PDA

View Full Version : Toro 48 fixed pro G pistol grip questions

fprintf
10-18-2002, 09:01 AM
Hi,
I have been browsing this site for quite some time while searching since the spring for a commercial walk behind. I have found a local dealer in Waterbury CT that has a sale on Toro Proline 48 Gear Fixed decks.

The "deal" is $2400 plus tax delivered to my door, plus no money down, no payments, no interest until April next year. I was planning on buying the mower with my potential tax rebate, so that would work out very well. He tells me that the mower is essentially the same as the lower end Exmark 48.

This mower will be doing 1/2 acre, slight incline residential only. I will probably have to buy a bag for it at some point since the Spring and Fall grass grows almost too quickly for me to keep up and adequately dispose of the grass clippings into the lawn - so that is another potential $250. I am trying to convince my wife that $2600 on a mower like this that'll last a lifetime is better than spending $1800 on a Craftsman Tractor w/ bagger that'll still take me 1 hour to mow my small lawn. If I get the bagger I think she'll be ok.

Anyway, does this mower sound like a decent price especially for this time of the year with two or three cuttings left? Am I likely to find any better deals at this or other dealers on Toro or another brand by waiting until the winter or spring?

Thanks!

p.s. I see lots of guys from CT posting in the Commercial Lawn Care forum. Glad to see it!

p.p.s. Sorry for the cross post, but this was originally in homeowners assistance, which doesn't get much traffic. Thanks in advance.

dwost
10-18-2002, 11:17 AM
Hi fprintf,

I too was in the same debate earlier this spring. I'm in the same boat as I was looking for an under $3k option for a 48" wb that I would be using for my lawn only. Your rationale is good. You are MUCH better off buying a commercial unit than wasting your $$ on a Craftsman tractor. I was set on the Exmark Metro 48 or Toro 48. Not sure if you know this but Toro bought Exmark (or the other way around) and they are essentially the same mowers. I don't think you can go wrong with that deal. I was leaning toward the eXmak simply because of resale and eXmark has a better name in commercial. I could get the 48" at that time for about 3,000 out the door. Well, in my searching I ended up looking at the Gravely 48" and fell in love immediately. The mower has many of the options of the pricier models including full scalp wheel all around, 7ga steel on the WHOLE deck and frame, larger wheels, floating deck, you name it, it had it. I worked a good deal out with the dealer where I got it for the SAME price ($3,000 out the door) The mower has been great. All I can say is that you will be very happy with your purchase wether its a toro/eXmark, etc... sounds to me like that is a killer deal. Keep us posted on your findings. If your curious, here is my write up at the time of my purchase if you want to see what I based my decision on. good luck.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29862&highlight=1548

fprintf
10-18-2002, 04:52 PM
Well, I did it. The mower comes on Monday. For those in CT, I bought it from Schmidt's & Serafine's in Waterbury, CT and couldn't be happier. I am told that my 1/2 acre will take about 20-25 minutes. I can mow 3 times a week and still break even on the time I spend on my lawn per week!!!!

:) :) :blob1: