PDA

View Full Version : Concrete Your Capstones

Crusher Run
06-22-2011, 10:33 PM
I've got a raised patio built out of retaining wall blocks. Rockwood 6 Classic. I'm going to be installing a vinyl railing kit for safety. I want to just fasten the railing post to the caps, which I think would be sufficient. But to make it stronger I got the idea to place concrete in the cavities of the last course of block, then secure the caps. That way I can use longer hardware to ensure I get a good bite for the anchor posts. Thoughts?

Thanks.

prosper
06-23-2011, 10:11 AM
ONe reason I am leaning away from SRW for a project that I am planning is that railings seem to be a pain in the neck. I dont know if just filing one course would be enough since verslok railing specs want more than one course filled. I would worry about someone leaning on that railing and putting pressure on that can stone and first course, I see it causing an issue at some point.

Does the railing have to go on the edge (cap) or could it be moved inward toward the floor (assuming a landing here) so that you have more freedom or supprt (I dont think this looks good though).

Crusher Run
06-23-2011, 11:32 PM
Versolok calls for concrete in the top of the wall? I still have 2 courses exposed. The railing is going on top of the caps. I don't want to see the back of the block, if anything at all I'll see the back of the caps. I'm hoping that the railing, when assembled correctly will form a rigid structure of its own. So when someone leans on it rather than transfer all the force to the block some or most of it will get deflected to the rail system.

Does anyone have experience with these vinyl railing system?

SunriseGardens
06-23-2011, 11:55 PM
any pictures?

prosper
06-24-2011, 02:53 AM
Go to verslok site, they have detailed drawings for railings.
From other installs I have seen, vinyl flexs alot and looks very plasticy, I wouldnt use it.

rlitman
06-24-2011, 03:02 PM
From other installs I have seen, vinyl flexs alot and looks very plasticy, I wouldnt use it.

Newer vinyl has a better look.
The good vinyl railings have steel inside. Solid as a rock. Vinyl fencing is NOT a substitute for a proper railing.

Crusher Run
06-24-2011, 04:12 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=271178

Here is the link to the thread with photos.

Crusher Run
06-24-2011, 04:13 PM
I got the quote for the rail. $1450 for everything!! I am pissed! It has aluminum I beam in the top and bottom rails.

Cam.at.Heritage
06-24-2011, 04:32 PM
Usually we try and keep the railing off the top of the wall it self and just put it directly behind the wall. Its a little late now but we usually just start 6" pvd pipe at the bottom of the wall and make mini sono tube type idea. Then mount your posts on that.

This means someone would basically have to push the whole wall other to move the railing....very unlikely.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-yO05iAOCG3k/TgTmBldZJLI/AAAAAAAAAt4/5lJoG0ULe9c/s512/IMG_2480.jpg