PDA

View Full Version : brick walkway pricing

jsaunders
10-17-2002, 07:35 PM
Customer wants a brick walkway put it. Dimensions 55 ft x 3 ft with curve at the end going to front steps. What do you charge? I was thinking $5 per foot plus materials - Total $825 + materials. I was thinking I might have to rent a brick cutter. Any thing I'm missing or you can suggest?
Thankyou Joel

Mow&Snow
10-17-2002, 07:42 PM
Sounds alittle lite to me. Walkways are alot of work, and I like doing them, but only if I can make top dollar doing it.

I start at about 12 bucks a foot with everything included. I would bid that walk for 2 grand, then try to up sell them 4 or 5 hundred bucks on an upgraded paver.

Just my opinion. I'm sure you will get alot of hits on this subject.

Tom

Mow&Snow
10-17-2002, 07:43 PM
By the way, what part of NH are you from? Or have I already asked you this?

jsaunders
10-17-2002, 07:55 PM
mow& snow -I'm in southern NH right on the mass border. I'm 45 mins west from Nashua and 30 mins south from Keene. Where in Maine are you? Always go to Maine to Vacation.
I just met with the customer today and I have to give him a booklet on the different types/colors of the pavers-bricks.What is the standard brick that you use for the $12 per ft figure and what do you mean by the upgraded paver?

Mow&Snow
10-17-2002, 08:05 PM
I live in So. Berwick which is 20 min from Portsmouth and 10 min from dover. I work more in NH than Maine.

As far as bricks go, a basic brick is a plain jane .48 cents apiece clay brick. I like to use Bolduc pavers as an upgrade, but there are lots of manufacturers that have some nice looking ones.

These are nice...

Lanelle
10-17-2002, 08:44 PM
Just a few clarifications needed. Is there already a concrete walkway that you are going to mortar brick on to or is this going to be dry set pavers on a compacted base? Are you using clay bricks or concrete interlocking pavers? One of the things about walkways---there is a lot of edging to put in and usually more cutting so the unit price needs to be higher than for a patio.

heygrassman
10-17-2002, 09:55 PM
What were you thinking in the terms of sub-base? 55*3= 165 sq ft. $895/165 = 5.42 per sq ft. That sounds a little lite to me.
Cheapest I have seen around here is $9.95 per square @165 = $1650 total cost.

Most importantly, if you can make money at that rate, go for it..

Good Luck..

jf

AGLA
10-18-2002, 06:21 AM
heygrassman said it best - if you can make money on it, go for it.

Just keep in mind what you might be leaving on the table.

Randy Scott
10-18-2002, 11:28 AM
Price aside, a 3 foot wide walk is a waste. It really needs to be at least 4 to 5 feet wide to have two people walk side by side, and/or to pass comfortably, even residential. Just something to think about.

Definately looking over $2000 for something nice.

PAPS
10-18-2002, 07:35 PM
My estimate based on what you described:

55x3 = 165 sq. ft + 15% waste = 25 sq. more = TOTAL : 190 sq.

*Price for tumbled block (Techo-bloc) = $2280.00
*Price for non-tumbled (CST, Unilock) = $1995.00

- I would suggest though bumping that walk out to a min. of 4.0', thats basically standard.

jsaunders
10-18-2002, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Lanelle- it is going to be a dry set walk way with either clay bricks or interlocking concrete blocks. I will be replacing an existing walkway ( single step slate) there is a good base down already and the edging is there as well- all I need to do is dig up enough to level the pavers and then compact.

Heygrassman-my $5 per sf was to put it down -Materials were an add on $$$$$
The $5persf was what I had heard of what was charged- I WILL be charging more -needed to hear from the EXPERTS first:)

Randy Scott- customer only wants to replace walk ( same size) to give the house better curb appeal-thinking about selling house- also wants me to put in sprinkler system for front lawn:)
Thankyou again and please keep the info coming- I was thinking 2 days tops with 2 guys

AGLA
10-18-2002, 08:32 PM
Clay brick - running bond w/ soldier course, excavation and 6" of stone dust ~$2,300

heygrassman
10-19-2002, 04:33 PM
customer only wants to replace walk ( same size) to give the house better curb appeal-thinking about selling house- also wants me to put in sprinkler system for front lawn

