PDA

View Full Version : 2012 International TerraStar

Hard at Werk
06-23-2011, 06:47 PM
Will be in the market for a new Class 5 Diesel this fall/winter. Would like your opinions on this truck compared to the 2012 Ford F-550, because chevy and dodge just dont make the grade. Would especially like to hear from people that own the International.

Marek
06-23-2011, 09:11 PM
Not sure if you are going to find anyone who owns one yet. It looks to be the same 6.4 engine that was in the 08 - 10 fords, if so they can keep it. I glanced at the Dodge last fall. Nice truck but lacks a good auto trans. Still waiting to see how the new 6.7 holds up. My dealer has one in now with 30 k on the truck and a blown motor, but its the first one they have had issiues with.

tnmtn
06-23-2011, 11:21 PM
i don't have much of an opinion of those trucks. as mentioned earlier they can keep that engine. personally i have been very happy with my chevy and would rather buy 2 used chevy's than one of them.

Hard at Werk
06-26-2011, 02:50 PM
I got a chance to take a quick drive on it, and I have to say my '04 F550 drives, accelerates, and stops better than the Terrastar. In one word I am dissapointed. I fell in love looking at the pictures I saw online... and was really hoping it performed as good as it looked and on top of that the front end sits 6" of the ground which is just completely unacceptable. I will be looking at the Hino next.

bobcat_ron
06-26-2011, 05:10 PM
Hino and Mitsubishi are better in that class, the Terrastar has the same problematic engine that Ford has plus it's a de-rated heavier truck, so it's going to lack power.
Posted via Mobile Device

ecurbthims
06-26-2011, 05:11 PM
the Hino is a very dependable truck ,I used to work on a fleet of about 30 of them and had no major problems other than parts availability .I needed a hanger bearing for one ,every piece was a seperate part ,and there was some missing parts so I think they found somebody to swim us the needed pieces,only took him 6 weeks to get here .Hows your local dealer for parts inventory ?if he has a good sized stock room I would buy a hino in a minute ,if not I would think a lot harder before purchase .Your going to be stuck buying the majority of your parts at the dealer ,the aftermarket hasn't jumped on board with the hino stuff yet .

ProTouch Groundscapes
06-26-2011, 08:37 PM
all i'll say on this matter is that after I got rid of the dpf/doc on my 6.4 (same engine as terrastar) its a whole different truck. much more reliable, better acceleration (13sec 1/4miles) and much better fuel economy.

dont blame the big3 for all your truck problems, blame the EPA

dbear
06-27-2011, 08:10 AM
I thought the 6.0 was the one with issues. It was my understanding that the whole reliability issue of the 6.0 was a result of the fuel system/computer settings that Ford had installed. This was the primary reason for the warranty claims legal fight between Ford and Navistar.

I believe Ford also tweaked the 6.4 in some unique way too. The 6.4 in the TerraStar might be the same block as what Ford had used, but I believe it to still be significantly different. Additionally, this latest generation 6.4 I'm sure is as different as that between early D-max and now. I know there are a bunch of Navistar 6.4 engines out there in RVs, and have seen many owners rave about their performance and reliability.

No personal experience with either the TerraStar or Ford 6.4. Just wanting accuracy and fairness in facts.

For those considering the TerraStar, why not just step up to the DuraStar? Guess I don't understand the advantages to the "smaller" truck.

tailboardtech
06-27-2011, 05:49 PM
For those considering the TerraStar, why not just step up to the DuraStar? Guess I don't understand the advantages to the "smaller" truck.

the Terrastar can be under 26,000# so it will be under CDL. i have not driven one but i have logged over 80,000 miles in a Workstar i love the cab in those trucks

BrandonV
06-27-2011, 07:31 PM
Hino and Mitsubishi are better in that class, the Terrastar has the same problematic engine that Ford has plus it's a de-rated heavier truck, so it's going to lack power.
Posted via Mobile Device

right on ronnie! or just get the f650 w/ the cummins.

bobcat_ron
06-27-2011, 08:22 PM
right on ronnie! or just get the f650 w/ the cummins.

Oh those are just pigs on diesel, over sized pick up trucks in a nutshell.
Posted via Mobile Device

dbear
06-28-2011, 06:58 PM
the Terrastar can be under 26,000# so it will be under CDL. i have not driven one but i have logged over 80,000 miles in a Workstar i love the cab in those trucks
Hadn't thought about the CDL issue. I know International used to offer the DuraStar in class 4 thru 7, but I see now since the release of the TerraStar that the DuraStar is only offered as class 6&7.