PDA

View Full Version : Heads up: Unique sconces now white interior?

The Lighting Geek
06-22-2011, 11:00 AM
Unique apparently has changed their Orion wall sconces to a bright white interior. The backing plate and inside of the curved front are now white. I tried them and IMHO, they look like crap. They are now so bright my customer asked me to take them down. The backing plate is visible and the curved part does not cover the backing plate completely, so there is a white strip along the wall varying from 0" to 1/16".

Make sure you check these out with your client before you do what I did and install 12 around the house. I won't be using them unless they remove the white completely.

S&MLL
06-22-2011, 07:08 PM
Sucks to hear. Most of the time I spec out vista up/downs anyway

Elegant Outdoor Lighting
07-01-2011, 06:46 PM
Anyone here from Unique that cares to respond? My clients also are now saying that the wall light is "too bright"... not good-

Would you guys please change them back?

Elegant Outdoor Lighting
08-22-2011, 05:15 PM
Still I have received no response. I was asked to forward this thread and also "in writing" to Unique...just got the run around and promises for answers....

Anyone know of a good line voltage sconce light without annoying glare on the back plate?

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
08-22-2011, 08:48 PM
Hi Scott. Are the fixtures to be mounted to a standard 120V octagonal junction box? If so why not just pop a lightech LET60 or LET75 electronic transformer inside the j-box and then use whatever low voltage up/down fixture you choose. I have used the Vista in Copper and in Black and also the Nightscaping Dualiter with excellent results.

There are a number of 120V up/down fixtures on the market, but most either have a poor build quality or are architectural grade and rather expensive.

That being said, check out the Vortex line from Intense Lighting. All stainless steel, but really nice in both 12V and 120V

J Larson
08-23-2011, 06:11 PM
Another nice light from BK is the El Dorado 12V Link: http://www.bklighting.com/products.php?ID=377
This fixture can mount on a J box and with the 5 inch plate it covers very well. But you will need an electronic transformer like James mentioned above in the box.
Both the Vista and Nightscaping back plate is too small to cover a standard octagon j box. But you can order custom plates for them.
If you want 120V would a Par 20 work for you or would that be too big?
Let me know if you need prices on them.