PDA

View Full Version : Cops checking for stolen equip.

MOHUSTLER
06-21-2011, 01:11 PM
Was watching the KC news last night and they were stoping every trailer with a mower on it checking serial #'s for stolen equip.

They said yesterday they found 2 stolen mowers and wrote tickets for trailer violations.

I hope they do this on a regualr basis. Its about time they crack down on loosers who cant get started like everyone else in this industry. With hard work and sweat.

Get Some...
06-21-2011, 01:17 PM
Too bad they just want to raise revenue from writing ticket's for violation's.

Lawrence has a big money maker since it started a DOT enforcement unit.......
I do not know very many who have been stopped and not ticketed.

MOHUSTLER
06-21-2011, 02:42 PM
I hope they dont stop me, they would have to get a second ticket book out with all the violations I have. :laugh:

rywnygc
06-21-2011, 03:37 PM
"and your reason for stopping me, officer, was to check my equipment?"

"yes sir"

"and you have no other reason for stopping me today?"

"nope"

"then we're done here. If there isn't anything else, have a nice day"

Greenery
06-21-2011, 03:38 PM
This is good news. There are too many rigs going down the road that are a danger to everyone around. Also a big F U to theives they are gonna get what they deserve

raising revenue and cracking down on scabs, sounds good to me. They should do it more often.
Posted via Mobile Device

vencops
06-21-2011, 03:44 PM

"yes sir"

"nope"

In principle, I agree with you.

But, if code enforcement is their reason.....what's the difference in the stops in question....and, say...an 18 wheeler stopping at a weigh station?

ALC-GregH
06-21-2011, 04:05 PM
In principle, I agree with you.

But, if code enforcement is their reason.....what's the difference in the stops in question....and, say...an 18 wheeler stopping at a weigh station?

I also agree. If they stop you to check your equipment then let them, unless of course you're riding with stolen equipment on your trailer. Or you don't secure your equipment properly. And another BIG OR is if you're riding over weight. 10K is the max you can be unless the state you work in otherwise has different laws. If you go over state lines to do work, you have to be 10K or under or you'll have to be DOT compliant. All the guys driving around in MD. sporting a 3/4 ton truck with a dually open trailer and NO DOT numbers, no lettering, nothing, are going to pay in the end. I think a lot of them don't even know you have to be DOT compliant when all they're doing is driving their personal truck pulling a nice big trailer. They don't even think about it. If they even get stopped, the fines could be horrendous.

Myself, I stay at or below the 10K max with a 1/2 ton truck and single axle trailer. It works out good for me. I don't really need a heavy truck or dually trailer to get the jobs done I have.

rwaters
06-21-2011, 04:46 PM

"yes sir"

"nope"

I have a feeling that would not go over well. but if you try that let us all know. Around here pissing off a cop at a traffic stop can get expensive.

rywnygc
06-21-2011, 07:53 PM
I have a feeling that would not go over well. but if you try that let us all know. Around here pissing off a cop at a traffic stop can get expensive.

you can piss off the cops as long as want as long as you know your rights. I come from a long line of military, police, firefighters and emt's. Be polite, know your rights, operate within the guidelines of the law and they cant touch you. If I was stopped to "check my serial numbers", it would take some time out of my day, but I would hand their azzes to them.

rywnygc
06-21-2011, 08:04 PM
About 2 months ago, a tenant in a trailer park down the road from my house called the police because I was shooting my AK in the back yard. Two county cars showed up. One male and one female. The male deputy told me that I couldn't shoot my AK in my back yard. I said "oh yeah, show me the law that says so". Immediately, the female (obviously the ranking officer) starting spouting out the laws (which I know very well). She said you have to be 500 ft from any dwelling. I took them out to where I was shooting (while rolling my measuring wheel with us) and showed her that I was a little over 700' from any dwelling. She then asked what I was shooting. I told her, and then I brought it out. At that point, she asked me how often I would be shooting so that she could let the complaining neighbor that I had every right to be doing what I was doing and that I would be doing it all summer. Then I said "is there anything else?" She said "not at this time" and I said "ok, well then you have a real nice night".

The date was April 10. The anniversary of the biggest terror attack Iraq had ever seen. The day I lost alot of close friends (signature). I fired 21 rounds and went inside to wait for the police.

BTW I live a half hour from anything.

