PDA

View Full Version : Buuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Green Pastures
10-18-2002, 08:52 AM
Wow, it's only 43 Degrees (feels like 39 deg.) this morning, coldest morning of the fall so far. It feels really weird to be chilly.

I know you guy's in Minnesota are thinking "What a pansy!" but you weren't riding your jetski in 84 degree water just last week either. It's gotten cold here and in a hurry.

With the drought we had this summer and now the quick way it's gone cold, I hope all the leaves drop right off all the trees all at once. One big leaf cleanup, and were done for the year. :blob4:

Scott

Toroguy
10-18-2002, 09:31 AM
We are jealous of those still riding the jetskis!

Ive been affected by the cold too, wore the winter gloves yesterday. The only positive is no cooler needed for the lunchs. And not sweating a gallon is also nice when the day ends. I like to wear ear muff hearing protection vs. ear plugs.

Gravely_Man
10-18-2002, 01:02 PM
As I left the shop today I felt sorry for all of the people who don't have a place to park the trucks inside. I saw a lot of window scraping. It was quite cold for me to when I had to finally get out of the truck and actually do something!

Gravely_Man

Swampbeast
10-18-2002, 01:13 PM
Hummm, right now my thermometer says its 91 degrees outside, thats a nice day here in Texas. Hot is when its around 110 degrees, and anything below 80 is frigid. And its really humid out here to! :blob2: :blob2: :blob2: :blob2:

photowriters1
10-18-2002, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Swampbeast
Hummm, right now my thermometer says its 91 degrees outside, thats a nice day here in Texas. Hot is when its around 110 degrees, and anything below 80 is frigid. And its really humid out here to! You must be in Houston.

hustlers
10-18-2002, 05:14 PM
wussys, we got 2 inches of snow and is
in the 20s , terrible all the leaves are
down and i cant work, so im losing some
money and getting bored drinking my
perfect cup of coffee trying to watch the
snow melt

LAWNGODFATHER
10-18-2002, 06:47 PM
Dude this cold just means the money will be falling from trees very soon!!!!

sirsweatsalot
10-18-2002, 06:51 PM
they said we were to have 5 inches of snow on the ground last night so i wake up at 4 expecting to think about may be plowing but we just got a dusting... still to wet to suck leaves! it must suck to live in Texas!

greenman
10-19-2002, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by LAWNGODFATHER
Dude this cold just means the money will be falling from trees very soon!!!!

:D :D

Swampbeast
10-19-2002, 07:13 PM
Naw, it doesnt suck to live in Texas, you get used to the heat, and while you are all sitting on your rears losing money the grass is still green and growing down here!
Yeah, I do live in Houston. Right now its drizzling, and its COLD! It has to be in the seventies! Son of a monkey spank! The thermometer says its 71 degrees! Frigid!

LAWNGODFATHER
10-19-2002, 07:33 PM
while you are all sitting on your rears losing money the grass is still green and growing down here!

How do you antisipate we are loosing money?

Swampbeast
10-19-2002, 07:53 PM
Excuse me, I meant "not making money due to mowing grass". That better? :)

LAWNGODFATHER
10-19-2002, 08:05 PM
How many cuts do you get in a year? Some yards I can get 40 some odd cuts in on.

I would rather do all the other services then cut grass.

greenman
10-19-2002, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by LAWNGODFATHER
How many cuts do you get in a year? Some yards I can get 40 some odd cuts in on.

Same here, between 38 and 44 cuts, then I still get to make more money from the leaves.

Swampbeast
10-19-2002, 08:52 PM
Hmm. Let me see. Okay, this one guy we mowed his yard a grand total of 68 times. (obviously, more than once a week sometimes) due to the grass growing so fast. Most of them average out to about 48-58 it looks like. We often have to cut the same yard twice just because there is just the perfect amount of rain, sunshine, and warmth to get it growing FAST! One lady we only did 12 times in the whole year! Ha ha! She is the only one like that thank God. Yeah, the lowest number is twelve, the highest 68, most of them falling in the upper 40's to lower 50's. The growing season is longer here, just a little bit. We never really get winter, we are in the sub-tropics after all.
Really? I like mowing grass. I find it enjoyable. Thats why I am in this business in the first place! :) What I really like is playing with all my "toys" (mowers). I find tinkering with and using my mowers, trucks, and different pieces of equipment is lots of fun. :D

LAWNGODFATHER
10-19-2002, 09:03 PM
Let me refrase my statment now that you went to more than 1 cut a week.

I have cut some lawns for 40-42 weeks during the entire year.

I have also cut some lawns 60 +/- times a year.

