PDA

View Full Version : Enclosed Trailer Recommendations

GreenCloverlawnCare, LLC
06-20-2011, 04:26 PM
I want to eventually step up from a basic trailer to an enclosed trailer. Any recommendations on brand, size, must-have add-on's, etc?

Oakleaf landscape
06-20-2011, 05:35 PM
Haulmark. If you are gonna get it lettered i would opt for the glued sides. They don't have all the rivets in them this way. Size depends on how much equipment you have. And if you are going longer than 16ft, upgrade the axles to 5200lbs

GreenCloverlawnCare, LLC
06-20-2011, 05:43 PM
Thank you. I am definitely getting it lettered so that's excellent info.

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
06-20-2011, 06:21 PM
16 foot is good. We purchased a pace. Look for constructiom differences as far as roof supports and deck beam spacing bearing buddies. Tongue lenght. Brakes. Gvw on axel etc.
Posted via Mobile Device

Oakleaf landscape
06-20-2011, 08:15 PM
http://internet-trailer.com/

That's where I ordered mine. Had it custom built and picked it up in Georgia. Create an account with them and you can price out Haulmark, Featherlite, and wells

unkownfl
06-20-2011, 09:43 PM
I wouldn't say an enclosed trailer is a step up... It's more of your needs. I've had a haulmark and a cheerokee both were decent trailers both of the axles bent in them too.

DoetschOutdoor
06-21-2011, 08:53 AM
The enclosed trailer was a step up for me...no more faded equipment, way better security, cleaner image, put more in it, etc. (been a cheapazz tho and havent had it lettered yet). Get the biggest you can. My 16' + v nose will hold a 52wb, 48ztr, and 36 wb but its getting full with all three mowers in. I have a truck toolbox that holds a toolbag and other necessities like straps as I cant stand having a bunch of extras inside the trailer.

cuttin-to-the-Max
06-21-2011, 01:03 PM
Only get a Enclosed if you really need it! Yes it is nice to have a waterproof "moving garage" for your equipment but it also brings on many responsibilities. Its Bigger so you have to have a CDL when driving it. In most cases.... and its also alot heavier so you gotta have the right truck to pull it. and Once they get old they are almost worthless. They start to dismantle themselves. These trailers are pretty rough on trucks!

I had one for 14 years... (thats 14 years of going up and down on the ramp, being pulled though storms aka He11, etc) the trailer started to come off the tongue (because of the weight of the mowers on the back of the gate while loading. People thought i rigged it so i could dump mulch! it came off the tongue atleast 5"

then finally last year,while we were going maybe 60MPH back to the shop the locks burst, then the bottom hinges broke off and there goes my back door! No accidents thankfully... R.I.P Halmark Enclosed trailer September 23, 2010

I sold it to a guy who uses it for an office now.

GreenCloverlawnCare, LLC
06-21-2011, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the website. I'll check it out!

I really had not considered some of the information that was shared...so I really appreciate that and will definitely make sure my truck can handle the extra load. I live in Florida where is rains an insane amount when it gets going. I want to protect my equipment from the deluge as much as I can. Also, theft is a serious issue where I live (everywhere, right?). Of course, I keep everything I can locked down but there are some things (rakes, shovels, clippers, etc.) I simply can't lock up...I'm looking to create that "moving garage" that Cuttin-to-the-max referred to.

Marek
06-21-2011, 02:51 PM
We run Pace Summit trailers. They are hard to beat . Last year before I bought another I looked very hard at a United to save some money but once you start looking close its just not worth it. The Summit trailers are expensive but we feel they are worth it. We have one that is over eight years old and put about 12-14 k on it per year that has only had regular tires and brakes done to it . Also the few hundred dollars to up grade to the 5200# axles is well worth the money when it gives you larger brakes and tires and the heavier axle. I would also recomend the extended tounge. There is less chance of anyone jack knifing it and tearing something up and its a must if you are ever going to tow with a stake body.

BJWLAWNCARE
06-21-2011, 10:54 PM
I have a 6 x 12 v nose Haulmark for about a month or so. I like it so far. I was wondering about the rivets lol I wanted to have it lettered up. Never ever knew that. The financing is 0% for six months with 1 year roadside assistance and 3yr warranty. It was 2,900 before tax, tags and racks etc. I have a 3,500 pound axle running with about 3,000 pounds on it. Hope it holds up!

cuttin-to-the-Max
06-21-2011, 11:04 PM
I have a 6 x 12 v nose Haulmark for about a month or so. I like it so far. I was wondering about the rivets lol I wanted to have it lettered up. Never ever knew that. The financing is 0% for six months with 1 year roadside assistance and 3yr warranty. It was 2,900 before tax, tags and racks etc. I have a 3,500 pound axle running with about 3,000 pounds on it. Hope it holds up!