They are just police. Just a job.

vencops
06-22-2011, 07:26 AM
If I was stopped to "check my serial numbers",

And what if (as was asked, earlier), you were stopped to check for compliance with trailering laws.....and they subsequently ASKED to check your equipment?

I'll still stand by....I agree with you in principle. But, once I'm stopped/sitting there....I'd comply with their REQUEST to check my equipment.

TLC Inustries
06-22-2011, 08:33 AM
You must not have any history of theft, because I would love to see cops checking serial #s. That is what I call pro-active!

Aaronnc
06-22-2011, 04:08 PM
You must not have any history of theft, because I would love to see cops checking serial #s. That is what I call pro-active!

Yep, no joke. Around here, stolen equipment is a serious problem. And yeah, regardless of the laws and/or pain in the arse, I'd love to see them do it.

Hell, I'd roll through with doughnuts and coffee and starting handing out high 5's.

XLS
06-22-2011, 06:03 PM
rlee...amen brother amen
Posted via Mobile Device

robertsturf
06-25-2011, 01:23 PM
Last week a buddy of mine had his whole rig stolen while in storage. Skag Z turns and all hand held equipment plus trailer GONE! Tore up his truck getting it off the trailer etc... Thank goodness for his insurance.

FLAhaulboy
06-26-2011, 01:12 AM
And what if (as was asked, earlier), you were stopped to check for compliance with trailering laws.....and they subsequently ASKED to check your equipment?

I'll still stand by....I agree with you in principle. But, once I'm stopped/sitting there....I'd comply with their REQUEST to check my equipment.

Why, you already know your equipment isn't stolen, & I know mine isn't & it'd be a waste of my time checking my equipment. I've no problem if the cop has probable cause to search but they unusually do not have cause to search.

GreenI.A.
06-27-2011, 12:12 AM
Why, you already know your equipment isn't stolen, & I know mine isn't & it'd be a waste of my time checking my equipment. I've no problem if the cop has probable cause to search but they unusually do not have cause to search.

heres the problem, you know your equipment is legit, and I know mine is, and it would be a waste of time checking ours, but the officer can't tell the difference between our stuff and that that is stolen with out checking the sn. Now I don't agree with any officer being able to check, but if the State police truck team already has me pulled over then they might aswell be able to check when they are checking everything else. I send my trucks out with a bad light (usually 1 reverse light), if the Truck Team here catches you for something simple right away then they will often just give you a ticket and let you go. If they don't find something they'll keep you there untill they do. i had one officer pull out the scales for my truck and trailer to check it, the truck bed was empty and it was an open trailer with a securly strapped bobcat bucket (just the bucket, no skidstear on it). We were doing one job right around the corner from one of the truck teams favorite hiding spots, he pulled over one of my trucks over 3 days in a row, the first day he pulled over all three trucks at once. The rest of the week we got the trucks on site at 7 am before he got there, and made sure we went around the long way if went out during the day

topsites
06-27-2011, 12:21 AM
Here's the thing too, a police officer should be able to search a vehicle for NO reason.
When you stop and think about it, they should have that much authority, if an officer even remotely suspects wrong doing...

Then we had the problems:
1. The thieves who, just like you, swore up and down the equipment was theirs (and why did the cop search my car?).
2. The cop who abused his or her authority, or the cop who accidentally searched a bit too far (as they say).

Hence, probable cause.

Which, I'll give you that probable cause is the biggest load of crap excuse of a flimsy
reason why they can now supposedly search your vehicle, no argument there.
But, it's just the way it is.

FLAhaulboy
06-27-2011, 12:53 PM
"Here's the thing too, a police officer should be able to search a vehicle for NO reason.
When you stop and think about it, they should have that much authority, if an officer even remotely suspects wrong doing..."

Then maybe you you should pack up and move to China, where the cops can do that kind of BS.

The problem with most LEO's, is they abuse the authority they already have+they lie big time.

Years ago late one night, I pulled into the closed Lowes store to buy a coke. A cop was parked across the street & he saw exactly what I was doing. He blue lights me in the middle of the parking lot, I stopped, told him I was buying a drink-had it in my hand, I asked why he pulled me over? He said the silent alarm went off inside the store, so he runs my license etc, comes back and tells me I'm free to go, then as were just chatting bout causal stuff he tells me the alarm did not go off in the building & he just used that as an excuse to stop me! I did not say anything but boy was I pissed off afterwards. I've been weary of cops since that time because all it takes is one bad apple cop to make all cops untrust worthy.

