PDA

View Full Version : Toro ProLine 48 Pistol Grip deal?

fprintf
10-17-2002, 08:43 PM
Hi,
I have been browsing this site for quite some time while searching since the spring for a commercial walk behind. I have found a local dealer in Waterbury CT that has a sale on Toro Proline 48 Gear Fixed decks.

The "deal" is $2400 plus tax delivered to my door, plus no money down, no payments, no interest until April next year. I was planning on buying the mower with my potential tax rebate, so that would work out very well. He tells me that the mower is essentially the same as the lower end Exmark 48.

This mower will be doing 1/2 acre, slight incline residential only. I will probably have to buy a bag for it at some point since the Spring and Fall grass grows almost too quickly for me to keep up and adequately dispose of the grass clippings into the lawn - so that is another potential $250. I am trying to convince my wife that $2600 on a mower like this that'll last a lifetime is better than spending $1800 on a Craftsman Tractor w/ bagger that'll still take me 1 hour to mow my small lawn. If I get the bagger I think she'll be ok.

Anyway, does this mower sound like a decent price especially for this time of the year with two or three cuttings left? Am I likely to find any better deals at this or other dealers on Toro or another brand by waiting until the winter or spring?

Thanks!

p.s. I see lots of guys from CT posting in the Commercial Lawn Care forum. Glad to see it!

fprintf
10-22-2002, 11:18 AM
Well I got the mower last night and mowed just before dark. I was a little worried what my stripes would look like this morning. Since I left for work before it got light I had to call my wife at home. The lawn looks pretty good except for a few newbie mistakes like not getting close enough to the landscaping and a few divots on the turns.

I started on the front yard and went to the back and she said you can see the improvement in the straightness of the lines when looking front to back! :)

Just need some stick time now, baby!

Clewsew
10-22-2002, 02:04 PM
What motor did you get? I am assuming that you got the Kholer 15 HP? Sounds like that is really good deal. Cheaper then the Gravely that I was talking about. Is it a new mower, or used? Ĺ acre with a 48". what does that take you to mow 15 minutes? Did you get a Sulky? You will get better with some stick time. I have 1 acre, and have a 32" I love it though. It is a great mower.

Congrats on your new baby,
Clewsew

fprintf
10-22-2002, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the reply. I got the Kawasaki engine, maybe a 14 hp. Brand new right out of a shipping crate. Either way it is very loud and pretty quick, although in gear 4 it was surprisingly easy to keep up with it. In gear 5 I was running, so will probably only use that occasionally for quick cleanup. (edit: the dealer said he sold 48 of these this year and all but two went to homeowners)

Now the funny thing is that I just paced my lawn area and came up with exactly 10,000 square feet of mowable lawn (that means, without the house, driveway, landscaping beds, woods, etc). That means my actual lawn area is 1/4 of an acre!! I had so much buyers remorse last night once I figured that out, but after mowing I have a grin from ear to ear. Based on the efficiency estimates in the back of the manual my lawn should take between 12 and 13 minutes at 4.5 mph. :dizzy:

fprintf
10-22-2002, 06:49 PM
Just got home - the engine is a Kawasaki 15 hp

MacLawnCo
10-22-2002, 07:32 PM
Is the Kaw 15 a v-twin? It was my understanding that they did not put the twins on the Toro fixed, and they definately dont have pistol grips. Are you sure you got a toro fixed deck?

fprintf
10-22-2002, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by MacLawnCo
Is the Kaw 15 a v-twin? It was my understanding that they did not put the twins on the Toro fixed, and they definately dont have pistol grips. Are you sure you got a toro fixed deck?

I am quite sure it is a fixed deck with pistol grips, gear/belt driven. :)

I am hoping it is not an older model, since the owners manual says copyright 2002, but anyway here goes:

It is a Kawi 15hp, model #FH451V and has two spark plugs, one on either side of the engine. V-twin perhaps?

The model# of the mower is #30523
(edit: interestingly, this model# is not listed in any Toro literature nor on the website when I tried to register the warranty. Plus the fixed deck, gear combination does not appear to be available as an option with pistol grips. Weird, huh? I have sent an email to Toro to investigate. The dealer all along has claimed that this is an Exmark mower with Toro decals and it looks *exactly* the same as the Metro 48 pictured on the Exmark site minus the ECS controls.)