There is not much difference here than there, but the length of the actual heat the summer brings.

You cut warm to hot season grass, I cut both.

Trust me I love the toys also, but only mowing you are limited.

What about all the other toys;

Skid Streers
Aerators
Power rakes
Ride on Sprayer/Spreaders
Tractors
Leaf Vacs
Chain Saws
Hedge trimmers
ETC......

keylawns
10-19-2002, 10:48 PM
:blob1: the cold is coming this way because the night are getting cold and we are looseing sun

Swampbeast
10-19-2002, 10:51 PM
This is just me personally, I love mowers. I am sure all those other toys are fun to, but just not to me. I just dont have as much fun on my aerater/fertilizer/leaf-vac tractor. I dont know why, I just dont like it. Weedeaters and hedge trimmers for some reason aggravate my wrist, so I dont particularly enjoy them.
But give me a good mower, and there we go! Yeah! Seeing that rough grass go under, and then beautiful manicured grass popping out the other end, I enjoy it.
Chain saws are fun for everyone, that goes without saying.
Question, you seem like the perfect knowledgable person to ask, what exactly is a Skid Steer?
I love tractors, especially the big ones.
To me personally though, the ultimate fun is to hop on my Kawasaki Prairie 650 and go tear it up outside! Now THATS entertainment! :cool: :D :blob3:

LAWNGODFATHER
10-19-2002, 11:18 PM
Skid Steer;

Bobcat, New Holland, Case, Daewoo, Toyota, Thomas, John Deere, Hydromac, ASV, JCB, Tachiuchi, Mustang, Cat.

Yamaha Waveblaster

Tony Harrell
10-20-2002, 07:16 AM
Brrrrrr? I say BRAAAAAAP! It's time to start the dirt bikes. Nothing like flying through the air with a cool breeze in your face and not sweat! No monkey butt in cool weather either.

dr grass
10-20-2002, 09:01 AM
scott, im with you bro. got cold in a BIG hurry here in michigan also. im ready to call er' a season to. come on leaves!!! come to me baby!!! HAHAHA...

shep

1MajorTom
10-20-2002, 09:31 AM
Quote: How many cuts do you get in a year? Some yards I can get 40 some odd cuts in on.

Quote: Let me refrase my statment now that you went to more than 1 cut a week.
I have cut some lawns for 40-42 weeks during the entire year.
I have also cut some lawns 60 +/- times a year.

Ok, let me see if I can understand this.
Your first statement I thought you meant you cut up to 40 times per season.
Then you "clarified" and said 40 to 42 WEEKS of cutting.

So let's see.
In Missouri let's say your season starts March 3rd. 40 weeks would carry you into the week of December 1st. 42 weeks of cutting would take you into the week of December 15th. That's for 40 or 42 weeks of straight cutting, not missing any weeks right, due to say dry weather?

Now let's examine your 60+ times of cutting.

So let's say your season start early on March 3rd and runs thru December 1st. (that would be 40 cuts) Then go back, and say you started your twice weekly cuttings when the Spring growth hit say maybe the week of April 1st? You would be cutting then an additional 20 times right? That there would take you for twice weekly cuttings into the week of August 11th. Good thing Missouri doesn't get hit with a dry spell. And it's truly amazing you still are able to get your twice weekly cuttings in the spring when the rainy season starts and most people fall behind a bit due to the weather.

Or: Maybe you twice weekly cut these starting on April 1st (when most peoples season is just starting) and ending on the week of June 2nd for twice weekly cuttings, then pick back up the pace on the twice weekly cuttings say September 29th until the week of December 1st for twice weekly cuttings? Is that correct?

I think we all need to move to Missiouri where the cutting season never stops.

Or maybe, I'm not even close. Maybe you you can go into some detail how you achieve your 60+ cuttings? And would this be this year by chance you are referring to?

LLMSERVICE
10-20-2002, 10:48 AM
I woke up to two inches of snow this morning...earliest I've ever seen it. Last year, we didn't see it until mid December. Maybe I'm not crazy for looking at a new snowmachine afterall.

I can usually get between 15 and 22 cuts in a year. I had two cuttings booked today and a pathway installation on hold. However, its melting fast so I may get out mid afternoon. Thats the problem as far as the summer season goes in that its limited here and winter is unpredictable. Last winter, it only snowed seven times. There were a lot of barely used plows for sale this past spring.

Toroguy
10-20-2002, 12:15 PM
Weather here is pretty crappy, snow forecasted all week, high in the 30's, snowfall amounts under and inch, so no big whoop.

My usual number of visits/cuts is 22, this year was wet, so a likelyhood of 25 visits depending on when snow remains on the ground.