I would be careful with running it that close to the cap. of the axles! DOT would have a field day if they weighed you! Because they weigh the whole trailer NOT only the cargo you have loaded. YOu're prob. at or above weight limit

Az Gardener
06-22-2011, 12:02 AM
I would get an extended tongue, sometimes they call it a RV tongue. Will keep you from damaging your trailer during tight turns. Don't expect them to have one sitting on the lot, you will probably have to order it. Well worth the money.

BJWLAWNCARE
06-22-2011, 07:27 AM
I would be careful with running it that close to the cap. of the axles! DOT would have a field day if they weighed you! Because they weigh the whole trailer NOT only the cargo you have loaded. YOu're prob. at or above weight limit

I did add the trailor weight. I had it fully loaded and put it on a scale at the dump to double check. You can run trailors without brakes in PA up to 3,000 pounds. I am under state law and axle weight.

DoetschOutdoor
06-22-2011, 03:37 PM
The rivets come right out and then they put the vinyl on and put them back in. I have seen some shops that have a tool that cuts the rivet head out once the vinyl is down but I would rather have them taken out and then put back in.

unkownfl
06-22-2011, 08:55 PM
I did add the trailor weight. I had it fully loaded and put it on a scale at the dump to double check. You can run trailors without brakes in PA up to 3,000 pounds. I am under state law and axle weight.

I'm sure its GVWR not what it actually weighs. Same law here about that.

BJWLAWNCARE
06-22-2011, 09:44 PM
Could an extension on the reciever be an option instead of an extended tongue on the trailor. Build wait here is 8-12 weeks if you build your own trailor. If I lived in georgia it would be much different.

cuttin-to-the-Max
06-22-2011, 09:53 PM
Could an extension on the reciever be an option instead of an extended tongue on the trailor. Build wait here is 8-12 weeks if you build your own trailor. If I lived in georgia it would be much different.

YES AND NO!
Closer to no!

They make them. This topic was on Plowsite i think for guys to pull a trailer with a vbox spreader at the same time and have no problems.......

Only thing is if you have a enclosed trailer its already going to be pushing the limit on this bar/ tongue extender! you're asking for trouble.

Curtis makes this one.
Heres the info Maybe someone can understand it lol!
Receiver Adapter #D-180 CURT Manufacturing 3500lbs. GTW - 350 TW - 2 in. To 1.25 in. - 15 in. Extension Maximum

http://capworld.com/images/M23782104.jpg

Marek
06-22-2011, 10:06 PM
Do it right the first time, just order what you need. Its better to wait a few weeks and have it built the way you want it.

BJWLAWNCARE
06-22-2011, 10:09 PM
some good info here guys thank you. I was wondering how they could glue metal sheeting to metal studs. Taking the rivets out makes sense and then reinserted like the poster said earlier.

mowerbrad
06-22-2011, 11:13 PM
Last year I spent a ton of time thinking about how to have my current trailer built. I just bought an open trailer last year and ended up having it custom built, so I really thought a lot about what should go on a trailer. A lot of the same concepts can apply to an enclosed trailer that you are looking at. I actually almost decided to go with an enclosed, but the enclosed I priced out was going to run me $6000-$7000 by the time I had all the options installed on it that I would have wanted.

Look at what dealers you have around you. I know some people don't mind traveling to buy a trailer but if you don't have a dealer for that trailer nearby, it may be difficult to get warranty work done or get new parts quickly. Haulmark, Wells Cargo and Pace are some of the big names in the enclosed trailer industry, but like I said you also have to consider what dealers are in your area.

A few options that I would suggest would be teh extended tongue, upgraded 5200lb axles, extra lights inside, LED light package, side vents and/or roof vents, extra height package, spare tire, and a stone guard on the front. I would also suggest a trailer tongue box if you can get one mounted. Some people really like having a cabinet or some type of shelving in the trailer to help keep things organized and be able to carry their extra 2-cycle oil, trimmer string and some tools.

Sizing an enclosed trailer is a little different than an open trailer. I always suggest getting a larger enclosed trailer than open. For example, if a 83"x16' open trailer would be big enough, then an 8.5'x18' enclosed trailer would be a comparable size. Space always fills up fast as I'm sure you know.

You do want to make sure that the trailer you get has quality materials. The wood used for the floor and sidewalls should be thick enough. The 3/8" sidewalls and 3/4" floor should be pretty much standard. A one piece roof is also a must to avoid leaks. Studs/support posts should be 16" apart.

I know that enclosed trailers can have problems with leaking at seams, so it may not be a bad idea to take some chaulk yourself and make sure everything is sealed up nicely.

You will want to make sure that your truck will tow it nicely, it is going to be like a sail behind you so you'll get a ton more drag. I wouldn't worry about a CDL, you shouldn't be over the limit unless you are towing it with a very large truck (like an F450/F550). Make sure that you explore all your options and look through a trailer well before buying. Since it is a fairly big investment, you'll want to make sure it lasts for quite a while.

