PDA

View Full Version : Diamond Blades

Gr8WhiteNorth
06-24-2011, 03:23 PM
So its time to order more blades and I don't want to end up with crap again.

Any ideas on brands?

Is there a standard of quality for diamond blade ratings?

Prices for 14" blades range from $45 to $650

We purchased 24 T-seg's @ $165 each last time because they were throwing in a free saw. These blades had a wicked wobble and I could ware one out in a week of use.

thx

rlitman
06-24-2011, 03:49 PM
I think people will need to know what you are cutting, before making a good suggestion on a blade. A blade designed to wear well in asphalt will get trashed in granite, and vice versa. They're not all created equal (except for maybe the cheap ones that are good at nothing).

DVS Hardscaper
06-24-2011, 04:01 PM
For cutting pavers and block I used to buy the $225 blades.

For the last 18 months I've been buying $85 blades. And really, I see little difference.

As far as a blade wobbeling - you sure it was installed correctly?

Gr8WhiteNorth
06-24-2011, 04:04 PM
cutting precast concrete pavers and wall block only

Gr8WhiteNorth
06-24-2011, 04:06 PM
DVS, where are you puchasing the $85 blades and what brand are they?

DVS Hardscaper
06-24-2011, 04:11 PM
i buy them from a local suplier.

i stihl have the plastic cover to a blade, i'll have-ta get it and tell you what it says.

I think it was packaged in PA

zedosix
06-24-2011, 05:16 PM
We purchased 24 T-seg's @ $165 each last time because they were throwing in a free saw. These blades had a wicked wobble and I could ware one out in a week of use.

thx

This is because they are not intended for high speed of a table saw. There are two different speeds, one for quick cut and one for table saw. The talbe saw should turn at 4500rpm. Blades are good but just not for that useage.

Gr8WhiteNorth
06-26-2011, 01:16 PM
We use quick cuts only
Posted via Mobile Device

DVS Hardscaper
06-26-2011, 04:15 PM
Not sure what a quick cut or a long cut is.

Seems to me a 2 3/8" Paver is a 2 3/8" Paver!

As I stated we went from $225 blades to $85 blades.

The tag on the blades says:
Craftsmen's Company
Broomall PA

The more expensive blades may last a little longer, but youroney will still go farther per linear foot with (2) $85 blades. As opposed to (1) $200 blade.

Posted via Mobile Device

Bru75
06-26-2011, 06:57 PM
I use these: http://www.contractorsdirect.com/Concrete-Tools/General-Purpose/Husqvarna-VH5-Concrete-Diamond-Blade , and have had no problems.

SVA_Concrete
06-26-2011, 08:12 PM
Similar to DVS i use an 85 dollar blade I pick up at my local shop, where i buy float pans and trowel blades.

no worries on the blades... if the guys cut a few sticks of rebar or asphalt for a driveway apron, or green concrete.... no biggie.

when we are running a floor saw, i will spend the bigger bucks getting a blade suited for the HP and floor conditions.

Gr8WhiteNorth
06-27-2011, 05:30 PM
Quick cuts = gas powered chop saw/concrete saw

rlitman
06-28-2011, 03:22 PM
no worries on the blades... if the guys cut a few sticks of rebar or asphalt for a driveway apron, or green concrete.... no biggie.

And that's a really good point. Maybe in a stone yard where everything that passes through the machine is controlled, or when a job requires only cutting slots in asphalt for miles, a more specialized blade can pay off in $$/foot.
If you don't always know what you'll be cutting, maybe the cheap generic diamond blades are the best choice.

latux87
12-27-2012, 04:29 PM
Not too revive a dead thread for no reason, but there happens to be a big diff between blades for North of the border, and here in mainland US.

For the most part, in Canada, they tend to have a much harder aggregate, and need a softer bonded blade. Also, due to shipping costs, taxes, and tariffs, you end up paying $30-50 more per blade anyway. There are very few economical blades that actually work in Canada.

As far as here, there are GP blades for everything, and then there are Hardscape GP blades that are good for Pavers, concrete, and Stone. Make sure you're getting the right kind of GP blade....