LLM, the unused plows are a potential great opportunity for low cost equipment, the snow will return, and if positioned right, so will a nice balance sheet.

Swampbeast, protect yourself from potential frostbite, 70 degree temps are dangerous;)

LAWNGODFATHER
10-20-2002, 02:21 PM
Your assumptions are pretty close. BTW they are the same lawns.

Naw we don't need anymore jokers here in St. Louis.

1MajorTom
10-20-2002, 02:33 PM
Quote: Your assumptions are pretty close.

Which assumption was correct?
The one where you are cutting twice a week until August 11th?
Or cutting twice a week into December?

Quote: BTW they are the same lawns.

What does that mean? The same lawns what? How many lawns would that be?

Swampbeast
10-20-2002, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Toroguy
Swampbeast, protect yourself from potential frostbite, 70 degree temps are dangerous;) [/B]

Yes, I will be sure to, I thought my toes looked a little frosty this morning! :cool: :D :cool:

MacLawnCo
10-20-2002, 07:36 PM
i was priveledged enough to mow in 40s and drizzling rain this saturday. I sure hope it does this again next week. I really enjoyed nasty runny nose and cough the weather gave me. :(

GreenQuest Lawn
10-20-2002, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Tony Harrell
Brrrrrr? I say BRAAAAAAP! It's time to start the dirt bikes. Nothing like flying through the air with a cool breeze in your face and not sweat! No monkey butt in cool weather either.

Yup riding 3-4 times per week now. Gotta love this cold weather.

LLMSERVICE
10-20-2002, 10:19 PM
Toroguy...

I'm tempted to put a plow on my new Sierra, except I'm welcoming some rest this winter. My best plowing season was in 95 when we had blizzards every week. I haven't plowed in about five years. Every second guy with a truck in this city has a plow, so the margins can be low.

How many snowfalls did you get in MN last winter? I suspect not a lot because we had a ton of MN and WI snowmobilers coming up our way to ride our sled trails.

Sooners
10-20-2002, 11:04 PM
Naw, it doesnt suck to live in Texas, you get used to the heat, and while you are all sitting on your rears losing money the grass is still green and growing down here!

Swampbeast is right. I lived in Houston for 12 years and with the St. Augustine and 100 in. of rain a year I would have to mow twice a week at times. And I've even mowed on New Years day. I've trimmed rose bushes in Feb with roses still blooming. Man how I DON'T miss that 95% humidity.

Swampbeast
10-21-2002, 12:21 AM
AMEN! I could easily do without the humidity!
Ha ha, yeah, one time I wore shorts to go mow a guys yard on January 3rd. It just dont get cold! Unless a northeastner blows in, then it gets down to those outlandish temperatures that you northern folks are used to, like 45 degrees. woof! I like it hot! :cool:

Turfcouncil
10-21-2002, 01:32 AM
The heat is the stuff.
Humidity is the downer..not much of that here in good old sin city.
I have some lawns that i cut at 40-50 times per year.
It gets pretty cold here.
That is why you have all the seasonal toys to play with.
This time of year is perfect 80-90 in the day 60 at night.
humidity at 10-20%
Braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap is right.
Well....just thought i would type a bit finaly.

Toroguy
10-21-2002, 10:03 AM
LLM,

Last Winter was near average for snowfall. I like you, enjoy the time off as well.

LAWNGODFATHER
10-21-2002, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by 1MajorTom
Quote: Your assumptions are pretty close.

Which assumption was correct?
The one where you are cutting twice a week until August 11th?
Or cutting twice a week into December?

Quote: BTW they are the same lawns.

What does that mean? The same lawns what? How many lawns would that be?

Spring and Fall

17 lawns, same person. She likes everything perfectly manicured.

sirsweatsalot
10-21-2002, 11:40 PM
ok i guess i missed the big show down on how many cuts a guy can do a year well i think we're close to end here all these friggin bird baths have froze over!

Arnold
10-21-2002, 11:51 PM
We have all our sprinkler systems blown out for the year, the leaves are on the ground, grass has been done growing for a month because of the drought, so send that snow and cold weather I'm ready for some Ice Fishing

sirsweatsalot
10-21-2002, 11:53 PM
ahh yes ice fishing... very nice indeed

Brickman
10-22-2002, 12:07 AM
Hey Arnold what part of the great state of WY do you live??

You are the third or fourth guy from WY that I have seen on LS. Welcome

Arnold
10-22-2002, 12:10 AM
southeast

Brickman
10-22-2002, 12:19 AM
Cheyenne, Torrington????

I live just east of Cheyenne. Carpenter is my mailing address.