch hang out the back of your truck when not towing a trailer. WTF anything for our state to make money off re working guy.
Posted via Mobile Device

Gilmore.Landscaping
07-01-2011, 12:30 AM
Stumbled upon this.... here's the thread on it

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=330648&page=3

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/knads06/photo-1.jpg

grassman88
07-01-2011, 07:56 PM
what area of MA are you in

live in wonderful fitchburg hahaha but work in the littleton concord sudbury area

grassman88
07-01-2011, 07:58 PM
We are in mass and I don't think it is legal to mount on front. But for that fact it is also illegal to let your hitch hang out the back of your truck when not towing a trailer. WTF anything for our state to make money off re working guy.
Posted via Mobile Device

yea im glad they dont inforce that law because i would be bagged lol i never take the hitch out. and yes the laws in mass suck lol

punt66
07-01-2011, 08:00 PM
Yea, front mount leaf loaders are illegal. Just keep that in mind :)

tinkerlawn
09-07-2011, 03:15 PM
Do you leave the loading hose attached while you drive? If so where do you put it.

I am debating whether to front mount my loader but I don't know what to do with the hose and reattaching the loading hose at each property seems like a time killer.

LawnScapers of Dayton
09-07-2011, 03:27 PM
I just got finished building my new box on the 12' dump today. (this was the box last year) It will hold 16cy this year. I have my BG loader mounted on the front and always leave the hose connected.

tinkerlawn
09-07-2011, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the info. Do you ever have problems with the loading hose melting against the loader muffler?

tlrlc
11-02-2011, 08:09 PM
Hey drm - could you post multiple pictures of your truck loader frame?
I have 1999 gmc 3500 with same BG loader, currently on swing away on rear, but it stops me from towing trailer
I have the western plow mount on front as well...
Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

LawnScapers of Dayton
11-02-2011, 09:36 PM
I will try to shoot a couple tomorrow..... mine is a Snoway plow mount though....Never had problems with the muffler and the hose

MaloneyLandscaping
11-02-2011, 10:06 PM
i never heard about that law thanks for letting me know! i have seen people with them mounted on the front hear but that doesnt mean they didnt get pulled over after i saw them hahaha. but now that u say that i have seen the pump trucks. My dad has some freinds that are cops im going to have him ask if its legal some time this week hopefully

It is illegal in mass I read it in another post from a couple years ago. It has to do with obstructing the drivers view. But it all comes down to the mood of the cops or commercial enforcement.

GreenI.A.
11-03-2011, 12:59 AM
It is illegal in mass I read it in another post from a couple years ago. It has to do with obstructing the drivers view. But it all comes down to the mood of the cops or commercial enforcement.

Nothing to do with blocking the view, its actually more to do with that by having it mounted to the frame it impedes the prpose of the bumper. The crush rate of the bumper does very little when you have a steal frame in front of it. Same reason why it is illegal to have a plow on yor truck from may 1st to nov 1st unless their is a freak snow storm. One of my trucks got stopped by the state police trck team a few weaks ago, the only thing they got it for was having the trailer ball in the reciever. The hitch sticks out about 6 inches from the bumper, we got nailed with a $200 fine for it