PDA

View Full Version : Trimmer Rack Location

GLS
10-17-2002, 05:03 PM
I am buying a trimmer rack soon for next year and I would like to know where to mount it on an open trailer.

I am buying a trimmer trap from northern tool that secures 3 trimmers. Are there any disadvantages to mounting it on the front of the trailer? Most guys I see have them on the side.

If not on the front, which side of the trailer should I put them on and why?

And one last question: Can I mount the rack to the outside of my trailer (it's not made of angle, it's square tubing) rather than on the inside?

Thanks,
Ryan

DLCS
10-17-2002, 05:17 PM
I mounted my Trimmer Trap on the left side(passenger side) of the trailer. The reason I did this was that I usually park along the street when I mow at residential accounts. So, when I need a trimmer, I don't have to walk around the truck and into the street. Its more of a safety and convenience thing since alot of my accounts are on busy streets. But, I suppose you could mount it on the front of your trailer. I've seen some guys do that around here. You could mount the rack on the outside of the trailer but I think it would be more difficult since the rack is made out of angle iron.

Mike
DLCS

Ray&Christine
10-17-2002, 06:36 PM
I have mine mounted on the passenger side like DLCS for the same reasons he stated. My only concern about mounting it on the front of the trailer would be tripping or banging your shin on the trailer tongue.

Ray

walker-talker
10-17-2002, 07:24 PM
I recently purchased a new trailer and my layout is something like this. The driverside of trailer is going to hold a frame with expanded metal walls. This will hold a tool box, gas cans and misc. tools. The end of the trailer will hold the trimmer racks. The passenger side of the trialer I am going to mount a drop gate for smaller mower (21" & 32"). This is my winter project, along with others. Before, I have mounted the trimmer racks on the passenger side and like this setup very well.

Good luck
MATT

eslawns
10-17-2002, 09:46 PM
I park across the street from where I'm working usually, so I can edge and blow clippings out of the gutter without working around my truck. I mounted my rack on the driver's side of the trailer so I wouldn't have to walk around. I didn't put it on the tongue so I wouldn't bang my shin.

TLS
10-17-2002, 10:59 PM
I have my TrimmerTrap mounted on the Drivers side of my trailer.

Here's why...

I ALWAYS string trim and power edge FIRST. Always.

I am a one man show.

I get out of truck, and walk to the trimmertrap, grab and go.

No traffic to worry about here.

Front mounting would interfere with the operation of my front tool box.

Another PLUS to the Drivers Side mounting....Tree branches from the NARROW FREAKIN ROADS IN SE Penna.!!! They would damage a weed wacker on the passenger side real quick!

Plus on my passenger side, I have my side gate, sprayer mount, so it wouldn't really work well on that side.

TurfGuyTX
10-17-2002, 11:05 PM
I say passenger side. It works best for most situations.

Scag48
10-17-2002, 11:46 PM
Passenger side. I always park on the right side of the street so I just grab and go. I just like the fact that the trimmer isn't hanging out into on coming traffic, even though it's not very far. I just worry about stupid things like this. LOL.

LAWNGODFATHER
10-17-2002, 11:57 PM
You have a delema eh?

This is what I did.

Started on the passenger side infront of the fender on the inside of the rails.

I didn't want it on the front of the trailer because it would be in the way of taking the WB off the front of the trailer. The rack would be in the way if you have to trun the WB sideways.

second problem with the spot, hard to tie down WB with weedeaters in the rack.

3rd inside the rail I cannot turn the DC's sideways in the 2nd spot on the trailer or it will hit the rack's angle iron.

So I took the rack off, cut a space out of the fender between the 2 wheels and welded it on there, out side of the rails. That is the back piece. The front peice is just infront of the fender. Now the rack is completely out of the way.

Also inside the rails the Peco vac chute would hit it on all the ZTR's.

Hoosier Mower
10-18-2002, 12:10 AM
Before someone jumps on your case you might try doing a search for this question, alot of people on here will jump on you about that. I'm not one oh. Now to answer your question. I put mine on the front of the trailer, in my opinion you might want to stay away from putting them on the passanger side because of low hanging trees that hang over the road. Just my honest opinion oh, alot of people do put them on the passanger side and it must work for them but I can see problems to it also.

PaulJ
10-18-2002, 12:53 AM
Ive got mine on the passenger side. Just semed the thing to do.

I did move my rack to the outside of the rails this season. My trailer rails are angle iron. so i just used 2X4 wood blocks with the holes drilled edgewise through them as spacers between the rack and the rails to make up for the gap of the angle iron.(hope that makes sence:confused: )

I am thinking about switching the rack so that the engine of the trimmer is at the back. I always trim with my left hand on the throttle and now I have to turn the trimmer around when putting it on and off the rack.

Also mine is just a little 5x8 single axle trailer so the rack stradles the fender.

LAWNGODFATHER
10-18-2002, 02:00 AM
If you have a trimmer trap the engine must be to the front on the passenger side or the geomitry of the rack will be messed up.

I tired this when reinstalling mine.

You won't beable to get them in and out of the rack withit like that.

On the drivers side the engine will be to the back.

This uis the only way to mount the rack, the 2 towers cannot be reversed.

greenman
10-18-2002, 08:21 AM
Mine is on the outside left(driver) side. I have to hug the right side of the road at times because my trailer is so wide. Its on the left so I wont rip it off. I keep my bp on that side as well as a gas rack on each side. I dont know what brand it is,was already on.

Gravely_Man
10-18-2002, 03:43 PM
I have definitely thought about this one. I ended up putting it on the passengers side not only for connivance for me but to also "slow down" anyone driving buy from helping themselves to my equipment if I have happened to leave the traps unlocked.

Gravely_Man

gravedigger5
10-18-2002, 04:15 PM
On the drivers side the engine will be to the back. My main concern was the trimmer itself. With the engine to the back (mounted on the driver side) it keeps the exhaust (at least on my echo equipment) out of direct wind (and rain) I'm sure this doesn't seem important to most but is a concern of mine. The outside elements do not belong inside your exhaust or even possibly the cylinder. JMHO Marc

Scotlawncare
10-18-2002, 04:27 PM
I have the 3 trimmer model and have mouted in in the front of my trailer. I Like it when i stand on the tounge of the trailer to reach the top weedeater. Yes the tounge of the trailer is in the way some but i do like no taking up my sides or taking the chance of banging up the supports of my trimmer trap with my mower when I or someone else puts it on the trailer. On front is safer from the sides of the deck bending the L frame of the trap. It also is safer when I go get mulch with it on front. I don't have to worry about guys dumping mulch on my trimmers or having the bucket hit my rack.

JMHO

Scot

GLS
10-18-2002, 09:02 PM
Thanks for all of the replies.

There were a lot of pros/cons for each location, so I guess wherever I mount it, it should be fine. Maybe I should have done a poll.

I think I will mount it to the outside, and I will do some more thinking as to which side I want it on, to best fit my needs.

I'll let you know where I mounted it when I get it.

Thanks again,
Ryan