PDA

View Full Version : Another incompetent sod job

IRRITECH
06-23-2011, 08:43 AM
1- What's wrong with this photo
2- Removed a huge oak tree, ground the stump and covered it up, brilliant.
3- No sun, but the contractor told the owner he would cut a few branches and it would be fine. (fescue there before didn't do well)

All on the same irrigation zone. washboard grade job, etc. Oh, yeah and the sod was put in before the patio.

White Gardens
06-23-2011, 09:20 AM
Photos don't say much to me, just looks dry.

But yes, stupid to do before the patio and the final grade looks off.

Dr.NewEarth
06-23-2011, 11:37 AM
Check into Pythium foliar blight. Avoid excessive nitrogen and watering. Irrigate in the morning only, and ensure good air circulation. Aerate

Some strains in the U.S.A. are insensitive to metalaxl. Benomyl can enhance Phythium foliar blight. You could try chloroneb.

DIXIECONTRACTING
06-23-2011, 03:03 PM
Looks like someone doesn't know how to fertilize grass. JMHO

IRRITECH
06-23-2011, 08:50 PM
I suppose since all you are Yankees that you are partially excused.

1- Sod installed UP a slope?? On the left side of the picture, you can't mow it. Are you going to pay for a sod jod that you have to weedeat?? Right side along patio, contractor threw leftover scraps against the new patio, really??

2- No excuse for this. Ground up woodchips will rob the area of nitrogen, hence the circular area. Second as they decay you will end up with a hole in the yard. If you grind out a tree stump and plan to sod over it, you have to remove the ground up mulch AND add topsoil.

3- Tif419 Bermuda will NOT grow in the shade! This is not anything but a moron contractor. Look at the far end of the turf, it gets enough sun and hence is green.

And finally, one irrigation zone for both full sun and 60-70% shade.

unkownfl
06-24-2011, 12:01 AM
You guys use 419 on residential lawns up there?

IRRITECH
06-24-2011, 07:16 AM
You guys use 419 on residential lawns up there?

Is there another Bermuda ?? :)

White Gardens
06-24-2011, 09:06 AM

I'll use that as my excuse! :laugh:

I pretty much caught all of that except for the zones for watering. Even as a Yank, I can see the shade issues. Any lawn up here that has been invaded by Bermuda usually stops when it hits the shade.

Even for northern grasses you won't find a sod blend up here that will handle shade. Any time I get a customer requesting sod in high shade areas, I usually steer them to doing a seeding.

So what do you guys do down there for shade grass IRRITECH? I generally use a creeping red fescue with good to great results.

Stillwater
06-25-2011, 12:31 AM

1- Sod installed UP a slope?? On the left side of the picture, you can't mow it. Are you going to pay for a sod jod that you have to weedeat?? Right side along patio, contractor threw leftover scraps against the new patio, really??

2- No excuse for this. Ground up woodchips will rob the area of nitrogen, hence the circular area. Second as they decay you will end up with a hole in the yard. If you grind out a tree stump and plan to sod over it, you have to remove the ground up mulch AND add topsoil.

3- Tif419 Bermuda will NOT grow in the shade! This is not anything but a moron contractor. Look at the far end of the turf, it gets enough sun and hence is green.

And finally, one irrigation zone for both full sun and 60-70% shade.

I guess I am a Yank, a Yank in need of a Crystal ball becouse

1) I can't see from the picture sod was planted over ground up wood chips but I will trust you on that.

2) I can't tell from the picture their was ever a stump their but I will trust you on that.

3) the grade is deceiving in the picture You can't really tell you need a trimmer for that area (maybe a little) but I will trust you on that.

4) is that really TIF419? I cant really tell from the picture but I will trust you on that.

Century Landscape
06-30-2011, 03:58 PM
Good ol' St. Augustine for the shade! Can't beat it!

IRRITECH
06-30-2011, 09:13 PM
I'll use that as my excuse! :laugh:

So what do you guys do down there for shade grass IRRITECH? I generally use a creeping red fescue with good to great results.

Sorry, missed your post. We use Fescue for moderate shade and creeping red for heavier shade. The red doesn't always do that well down here.

Century, St Aug will not survive this far north. Too bad , I used to really like it.