Clewsew
10-22-2002, 10:40 PM
fprintf,

I called my local Toro dealer today trying to do a little research for you before I posted my reply, and my dealer said that the T-Bar was not available on the 48", but you guys say that the Pistol grips are not available for it in your area, and that is just the opposite from what my dealer says That is wierd. They said that you could get the T-bar with the 44" floating deck though. At any rate, the 15HP kawi is a good engine. I don't know about the part number on the mower though....My Modell # is 30159, so that sounds like it should be a Toro #. That sounds like what my dealer priced me. Seems like that is about $100-$400 cheaper. I think with the Kholer it was $2550 or something, and the Kawi was $2800 something.

What does is say that your top speed is? I only have 4 forward speeds and can walk fairly easy in 3rd. 4th would wear you out without the sulky.

As far a buyers remorse, look at it this way: You made an investment in a mower. You did not buy a cheap throw away at Wal-Mart. No more then you have to mow, your mower could very well last you 20+ years. And don't forget that you can take it with you if you move. Heck, you might even look at houses with bigger yards because you have the equipment to take care of it. And if you still feel bad then mow a few lawns next summer and make some of the money back that you spent! I think that I am mow a few next year.

What did your wife think when you got it home? Hope that she was happy for you! If you can post a Pic of your new baby here so we can be in awe of all it's beauty! If not that is ok too.

Congrats on the new mower!!!

Oh yeah....MacLawnCo, yes the Kawi is a twin cylinder.

Clewsew

MacLawnCo
10-23-2002, 12:21 AM
You definately have the exmark metro with Toro decals. The 15 kaw v-twin is only offered on the metro, and the toro only comes with the t-bar(not pistols) and 14 kaw single cylinder. The two mowers are the same thing, just toro has diferent controls and the metro has the twin.

fprintf
10-23-2002, 04:41 AM
Originally posted by Clewsew
[B]fprintf,

I called my local Toro dealer today trying to do a little research for you before I posted my reply, and my dealer said that the T-Bar was not available on the 48", but you guys say that the Pistol grips are not available for it in your area, and that is just the opposite from what my dealer says.

Well I am just going by what the website says. I did get pistol grips, which I am happy with.

What does is say that your top speed is? I only have 4 forward speeds and can walk fairly easy in 3rd. 4th would wear you out without the sulky.

I think it said 6 mph was top speed. I have 5 forward speeds and there is definitely a longer "throw" or space between 4th and 5th than between other gears. I tell ya, it is *fast* and I definitely couldn't use it for any length of time, as you have indicated.

And if you still feel bad then mow a few lawns next summer and make some of the money back that you spent! I think that I am mow a few next year.

I got over the "bad" feeling as soon as the mower arrived. Thanks for the encouragement, it really helps. As for mowing, we'll see how it goes. My two next door neighbors both use a lawn service that does a *great* job for cheap ($30/cut per week) but they have already been asking me if I will cut for them.

What did your wife think when you got it home? Hope that she was happy for you! If you can post a Pic of your new baby here so we can be in awe of all it's beauty! If not that is ok too.

Here is the kicker. She loves toys as much as I do and was a little shocked at the size of the thing but was so very pleased to see my sh*t-eating grin. :) My son (6 1/2 years old) was in awe but already had me pegged - "Daddy went overboard again" - wonder where he picked that up? :)

Congrats on the new mower!!!

Thank you very much. It is too bad I didn't know about the promotion for free financing until now - apparently it started at the beginning of September and I'd have a few cuts under my belt already. Now I gotta let my new toy sit all winter long.

dlandscaping
10-23-2002, 06:03 PM
It is a mid 2002 machine. Around July they started selling them with fixed deck pistol with 15 kawi. Same models as a metro with a toro sticker. It was $2600 here brand new but yes it is a brand new mower. If your dealers say they only have pistol floating which they are doing away with they are full of it. Im glad my dealer keeps me updated.

fprintf
10-23-2002, 07:47 PM
Hi guys,

As dlandscaping has said, the mower is a midyear release. I got a letter and apology from Toro today saying that the website is out of date since this mower was only released in August, and that they would be happy to register my warranty via email.

So my mower *is* new and is awesome. I did some more "practicing" on my lawn today and my stripes are getting straighter already. I had to put air in the tires because the mower still pulls to the right a bit - I'll try again tomorrow now that I am sure the air is equal on each side.

MacLawnCo
10-23-2002, 08:18 PM
The air can affect tracking, but you need to adjust the black rods that tension the drive belts with equal tire pressure to get good tracking.