My retail price on this was similar to AGLA's. 165 sq ft * $14 per square = $2310. This does NOT include the removal of the old walk. I have to believe that you are going to have over 30 man hours in this @ $900 that is $30 per hour. I just bid my first paver job at about this rate ($10 per sq ft installation + materials of $1.80 per square) to gain some experience. It was some harrrrddd work for $25-$30 per hour. If you can get more... it is worth it for the pain of the fingers from the sand and the up and down and up and down from all the cuts.. :blob2:

Good Luck..hope to see some pics when it is done

Jeff

steveair
10-19-2002, 05:56 PM
Hello,

I know there are a lot of 'outside influences' on this, but I would not suggest using the old base. Do some research on proper base and proper edging. I have never, ever seen a blue stone walk laid with a proper base for brick under it......never. 99% of the time they are set on about a inch of sand, if any, and that's it.

What is the existing edging? Can you reuse it? It sounds like trouble to me. Don't tell us its wood........please!

I've done some low pricing for walks.......maybe in the range of $7 or so a foot for a standard, non-tumbled, non-antiqued paver.....but was never happy with myself when the job was finished. For such a small area as this one, I would shoot for $12, would be willing to go to $10, and if I really had to, take it to $8 a foot, but anything lower than that and you are giving yourself away.

For time, I do 200sq foot walks in about 2 days by myself (well, if you are really on the ball, you could get it done in a day...) , but that requires the assistance of a machine, a place to dump dirt on site/close by, and having materials pre-delivered. As a beginner, I think 30hrs may be more on track.

I mentioned that other 'factors' may be at play here.....like the people are going to move and don't give a hoot whether there is a proper base or edging, or what ever. I can see the pressure to do a 'cheap' job just for the sake of the job, but always keep one thing in mind.....

when possible clients come by and see the work you did, they aren't going to know the story why the walkway has sunk 3 inches in spots, the bricks are falling off the edge, or the walkway is wavy like the ocean. All they are going to see is a ugly walk that, if they find out who did it, aren't going to hire. That's just one way to look at it.

steve

Katwalk
10-23-2002, 05:27 PM
ALERT!!!!! Square foot pricing will put you out of business. Each job must be looked at individually for it's accessibility, the soil conditions.....if you have 10" of loam you technically should remove it all until you hit some type of gravel before you put in your base....some sites have two inches of loam....less time to excavate, less material to bring in....If the walkway is straight with minimal cuts.....less time and less wear on your wet saw...all things have to be factored into the overall price and you can only use square foot pricing to guide you. Good Luck....Oh yeah, $2000 is One percent of $200,000. If they are looking to sell the house there is a good chance that they will get back there $2000 based on how real estate grew in your area....

PAPS
10-23-2002, 11:24 PM
I really dont understand your thinking about the 10'' loam thing... simply compact and your fine..... no need to dig down more to hit rock..... look into a compactor

Katwalk
10-26-2002, 02:46 PM
Compact the loam Paps....I guess you don't need any excavation then....cut off the sod, compact whats existing, and throw down some pavers....sounds like a home owner job to me. I have a Stone compactor with 5hp Honda that does the job really good. I have always removed all loam here in the northeast because it just doesn't compact good enough. By good enough I mean that I don't want the thing to move one year from now or ten years from now. What I should say is this is what works best for me and I get the jobs and am able to make money this way. I job cost every job I do and consistently make money.

PAPS
10-26-2002, 08:02 PM
You said: ".....if you have 10'' of loam you technically should remove it all until you hit some type of gravel before you put in your base...."
thats what I was refering to... what the hell is that supposed to mean????? if theres 2000'' inches of loam I should remove all that too until I hit rock/dirt????????? thats what i was talking about, what you said makes no sense to me....

JML
10-27-2002, 08:14 AM
I have trouble getting $10 - $12 for pavers in my area. I would do it much cheaper, but there are guys doing for as low as $6.50 a sq. ft..

