PDA

View Full Version : What do you fulltime LCO's do in the winter time

DLS1
10-17-2002, 06:07 PM
What do you fulltime LCO's do in the winter?
Do you get part- time jobs if yes what type?
Do you take lots of vacations?
Do you have a winter business other than snow plowing?

LAWNS AND MOWER
10-17-2002, 06:38 PM
Drink football and watch beer!!!!!

LAWNS AND MOWER

Dennis E.
10-17-2002, 06:44 PM
Mow.
(Sorry,I could not resist.):D ;)

LAWNS AND MOWER
10-17-2002, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Dennis E.
Mow.
(Sorry,I could not resist.):D ;)
You Suck!!!!!!! Calling for snow flurries tonight.

LAWNS AND MOWER

FrankenScagMachines
10-17-2002, 07:17 PM
I mow my yard once every couple weeks just to see the stripes even though the grass is dormant :D :p :rolleyes: :dizzy: ROFLMAO.... I get so frickin' bored... I forget how good green grass looks and what it looks like, then I go online to Eric ELM's site and pretend I'm in heaven ;) I also might rebuild an engine or do major repairs, help a friend in his mower repair shop (or just hang out), catch up on the computer and WORK ON WEBPAGES (probably the most useful and aggravating thing LOL). I rejoice when it snows even just an inch or two and go out and jump on my garden tractor with homemade cab and homemade 48" Vplow and scrape it off my driveway and a neighbor or two just for kicks, pretending I am rescuing the whole town from a monster blizzard with 3' of snowfall LOL....
I think I go craazzzyyy in wintertime. Winter here is from November to early March and dont' expect much snow if any :cry: :cry: it's only something to dream about.
Also make modifications to equipment, get it out and play with it every now and then to keep it lubricated and moving. Make plans for next year.

Basically what LAWNS AND MOWER said! Drink football and watch beer!

Expert Lawns
10-17-2002, 07:28 PM
PT job....finish college

Drink HOCKEY watch beer :D :drinkup:

Green Pastures
10-17-2002, 07:29 PM
I go chill at the beach in Florida or at my mom's condo in Gulf Shores, Alabama. Maxn and relaxin.

Scott

Dennis E.
10-17-2002, 07:31 PM
I left something out. Since most customers go to every 2 weeks and some are just once a month there is plenty of time to
DRINK BEER AND WATCH FOOTBALL plus play on the "pooter",sleep,work on the "Honey-Do" list,go fishing,and on and on.
The best part is that the same money keeps a rolling in.
L&M you need to come on down!
:D

lawnkid
10-17-2002, 07:31 PM
I like to sit around and gain weight, LOL, so when the spring starts up, I can lose it again by walking behind the mower. Well i play soccer all year long but...

walker-talker
10-17-2002, 07:34 PM
I would like to go full-time next season. I am planning on getting a job to get me through the winter until I make enough money to set aside to make it through the winter. Then I will cut wood and just find other stuff to do marketing projects, training courses and the like.

MATT

Bill Davis
10-17-2002, 08:06 PM
I duck and deer hunt all winter and look for new toys to buy on the net.

lawnperfections
10-17-2002, 08:49 PM
What Dennis E. said:)

hustlers
10-17-2002, 10:19 PM
MEXICO, volunteer high in the jungle with
tropical agriculture, helping the indians with
their coffee, go to the beach every other week
and savour all of it for 3 months then i want to
work and come back home

Eat very good fruit, tacos, shrimp, octopus
pineapple,

Then i explain that we grow grass for
no reason at all and fertilize it, they
laugh cause it sounds stupid and impractical
when u could have some meat grazing it.

Toroguy
10-17-2002, 10:22 PM
8 months on...4 months off.

Lets see... Florida, Texas, Arizona, Nevada and Southern California. Of course in no particular order. Must visit legendary landmarks such as: Checkers Drive thru, Krystal, Carls Jr, Jack in the Box, and other lesser known greasy spoons.

Mowed in the snow (flurries) today. High temps here have been 40 degrees or less the past two days (20 degrees below normal).

The best thing to do in the off season is: Whatever interests YOU.

fprintf
10-17-2002, 10:44 PM
All the guys around here plow/sand in the off season with their landscaping trucks. Alternatively, it is not too terribly bad to be a framing carpenter and build houses. A little cold, perhaps.

1grnlwn
10-17-2002, 11:35 PM
Am I the only one that works on my business? My List is already too long for projects that need to be accomplished over winter. Only have 70 fert custs. Need 400 to have full time fert tech. Equip to maintain, systems to improve, reading and planning, quoting. Planning on heating the garage and getting TV , if you get my drift. Do home improvement proj. for hire also.

Mark

Nebraska
10-18-2002, 12:35 AM
You certainly get snow in Lee's Summit?

Try that or maybe even explore additional opportunities that may exist with your customers. A lot of add-on services can exist even with the smallest base of customers.

DLS1
10-18-2002, 06:40 AM
Nebraska, mowing is part-time for me. We don't get much snow in Kansas City area.

KerryB
10-18-2002, 08:13 AM
We mow Rye grass and do landscaping.
Blow parking lots and pick up limbs after storms.
We also drink football and watch beer. lol

Brickman
10-18-2002, 08:26 AM
This thread brings to mind all the things I took into consideration when I was thinking of selling my LC biz. The off season is so long here and there is no snow to plow to speak of. Not on a regular basis any way. It is very hard to get a temp job. No body wants to hire knowing that you will be leaving them in the spring.
I'm not really handy enough to offer a handy man service.

I always did a ton of sleeping. And watch movies. Some thing like 175 during one winter. Rentals from Blockbuster. :D Any where from 2 to 5 a day. Between naps that is.

65hoss
10-18-2002, 08:27 AM
Planning, networking, marketing, advertising materials, AND REST!

Toroguy
10-18-2002, 09:25 AM
Definately continue your focus/preparation on the next season.

Brickman, thats alot of movies!

hustlers, Your Mexico trip sounds interesting. No habla espanol, however.

greenngrow
10-18-2002, 09:39 AM
I am part-time at the present. But when I do go full-time the plans are to Sub-teach. My wife is a teacher and I also have several relatives in the school system. I can stay very busy just doing this. I also push snow but around here that is consider bonus money. The winter slow period is the biggest reason for not going full-time.

Bill Davis
10-18-2002, 11:02 AM
I will also be putting up Christmas decorations for some of my wealtheir customers just to make a little extra cash.

John Gamba
10-18-2002, 11:44 AM
THE SECOND ONE!!
John

Gravely_Man
10-18-2002, 12:53 PM
Tree work, selling of firewood & snow removal contracts.

Gravely_Man

Scotlawncare
10-18-2002, 04:50 PM
winter = LEAF SEASON= $$$

Between leaf removal on yards Deer hunting for me. But I am only part time and work 2nd shift so I'm looking forward to alot of hunting.

Scot

Brickman
10-18-2002, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Toroguy

Brickman, thats alot of movies!

:D :D :D
5 months of off season is a lot of time to twiddle thumbs.

gusbuster
10-18-2002, 11:41 PM
I guess that were lucky that we work all 52 weeks in the year. Though we loose on average about 30 days due to rain, we get to work all year round.
John