PDA

View Full Version : Worse productivity killer, Texting or Smoking

lawncuttinfoo
06-23-2011, 05:25 PM
I vote for smoking, you can make rules that say no texting on the job. God forbid you tell a smoker no smoking on the job.

Hell has no fury like a smoker warned.

93Chevy
06-23-2011, 05:37 PM
"I need a cigarette dude, you have no right to tell me I can't smoke"

Showpropserv
06-23-2011, 05:37 PM
wheres C. lunch:laugh:

Winnipeg Lawns
06-23-2011, 06:02 PM
Paying by the hour.

Dr.NewEarth
06-23-2011, 09:55 PM
No smoking on my sites period. No personal electronics use period. It's all in the contract that they sign. If they can't play by the company rules, they can go play some-where else. Exclamation Mark!

lukemelo216
06-23-2011, 10:59 PM
I dont care about smoking on my sites unless if a customer specifically asks that we dont. I only have one guy that does smoke and usually we are mowing lawns. He only has maybe 3-4 cigs in an 8-10 hour day, and he doesnt stop to smoke. If we ar cutting a big place and hes mowing he will have one or when he is blowing the grass off. But thats it. He really doesnt grasp texting so that doesnt hurt me. If he were stoping and not working to have a cig then I would have a problem, but i never even notice it that hes having one.

PROCUT1
06-24-2011, 12:08 AM
Texting you have to divert your attention away from the job to engage with someone not on company time. Thats a big no no.

Smoking. Smoke all you want, just dont stop work to do it. And if you encounter a customer, put it out. And no butts on the ground.

Some people act like its this big taboo thing.

AI Inc
06-24-2011, 06:07 AM
Texting you have to divert your attention away from the job to engage with someone not on company time. Thats a big no no.

Smoking. Smoke all you want, just dont stop work to do it. And if you encounter a customer, put it out. And no butts on the ground.

Some people act like its this big taboo thing.

same way I see it.

Brothersllc
06-24-2011, 07:32 AM
Dam i wish i had yalls employees i got three guys and there alwas smoking cigs or a joint and texing or talkn lol good luck finding some one whos guna work 10 a hour and not do this
Posted via Mobile Device

lukemelo216
06-24-2011, 10:26 AM
Actually its not that hard to find people like that, you just need to have a good interview process, and not ask questions like can you operate a string trimmer. Even basic laborers get asked questions that make them really think, and you learn a lot from them. then after the fact you need to make sure your a boss and not a friend. I am a friend to my employees and we will talk and goof around and stuff, but when they arent working up to par, they hear about it. lastly if they are smoking weed on a job, they are gone. What they do outside of work isnt my business, but they most certinaly arent smoking that on the job site.

Showpropserv
06-24-2011, 01:54 PM
wow i dont text or smoke and im glad there going up 1.50 a pack here

Texas Lawn
06-24-2011, 02:56 PM
there alwas smoking cigs or a joint

:nono:

Cigs are one thing. Joints? That would be a problem

DavesLL
06-24-2011, 03:17 PM
I don't see why you'd care if they were smoking unless:
A) they stopped excessively for a smoke (all helpers need a break when the work is hard; but smokers don't deserve any extra breaks, or longer ones)
B) they were littering, *ESPECIALLY* on client properties. They need to field strip and pocket their butts.

I mean, really; if someone wants to smoke, outside, without littering, and without abusing the "I need a break" notion, then what's the problem? Just because you employ them doesn't mean you get to run their lives. Either they're good workers or not. I strongly doubt someone could be a bad worker JUST because they smoke.

Cam.at.Heritage
06-24-2011, 03:18 PM
I would agree with most that texting is much worse.... at least people can continue to work while they smoke. Joints on the other hand, definitely not!!!

Brothersllc
06-24-2011, 06:25 PM
Omg u people whats Wrong with lettn them bring a sack of weed were lawn compainies not the fbi yall too uptight i guess yall dnt buy them a 12 pack on the last yard either my opion nutn wrong with pain pills and weed i dnt personaly take it but doesnt bother me
Posted via Mobile Device

93Chevy
06-24-2011, 06:37 PM
Omg u people whats Wrong with lettn them bring a sack of weed were lawn compainies not the fbi yall too uptight i guess yall dnt buy them a 12 pack on the last yard either my opion nutn wrong with pain pills and weed i dnt personaly take it but doesnt bother me
Posted via Mobile Device

It might bother you when they kill somebody because they're high or drunk

cpllawncare
06-24-2011, 07:54 PM
Most all the bigger companies around here have no smoking on company grounds policies in place, which I agree with especially if they are paying for your health insurance. I don't have any employees at the time, but when I do there will be a no texting policy for sure, probably no cell phones period, except for crew leaders, no smoking in company vehicles either, Yea I'm going to be a hard ass, but people just can't be trusted to be responsible anymore so they bring it on themselves.