PDA

View Full Version : Mushrooms are fine on steak but not on MY grass

GarPA
10-18-2002, 06:21 AM
We've had a ton of rain the past few weeks here in the mid atlantic. I have mushrooms all over my yard....lots of them and bunches more in my planting beds. Yes moisture has somehting to do with it probably, but cant be the only cause. I did topdress certain spots in my yard in spring with peat moss....and I think wood can harbor mushroom "seeds". But they are in places I did not topdress.
They'll go away so I'm not worried about them...just curious about why they might have popped up since I like to learn this stuff in case a customer asks...BTW...I have not seen them on any other property I work on...weird

stslawncare
10-18-2002, 08:16 AM
i have them on my lawn, and 1 or 2 customers.

65hoss
10-18-2002, 08:20 AM
Good sign your soil is in pretty good shape. Mushrooms need good soil to grow.

Darb
10-18-2002, 11:20 AM
Mushrooms generate via spores. These spores can remain dormate for long periods of time and then spring to life when the environmental conditions are just right. That is what happened when it rained and the soil was wet enough for these spores to grow.
Darb

Gravely_Man
10-18-2002, 11:25 AM
Darb is right on track with the spores. These can remain dormant in the soil or can be spread from lawn to lawn via the mower deck. If you are really concerned about them you can apply a fungicide to stop them.

Gravely_Man

hnter
10-18-2002, 11:29 AM
aside from scraping the mower deck down between lawns is there anything available to spray on the deck to eliminate carrying spores from lawn to lawn?

mklawnman
10-18-2002, 11:40 AM
Have a couple accounts where their are a few white mushrooms growing. Both of these accounts are fertilized and such, just seem strange to see them. I dont see many of them in the spring, but yeah if i remember correctly we did have a good amount of rain before these mushrooms came up. Ill just keep an eye out for them on my other accounts.
They arent cool to weedeat them end up spraying yourself with those yellow ones. Done that before, what a mess.:p
Matt

Randy Scott
10-18-2002, 11:48 AM
Moisture! Lot's of it. Usually treatment is more than people want to spend and they just deal with them.

MOW ED
10-19-2002, 12:06 PM
Moisture along with proper conditions will grow shrooms. Usually the cool dark helps.

There are other reasons such as decomposing organic matter in the subsurface soil. If you have a relatively new lot and the contractor trucked in "so called TOP soil" you may have gotten a mix of soil from a place that had lots of twigs or sticks in there. When they decay in the cool moist weather.

Other reasons are tree stumps that have been cut and ground below the grass line as well as certain lawn diseases like fairy ring, necrotic ring spot and other fungus type diseases that cause decomposing grass and organic matter to sprout mushrooms.
I just tell them to live with it. Eventually they will decompose and go away. Otherwise its 40+ an hour for me to send a worker to pick them.

BerksLawn
10-19-2002, 04:37 PM
W have them on 75% of our yards and we hate them dam things. I hate them even more now since i almost lost my foot yesterday. I was doing a zero turn with the walkbehind and went into the next stripe and slipped on one. I fell on my *** and my foot slide and I lifted it up so it hit the back of the deck and not go under. I guess I got lucky

Tony Harrell
10-20-2002, 06:31 AM
I have them from time to time also. Mostly afer a rain. I cut a bed edge in the general vicinity of them and the dirt had little white "stuff". I also notice hundreds of tiny mushrooms sometimes around a couple of trees that have double ground mulch around them. I've also had fairy rings in these areas. Last week I was way out in the country and noticed the biggest fairy ring I've ever seen on the rolling hills. I was quite a distance away but, it was just huge. They're going to stand out even more as the grass goes dormant for the winter.