PDA

View Full Version : Dealer wants an extra 21%

Gilmore.Landscaping
06-21-2011, 12:36 AM
Hey guys... hopefully someone can give me some advise....

we are currently working on a full rear yard landscape and we are building a cabana with a bar, the original plan was to add a sauna under the area at a future date.

So long story short they want the sauna right away....

I called the local sauna company and got a price, plus mark up, and install and provided that to the customer. They agreed and I placed the order for the sauna. Total with taxes came to 2,440 my cost. I deposited 1,500. Now 2 days after the order I get an email saying there was a numerical error and its actually going to cost 2,950.

To say the least I am pissed and really not sure how to deal with this
- Do I ask the client for more money?
- Do I force the dealer to suck it up?
- Do I try and meet him in the middle?

DVS Hardscaper
06-21-2011, 07:25 AM
did they quote $2440 in writing?

Gilmore.Landscaping
06-21-2011, 08:52 AM
Yes, they emailed me a quote, and kinda dumb it was valid for 10 days but I was within that.
Posted via Mobile Device

DVS Hardscaper
06-21-2011, 09:20 AM
Yes, they emailed me a quote, and kinda dumb it was valid for 10 days but I was within that.
Posted via Mobile Device

What's dumb is they emailed you wanting an increase!!

This is where I would contact the manager or owner and I'd say "look your business gave me a written quote and I accepted it within 10 days, and I based my price to my client on that quote"

This is one reason why we business owners state quotes are valid for limited periods of time, this way if we omit something in the quote, we can hopefully have a chance to add it in if the quote isn't accepted.

And this is a failure on their part (obviously). This is how we business owners learn to be
More careful in our quotes / business dealings. That was their negligence.

John Deere Landscapes is an example, I won't buy any material for jobs from JDL without a written quote. I've found that one guy there will quote me 1 price and someone else will quote something totally different! This way they're bound to it. It's business.

Now.....if the supplier loads you up with leads.....different story....

Posted via Mobile Device

shovelracer
06-21-2011, 10:38 PM
That stuff really gets me mad. I have one supplier that on a few occasions has given a verbal price, then when they invoice the item it is higher. After talking to a few people we are not the only ones this happens to. I give them 10s of thousands every year and they give me work, so I would like to think it is oversight, but who knows.

On another situation I ordered and paid for a part for our skid steer from the dealer. I received the part, the payment cleared. 2 weeks after the fact I get a charge for about $100 more with no authorization. Apparently they felt that they deserved that for a handling fee since they had to bring it in from another place. This was a wiring harness that weighed as much as my cell phone and fit in an envelope. I disputed it with my bank and the company. They sided with the dealer. I never used them again, but they went under a month or two later. makes you wonder.

I dont do business with consistently shady dealers. I stopped using one guy because his mulch was consistantly 1/2-3/4 yd short. Never once was it heavy. Even had them measure the box once for there own sake and they still argued their light load was fine. On the other hand I have another guy that is always heavy. If you pay for 2 you get 3, if you pay for 3 you get 4. I have to cut them off all the time so I dont wind up with too much extra material.

vtscaper
06-25-2011, 11:02 PM
if you have a written quote and were within the terms then you should NOT be paying more. As someone else said these kind of mistakes are how we all learn to be more careful. they should absolutely absorb this or i would find another vendor no matter how big of a wrench it might throw in your scheduling..

DVS Hardscaper
06-26-2011, 01:12 AM
So, Mr. Topic Creator, whatever became of this??????????

Gilmore.Landscaping
01-07-2012, 02:12 PM
Wow, completely forgot about this thread, but for anyone who cares for the answer.

So when I called back (Not the kind of issue email deals with) he was very apologetic and was ready to deal right away. The client decided they wanted some upgrades so we made a deal that we would pay the full $2950 but he basically included the upgrades for free.

Actually have issues now after a couple months use with the electrical hook up, but I don't think that's the sauna companies fault but rather the electrician we hired.