PDA

View Full Version : Pythons in the Everglades

Ric
06-21-2011, 10:49 AM
Yo

Pythons in the Everglades has been in the news and on Discovery TV a lot in last few years.

Father's Day my Kids took me on a Air Boat Tour of the Everglades. My first time and I always consider these Air Boat Rides as a tourist trap. But I would recommend it to everybody. The water level was seriousily low and we only could only go in the man made canals. But the Guide was a real Cracker and very informative. I used to have a Gators traping license and was on FWC Rotation for removing Gators from residential areas and I learned about Gators from this guide.

I ask about Pythons in the Everglades and what evironmental impact they were having. The Guide tells us that the last few winters the Temperature dropped to as low as 25 degrees and the Pythons being tropical could not take the cold weather and the gators got fat. He said there still are some Pythons left but the population is at a balance FOR NOW. The State trained 25 people to be Python Hunters and is still paying a bound on each snake caught. However these guys aren't getting rich right now.

agrostis
06-23-2011, 03:45 PM
That is very interesting. Thanks for sharing that. So what is the snakes northern range limit?

Patriot Services
06-23-2011, 05:43 PM
Have a few in Tampa. A 10 footer was basking on a sidewalk in a resi neighborhood last fall. Scared the bejesus out of an old guy out for a walk. The news people would have you believing they are everywhere swallowing kids and poodles.:usflag:

Ric
06-23-2011, 07:11 PM
That is very interesting. Thanks for sharing that. So what is the snakes northern range limit?

Winston Salem NC.

gregory
06-23-2011, 08:42 PM
Winston Salem NC.

lmao..........

gregory
06-23-2011, 08:44 PM
Have a few in Tampa. A 10 footer was basking on a sidewalk in a resi neighborhood last fall. Scared the bejesus out of an old guy out for a walk. The news people would have you believing they are everywhere swallowing kids and poodles.:usflag:

yea that and we have gators all over the place. and we all live on the beach.....

Ric
06-24-2011, 08:47 AM
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/state/cold-snap-killed-many-pythons-other-non-native-228389.html?printArticle=y

txgrassguy
06-27-2011, 03:25 PM
Way back in the late eighties and early nineties I both worked and played a great deal all over the Everglades. From Everglades National park through Loxahatchee to Lake Okeechobee.
I once observed at a much closer range than I wanted too a female gator lying on a sumac that was at least 10' longer than the 14' mud boat I was in. Came around the sumac poling back to the ramp and "holy crap" here is this beast. It would have been longer but a good foot or so was missing from her tail. Found out later that gators would sometimes snap at their own tails.
Never saw any pythons though.

Ric
06-27-2011, 05:53 PM
Way back in the late eighties and early nineties I both worked and played a great deal all over the Everglades. From Everglades National park through Loxahatchee to Lake Okeechobee.
I once observed at a much closer range than I wanted too a female gator lying on a sumac that was at least 10' longer than the 14' mud boat I was in. Came around the sumac poling back to the ramp and "holy crap" here is this beast. It would have been longer but a good foot or so was missing from her tail. Found out later that gators would sometimes snap at their own tails.
Never saw any pythons though.

Steve

My father was a jeweler, Watch maker and gemologist. In retirement he had a small shop where he repaired Watches. In the late 70's the state of Florida fined him for selling Alligator watch bands. They were cracking down on all Alligator hunting and any by product from Alligators. In the 1980's when I moved back to Florida, Gator were still only found in very remote areas like the Everglades. Today they are all over the place and desperately need thinned out.

Hogjaw
06-28-2011, 10:30 AM
Been following the series also, I find to be very interesting but yet scary - but still plan on coming back this winter.

Ric
06-28-2011, 12:16 PM
Been following the series also, I find to be very interesting but yet scary - but still plan on coming back this winter.

Hogjaw

The Water in the Everglades is extremely low right now. The Army Corp of Engineers released way too much water from Lake Okeechobee Last year in Preparation for Hurricane season. Hopefully by next winter the Everglades will be wet again. regardless I highly recommend taking a Air Boat TOUR of the Everglades

capelawncare.com
06-28-2011, 12:20 PM
I havent seen any Pythons, or exotic snakes. But I have seen a Tegu, a Moniter Lizard and a number of iguanas.

Ric
06-28-2011, 12:47 PM
I havent seen any Pythons, or exotic snakes. But I have seen a Tegu, a Moniter Lizard and a number of iguanas.

Cape

With all this rain we are getting today, don't be surprised if they come in your house. I made some great money trapping Iguanas in Boca Grande. But the monitors can hurt you if they bite. I know they are all over the Cape. But while I still have the Nuisance Wildlife Trapping License I have no desire at my age to trap them.

If you want try it I will help you get set up. But the big problem is finding some one or some organization that is willing to pay.

capelawncare.com
06-28-2011, 04:46 PM
Ric,

Thanks... but me and wild animals dont get along. I prefer to leave the wildlife, where it belongs...in the wild. Iguana's wouldnt bother me so much... But I try and steer clear of everything else.

I always learn things the hard way. Some those critters could make it a real hard lesson.

Hogjaw
06-28-2011, 10:30 PM
Ric - we will make this a priority.

Hogjaw

The Water in the Everglades is extremely low right now. The Army Corp of Engineers released way too much water from Lake Okeechobee Last year in Preparation for Hurricane season. Hopefully by next winter the Everglades will be wet again. regardless I highly recommend taking a Air Boat TOUR of the Everglades