MJ LANDSCAPING
10-27-2002, 09:39 AM
Thats a walkway of 165 sq. ft. you should get if you are gonna do pavers $12.- $15. a sq. ft. which goes out to about $2000. thats for everything. sounds like you are selling yourelf to cheap..

jmleaver
10-27-2002, 07:37 PM
Mow&Snow I am not that far from you! I live in Somersworth. I just bid a brick walk-way that was 10x15x4 for 1,500. way that too high? I figure 15psf for about 125 sqf?

What do you guys think?

Mow&Snow
10-28-2002, 06:04 PM
10 x 15 x 4??? Isn't there too many measurements here? Or am I not seeing something obvious? I bid alot of walks at 15 psf, and find that they are well worth that figure.

What is the name of your business?

tom

Katwalk
10-29-2002, 06:24 PM
Is anyone willing to tell me/us how you get to $x dollars a square foot for a tumbled cement paver?? How much for equipment...bobcat, compactor, and wet saw?? How deep for the base and how much for the cost of the base material? How much per square foot do the pavers cost?? How much for the Edging?? Plasic or aluminum?? When you excavate are you leaving the material on property or removing it? Do you have to repair the area adjacent to the walkway with loam, seed and starter fert? Alot to think about for $12/square foot.

paul
10-29-2002, 07:50 PM
I don't think every one runs around with a test probe every 10' to check for depth of topsoil, even that lies at times, but knowning your production times, the difficulty of the design, and finding faster ways of installing pavers has lead to cheaper installs.
We do all our pricing by the sq ft but we do not just give one price for one type of paver! At times we go as low as $6.00 per foot(some times even lower:eek: ) Right now we are installing a holland stone memorial thats running over $15 per sq foot. Of course thats not including the additional landscaping.

On this site you'll find we can give general information but each site is law on to it's self the same with every job. no two jobs will be the same even if the use the same style of paver and the same dimensions. As far as running in to deep top soil if you follow the manufactures recomandation for the type of install you are doing MOST times you will be ok.

One advantage that I have is we do new installs only, meaning I don't care what we tear up and how it gets there. semi's of stone and sand along with multiples of pavers deliveries. Yes we do a few smaller jobs most times it's 1000 sq ft at a time.

Most paver installs that fail are because of poor compaction of base, using too small of a compactor after excavation are the major reasons for this. Katwalk you might look into a larger unit. Other things others have found by reading here is wet saws are somewhat a thing of the past, hand saws are faster and with experanice give you a much better line.

jmleaver
10-29-2002, 07:54 PM
I was unclear. It was a curved walkway with the long side being 15, then short side 10 and 4 wide.

It's Leaver's Lawncare? What is yours?

Katwalk
10-29-2002, 08:11 PM
Paul, this is my point exactly. You are doing 1000 square foot plus installs with no worry about the surroundings and others are talking about $12 a square removing an old walk and replacing with a new walk. My compactor does a great job. I am typically less than 1000 square feet....another reason to be more than $12 a square foot. I also agree that a hand held cut-off saw can be quicker than the wet-saw, but in this instance I will continue to use a machine that works very well before I invest in the cut-off saw. Thanks for your message.

Mow&Snow
10-29-2002, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by jmleaver
I was unclear. It was a curved walkway with the long side being 15, then short side 10 and 4 wide.

It's Leaver's Lawncare? What is yours?

Oh I see. Now that makes sense. I still cannot figure how you arrive at 125 sqft for those dimensions tho. I would figure that walk at only 60 sqft. 15 feet long, by 4 feet wide. For a walk this small, I would bring my price up some. Probably up to about 18 bucks a foot. This would still only sell for 1000-1100 bucks.

Did you get the job? If so thats great. Where are you buying materials from? Have you done alot of paver work?

My business is called J & D Enterprises. I work quite a bit in somersworth, alot of plowing too. I have not heard your company name before, how long have you been in business?

Do you have any machinery for digging? Tractor, bobcat, backhoe, that u use for paver work?

jmleaver
10-29-2002, 09:30 PM
I just started this year... I have been doing landscaping on and off for years. For anything that I have done before I either hand dug or rented equipment. My first big project was Dr. Lafreneire's Eye Care right on High street. How is biz for you? Real Busy?

I get most of my stone/pavers, etc at Tri-city Masonary. The guys overther told me to cut estimate 12.5 x 4. So I probably am a little too high. he just left me a vm today and I haven't gotten back to him yet.