GreenI.A.
06-27-2011, 02:43 PM
"Here's the thing too, a police officer should be able to search a vehicle for NO reason.
When you stop and think about it, they should have that much authority, if an officer even remotely suspects wrong doing..."

Then maybe you you should pack up and move to China, where the cops can do that kind of BS.

The problem with most LEO's, is they abuse the authority they already have+they lie big time.

Years ago late one night, I pulled into the closed Lowes store to buy a coke. A cop was parked across the street & he saw exactly what I was doing. He blue lights me in the middle of the parking lot, I stopped, told him I was buying a drink-had it in my hand, I asked why he pulled me over? He said the silent alarm went off inside the store, so he runs my license etc, comes back and tells me I'm free to go, then as were just chatting bout causal stuff he tells me the alarm did not go off in the building & he just used that as an excuse to stop me! I did not say anything but boy was I pissed off afterwards. I've been weary of cops since that time because all it takes is one bad apple cop to make all cops untrust worthy.

Here's one for you. I used to drive a Black Denali, Lowered, 24" rims, blacked out windows, tinted lenses, 13 LCD Screens, and a slightly louder than stock stereo system. Officers would be shocked when they would walk up to the door and find a white guy in a John Deere shirt driving. One night around 1:00 am I hapenned to be driving by a known drug neighborhood, I was dropping a friend off who lived just past it and needed to drive by it to get back out to the main road.

An unmarkered car pulls out of the projects and blue lights me. He walks up and asks me why im in that neighborhood. I tell him the truth and he laughs and says he watched me make a drug deal in the projects, I laugh at him and inform him that not only did I not even slow down when driving buy, I am aware their are camara's in the projects that are monitored by the police department and he should check them before making false acusations. He asks if I have any drugs in the vehicle and I say no, then asks to search the vehicle, and I again say no. Not that I had anything to hide but more because I didn't want to deal with him. Then he asks if I had any weapons in the vehicle, I tell him yes, I have my Liceanse to carry and I have a pistol holtered on my right hip and a second secured in a lock bix in the center console. This has never been a problem before, usually the officer cautiosly watches when I reach for my id/ltc. But not this one, next thing i know I have his service pistol 6" from my temple and him ordering me out ot the vehicle. Slams me agains the passenger door and cuffs me. causing a dent and scratch from my pistol hitting the door. The officer says he smells marijuana in the vehicle, which I know is BS as I don't touch any of that stuff.

As hes patting me down he tells me he has probable cause as he "smells it", I know this is not enough for probable cause so I caution him so. He has two more officers drive out who after talking with him both agree they smell it. I then (a little to cocky) tell them that its bs, and I'll be pressing charges the next day. SO they give me the option of waiting for a dog to come out, or they are going to search it. I warn them that my neice who is routinly in the vehicle is highly alergic to gods, and that I cant have dog hair in the truck. They say either the dog searches it or they do, I still refuse to let them search so they call for a dog. Mean while i'm sitting on the curb waiting, its about 2:30am and i pull out my cell and call my attorney on speaker phone and leave him a voice mail making sure the officers hear me. The dog arives, goes through my vehicle and finds absolutly nothing. They tell me I'm free to go, I get in the truck and laugh and tell them i'll see them in the next few days. Three days later I walk in to the station and hand the supervisor the bill for about $800 for interior detailing to be sure all dog hair and dander was removed and to remove the stain caused when the dog knocked over the can of soda in the cup holder, then I handed him a bill for another $2,500 to have the door replaced and painted as well as the whole exterior detailed and polished to match the new door. I told the supervisor if I did not recieve a check for full reimbursment within 24 hrs, then I would be filing suit aswell as a complaint with the state. The next day I was called and told the chief had a check issued for me, when I went I met with the chief,and was told they accidentally made the check out for 5k, an additional $1,700, and was told they were sorry for any inconvinence, and that their would be no further incidents. I really should of just sued the hell out of them for profiling

clydebusa
06-27-2011, 08:21 PM
Enclosed trailers with locks, I will wait for the search warrant, thank you.
Police officers waste too much time. There is better ways on catching thieves, and DOT law breakers.