PDA

View Full Version : New Mower

Gomow
10-17-2002, 08:49 PM
I finally broke down and bought a new ( it's new to me anyway,99 model) Ferris 48" hydro wb. It was used 1 year by a friend in the LC business who has since retired. Also got a 16' trailer and BR-400 blower from him. The only problem I've had so far is that the mower is too lite in the front end and wants to do wheelies going up hills and bounces up and down on rough ground or in deep grass. Frontend weights? Any suggestions?

IBGreen
10-17-2002, 08:57 PM
Buy a set of jungle wheels, and if it already has them the I don't know what to say. They keep pressure on the front wheels along with keeping you from walking. You probably already knew that though.

Brandon Shaw
Evergreen Landscaping Concepts

Gomow
10-17-2002, 09:02 PM
I use a velke with it now. How do jungle wheels help to hold the front end down? It seems to me either a velke or JW's put more weight on the rear end of the mower. Not using the velke (or jungle wheels) is not an option as I am mowing some 2-4 acre properties.

LAWNGODFATHER
10-17-2002, 09:03 PM
Foam fill the front tires, or add a weight to it.

Gtotoy
10-17-2002, 09:14 PM
how much do u weigh Gomow?

Gomow
10-17-2002, 09:35 PM
:blush: I'm 6' 280. I'm not really overwight....I'm just too short!

edward hedrick
10-17-2002, 09:45 PM
I have a 52 Lesco. tried solid front castors, were heavier but no

bounce I bolted 2 pieces of steel to front of deck 4"x 6" x 1".

worked bext pulled a 2 wheel sit down sulky. Fill the gas tank 1/2

full, less weight on back. Ed

Gomow
10-17-2002, 09:56 PM
I've thought about putting some weights on the front end. Also, I try to keep the gas tank nearly full since the tank is in the front. Why did Ferris mount the engine so far back on these mowers? It is sitting completely behind the rear wheels. You can easily push down on one of the handlebars and pick the front of the mower up. On my Snapper WB the engine is more to the front side of the wheels and I've never had this problem with it

Gravely_Man
10-18-2002, 03:48 PM
Can you get a weight set for the front of the mower to hold it down? Wheelies are not a good thing as you have already noticed.

Gravely_Man

lawnkid
10-18-2002, 04:02 PM
I jut took a weight off of my mower because it was efecting the pitch and screwed everything up. My only suggestion that would not cost anything would be just to walk the hills. Or if you wanna pay money and buy like a rider where you don't have to worry about weight. Bt that would cost a lot of money so it's your call.

LAWNGODFATHER
10-18-2002, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by lawnkid
I jut took a weight off of my mower because it was efecting the pitch and screwed everything up. My only suggestion that would not cost anything would be just to walk the hills. Or if you wanna pay money and buy like a rider where you don't have to worry about weight. Bt that would cost a lot of money so it's your call.

First part.....HUH? I don't get it?

Third part, where did you get not have to worry about weight from on a rider?