Puddle of Oil
06-22-2011, 11:23 PM
Only get a Enclosed if you really need it! Yes it is nice to have a waterproof "moving garage" for your equipment but it also brings on many responsibilities. Its Bigger so you have to have a CDL when driving it. In most cases.... and its also alot heavier so you gotta have the right truck to pull it. and Once they get old they are almost worthless. They start to dismantle themselves. These trailers are pretty rough on trucks!

Not all states require a cdl to tow an enclosed, so speak for yourself.

cuttin-to-the-Max
06-23-2011, 10:36 AM
Not all states require a cdl to tow an enclosed, so speak for yourself.
You're better off getting your CDL Because you are pulling with a Commercial Vehicle. And its just a better idea safety wise.....

I've seen a ton of guys who cant drive with an enclosed trailer...(tight turns, running over curbs when there is plenty of space, etc)

Sounds to me you dont have your CDL.......

Puddle of Oil
06-23-2011, 11:02 AM
No I don't have a cdl, don't need one to tow my trailer. I agree, some are stupid with long trailers but you don't need a cdl to drive a 20' trailer, not in Ohio anyway.

Marek
06-23-2011, 11:47 AM
Having a CDL dosnt make you a better driver ! Have you ever worked around commercial properties where the drivers bounce trailers off curbs all day or cant back a trailer to a loading dock to save thier azz.

mybowtie
06-23-2011, 03:20 PM
You're better off getting your CDL Because you are pulling with a Commercial Vehicle. And its just a better idea safety wise.....

I've seen a ton of guys who cant drive with an enclosed trailer...(tight turns, running over curbs when there is plenty of space, etc)

Safety wise?? Really?? Theres No difference towing a open or enclosed. If u cant back up a enclosed, u aint backing up a open the same lenght. If you run over curbs with an enclosed, you'll be runnin over em with a open.

No I dont have a cdl. Used to thou , drove truck 4 several yrs, but dont need it anymore.

cuttin-to-the-Max
06-23-2011, 04:01 PM
Safety wise?? Really?? Theres No difference towing a open or enclosed. If u cant back up a enclosed, u aint backing up a open the same lenght. If you run over curbs with an enclosed, you'll be runnin over em with a open.

No I dont have a cdl. Used to thou , drove truck 4 several yrs, but dont need it anymore.

only difference with backing up a enclosed vs. a open is with a open... Most guys can get away with looking out the back window to see where the trailer is headed. opposed to enclosed where you cant! I've been pulling trailers since i was 16 never ran over a curb! :cool2:

unkownfl
06-23-2011, 07:55 PM
I have a class A and I hit curbs. It doesn't make you any better of a driver IMHO. Anyone who says they've never curbed a tire with a trailer well I just don't believe you or you don't drive much in the city. Having an enclosed trailer requires a CDL that sounds like complete bull. Almost all states have the same requirements because it is usually the federal standards. All longer trailers are easier to back up its the short ones that are a pia. I have a tow dolly and its a real pain.

mybowtie
06-26-2011, 12:02 AM
I have a class A and I hit curbs. It doesn't make you any better of a driver IMHO. Anyone who says they've never curbed a tire with a trailer well I just don't believe you or you don't drive much in the city. Having an enclosed trailer requires a CDL that sounds like complete bull. Almost all states have the same requirements because it is usually the federal standards. All longer trailers are easier to back up its the short ones that are a pia. I have a tow dolly and its a real pain.

Tell me about it..When i had snowmobiles, I hated backin up that trailer. I was so used to my 18' landscape trailer, that going to the shorter one was a killer.

djagusch
06-26-2011, 10:25 AM
Anyone have a translusent roof? Saw one online and it brightened up the interior well.
Posted via Mobile Device

cuttin-to-the-Max
06-26-2011, 03:24 PM
Anyone have a translucent roof? Saw one online and it brightened up the interior well.
Posted via Mobile Device

Buddy of mine has it. Its very bright.. But he says if you dont get up there and pressure wash it every now and then, it will get foggy and algae or some green stuff will start to grow on it... He got the clear top though...so its Completely see through. He says he blocks it in everynight since smeone can look into his trailer and see everything he has in there. But really if someone wants the stuff they're not going to look inside first...How would they know you have a see through roof?
Now they make a translucent one where you cant see in if your looking down from the top of the trailer.

Cleancut59840
06-27-2011, 12:10 AM
I stepped up to a 20 ft. Southwest Enclosed trailer from a 16 ft flatbed. I couldn't be happier. Southwest builds a very heavy duty trailer! It is nice to not have to worry about theft while at commercial jobs or while stopping at the parts store! They are not for everyone but definitely for me. The only down fall is getting the clippings from the walker to the back of the truck when I bag.

Duffster
10-24-2012, 01:03 PM

Sounds to me like you think you are safer because you have a cdl.
:laugh::laugh::laugh: