PDA

View Full Version : MTD pro 52" WB......Is it for me???

Buckeye1
10-18-2002, 03:14 PM
Need some help in choosing a WB mower. My budget and the fact I won't need to mow in wet conditions puts me in the belt drive catagory. I am not interested in going into business, just want a decent mower to use on my 2.5 acres of slightly to moderately sloped hillside and valley.

I was thinking serious about a 48" scag or exmark, both around $3000, when I ran across a "fall clearance special". A new MTD pro WB w/16hp Briggs Vanguard for $2295. The sales pitch was pretty good - 1)over $1000 less than scag or exmark of same size cut. 2) same peerless trans. as scag or exmark. 3) same warranty(2yrs?)as scag. 4)perfect for homeowner with big yard.

I know most of you would not recommend this mower for business use every day, but remember we are only talking a few hours per week.

I know very little about these machines. What differences would I see between the MTV and a scag or exmark? Any info, advise, tips on what to buy would be greatly appreciated! thanks.

fprintf
10-18-2002, 03:22 PM
I just bought a 48" Toro WB belt drive for $2395. Yours also seems like a decent deal for a homeowner machine - I think most of these are way overkill for the hours we'll actually put on them -- heck, I bet we get more damage from rust before things actually wear out!

Buckeye1
10-18-2002, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the reply fprintf

My main concerns are...
1) does the cut look the same as a scag or exmark?
where will i see the difference?
2) Is the 16 hp enough for the 52"?
3) Is the Vanguard a reliable motor?

edward hedrick
10-18-2002, 08:42 PM
I own a 52 Lesco same machine. I bought it new from Lesco 1996. It is powered by a 14 hp Kawi. 16 vanguard plenty.

I had a 17 Kawi on the lesco but it was too heavy. 14 Kawi

great. comparison with others its equal to other fixed deck machines. The Lesco has a thicker my 52 Toro.

New lesco $3000 w 17 kawi.

KLMlawn
10-18-2002, 09:00 PM
If it is a choice of a MTD/Lesco vs. a Toro ... I would actually say that I would buy the Lesco before ever giving a thought to the Toro.
But if you want better resale value in the event you ever get tired of mowing yourself, go with the Scag or Exmark, one of us will buy it ...:D

Dan1944
10-18-2002, 09:34 PM
I just bought a 36" Gravely WB Pro G for 2050.00 with 13 Kawi V twin. It is a commercial model. and it is built like a tank and should outlast a home owner. I will use it commercially only on a few accounts. Check out there web site, they list the msrp's on all there machines, this time of the year many dealer's will discount. If you can get a commercial machine for almost the same price as a homeowner model, it seems like a no brainer. I used it today for the first time, very good cut with the mulching kit.

Dan the lawn care man