PDA

View Full Version : Leaf Season?

Hardcore5657
06-18-2011, 10:26 PM
I no its months away but do I spend $3000 on a grasshopper vac system (which my dealer would install on my bobcat procat) or spend a $1000 on a couple of the new redmax 8500's? What should I do is the vac system worth 3G? Or just use tarps and back pack blowers??

nobagger
06-18-2011, 10:31 PM
I no its months away but do I spend $3000 on a grasshopper vac system (which my dealer would install on my bobcat procat) or spend a $1000 on a couple of the new redmax 8500's? What should I do is the vac system worth 3G? Or just use tarps and back pack blowers??

Tarps????? What the hell are those. I'm not sure what the Grasshopper system is but if its anything like a truck mounted leaf/debris vac it will save hours and hours of time loading leaves!! When we bought our BillyGoat loader we paid around 2800 bucks and I bet it save that much in labor in 2 fall clean up seasons.

Kelly's Landscaping
06-20-2011, 12:22 AM
So your asking if you should have a collection system on your mower and somehow think that will do all your clean up for you. I don't think NJ is that different from CT fall clean up wise. And up here there is a lot more to it then bagging a lawn that doesn't even work once the leaves fall your fill the mower up so quickly your never get done on some lawns. We use the collection systems on the mowers to give a finish look after we have blown off the lawn. And that is done with back packs and ground blowers as well as leaf plows and tarps in fenced in areas the plow cant go. Then if it goes in the woods great but if you need to take it your gona want a truck loader and a leaf box. Lot to think about you can spend 15k or perhaps just a back pack and a tarp and a rake. So figure out how you want to handle the clean ups first then buy what you think you will need.

hackitdown
06-20-2011, 09:07 AM
Ultimately you will need both. But I used to do cleanups without a mower collection system, I just used blowers/tarps. Then mowed after with Walk-behind mower with a steel bagger as a final sweep.

You can do cleanups in the Northeast without the vac system, but you can't do them without blowers.

ALC-GregH
06-20-2011, 09:52 AM
So your asking if you should have a collection system on your mower and somehow think that will do all your clean up for you. I don't think NJ is that different from CT fall clean up wise. And up here there is a lot more to it then bagging a lawn that doesn't even work once the leaves fall your fill the mower up so quickly your never get done on some lawns. We use the collection systems on the mowers to give a finish look after we have blown off the lawn. And that is done with back packs and ground blowers as well as leaf plows and tarps in fenced in areas the plow cant go. Then if it goes in the woods great but if you need to take it your gona want a truck loader and a leaf box. Lot to think about you can spend 15k or perhaps just a back pack and a tarp and a rake. So figure out how you want to handle the clean ups first then buy what you think you will need.

I'm right in between this. I have a power bagger for my Scag. It takes longer to get them all chopped up bagging for sure. My next buy will be a leaf loader and material to build a large box. :)

Previously posted pic.
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/americanlawncare/CIMG0091-1.jpg

cuttin-to-the-Max
06-20-2011, 01:23 PM
If you don't have a leaf loader you're wasting tons of money! I traded a old broken mower for it 5yrs ago and haven't regretted it since!
Posted via Mobile Device

mowerbrad
06-20-2011, 02:51 PM
If you have the proper equipment, a leaf loader does work great...but it does require you to have the right stuff to make it work efficiently. Having a dump trailer or dump insert, a good walk behind leaf blower, back pack blower, etc., is just about required to make having a leaf loader efficient.

I use a power bagger on my Deere (14 bushel model) and it works fine for me. Even through the fall I clean up my properties once a week, it makes it so much easier on me. I've done it this way for years and never had a problem. Its a little tougher on lawns that the customer waits all season to call you to come clean up the leaves but then you just charge accordingly.

I've owned a 20hp leaf loader before and it just didn't work for me, mainly because I didn't have the right equipment put together to make it worth my while. I used it for a season and sold it off over the winter.

alanauer
06-21-2011, 08:17 AM
Grasshopper has two hoppers, 15 and 25 cu. ft. I have the larger one. It works, but:

You pull a lever from the seat and it opens the rear door. But I still have to pull the collected material out by hand, and it's not easy to hold the heavy door open while doing this.

You need a place to dump the collection. With other brands you can lift the hopper way up and dump it into a pickup.

As big as it is, it still fills up faster than you expect (it chops the leaves only a little bit). It's hard to tell when it's getting full. It gets heavy, and the traction of ZTs is limited at best.

How sure is the dealer that a Grasshopper collector will fit a Bobcat? It has to match st the deck, at two attachments for the collection tube, and both the main connector and two swing-limiting belts for the towing.

The hopper is heavy and there are no grab handles to wrestle it on or off, and no stand to hold it when it's off.

andyslawncare
06-25-2011, 11:39 PM
buy both. Tarps suck.