PDA

View Full Version : My Exmark experiences- not good

iski3d
10-18-2002, 04:15 PM
Hey guys. I have run Ferris walk behinds. AT th eend of last year I bought a 60" Lazer, 27 hp liquid cooled kawi, ultravac, pretty expensive. Well so far ive had belt pulleys snap, hydraulic lines blow, new seal kit in one hydro, and right now it is in for a complete new hydro (the other one.) Well the mower only has 340 hrs and maybe this isnt a lot of problems considering how hard they get worked but just my experience. Im bummed because of all the work I miss with it in the shop.:dizzy:

Esby
10-18-2002, 05:50 PM
Sorry to hear about the problems with your Exmark. I got a new Lazer HP 52" at the very end of 2001 and at 500hrs its still problem free.

Green Pastures
10-18-2002, 05:58 PM
Just goes to show, anybody can get a lemon now and then even for the "better" manufacturers out there.

I have two Toro w/b's both with Kohler 15hp's on them. I was really surprised to hear the difference in the two motors running at the same time. They both run good, but the sound is completely different. Same year, same muffler, same gas, same oil and only about 30 hours different in time on each. Two totally different droning sounds as they're running. :rolleyes:

Scott

Scotlawncare
10-18-2002, 06:19 PM
you have to remember that ALL equipment is man made and will have differant characteristics. Any manufact can have a problem machine. Parts produced by cheap labor and some with lower quality components. ALL manufactures do this or the companies that supply them there individual parts. what will set a manufacturer apart is there warranty and support that a dealer and manufacturer will give. I have yet to have to wait a long time for parts for my exmark. remember Exmark is a sponsor on this site. If need be they post there 800 number alot for support. THEY WILL BE HELPFULL if needed. Exmark will NOT leave you hanging.

Scot

LAWNGODFATHER
10-18-2002, 06:26 PM
I agree with Scot completely on his post.

SLS
10-18-2002, 07:42 PM
Wow! All that at 340 hours??? I hate to hear it...but I think your machine is the 'exception' rather than the 'rule'.

I bought a 2001 Lazer Z 60" w/23 hp Kawi (air cooled) and just hit 875 hours. I've replaced the mule drive belt already...but thats all. It still functions as well as the day I bought it...actually better, since I tweaked the deck adjustment after I got it home. :)

Between Exmarks excellent warrenty, and hopefully a competent dealer, you'll get it straightened out quickly!

dr grass
10-18-2002, 07:51 PM
sorry about your luck iski. sounds like your mower was an "after lunch" job! the guys that built it may have toked a few or maybe hit the bar for lunch that day! lol. gotta try to find humor in every situation. good luck in the future with her.

shep :(

Scag48
10-18-2002, 08:00 PM
Wow, that is really a bum deal. Sometimes you just get a lemon. For the most part, Exmark is one of the top brands and usually are trouble free. Sorry to hear about your predicament.

TLS
10-18-2002, 08:35 PM
Iski3d,

Sorry to hear about your problems. Surely, you can tell that yours is certainly the exception. I have the exact same unit, and aside from improper rear tires, and a loose throttle lever, it hasn't been back to the shop once. I do have leaky radiator hoses, and from what I hear, I'm not alone on this. Check your hoses and let me know if their leaky. Exmark has a pretty trouble free hydro system, but as others have said, you get a bad one every now and then.

Columbia Turf
10-18-2002, 11:28 PM
WOW,Sounds like you do have the exception rather than the rule!!! I have the same machine, 2002 27HP 60" and since April, it has logged around 600 hours with no major problems. Also have the same unit with a 72 inch deck and it has logged around500 hours. Both of these machines have been pretty much trouble free. It seems our problems have all been operator induced. I have noticed on the 60" machine, the pumps sound like they "strain" more. It sounds like a high pitched whine when the levers are engaged.

TLS, The throttle problem is an easy fix. There is a jamb nut on the lever that needs to be tightened. If memory serves correctly, it takes a 7/16 boxed end wrench. You have to access it with the seat up. we had the same problem. Kind of annoying!!

TLS
10-18-2002, 11:39 PM
Columbia,

The throttle lever was fixed when I brought my mower back to the dealers "Fall Demo Days" It only had about 20 hrs on it, so I had the mechanic fix it in the lot. Its a tight fit if you have big hands. A bungee cord got me thru those few days.

How are your radiator hoses?

How do you feel the 27 does with the 72" deck?

Columbia Turf
10-19-2002, 12:02 AM
LMAO at the "bighands"!!

I noticed the radiator hose thing about the time it became a big issue on Lawnsite. Its not like they ""RUN"" it seems like they are just damp! I cant remember if both machinesare doing it or not. The crew leader that has them on his trailer keeps a pretty close eye on them.

I think the 27 does fine with the big deck. You can definatly tell the difference between the two, but my opinion it does well. I use the 72 to cut my own grass, you know the stuff gets cut 2X's a month if I'm lucky, and it will go through it full stick andgive a good cut. I ran a 31hp gasser XP at our fall demodays! Next time I buy a lazer, I am not sure it is worth the extra or not because the 27 does so well!

LAWNGODFATHER
10-19-2002, 04:02 PM
My throttle levers came loose also, I found it much easier to remove the front pannel to tighten it.

iski3d
10-19-2002, 07:32 PM
Yes my throttle needed to be tightened also. I am not downing Exmark the machine is awesome im just letting you guys know of my experience with it. I still love it! Exmark has seemed good there warranty was only one year, two on the pumps which is less than Ferris but luckily for me the pumps have been under warranty! My dealer has set me up with a loaner which is nice but there service is somewhat lacking. They feel awful though about all the probs it has given me. I know this could happen with any machine I was just venting a lil after a tuff few weeks!

Flex-Deck
10-19-2002, 07:33 PM
I have 5.8 hrs on my 36" eXmark Viking WB with the Flex-Deck, and it is still running great - Seems like a very very solid machine.http://36X

LAWNGODFATHER
10-19-2002, 08:20 PM
If you had something else we would have told you to get Exmark, but since you already have one, we are all behind you in every way, so is Exmark.

BTW that is me in the pic above.

Been one week of quitting smoking too. Good thing for sunflowerseeds.

65hoss
10-19-2002, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by LAWNGODFATHER

What brand of sunflower seeds? I'll buy stock.;)

LAWNGODFATHER
10-19-2002, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by 65hoss

Lays and Planters.;)

TurfGuyTX
10-19-2002, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by LAWNGODFATHER

BTW that is me in the pic above.

Congrats on quitting. Good luck.

MikeLT1Z28
10-20-2002, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by 65hoss

plnaters here! been since mid august when i got really sick and quit.

Westbrooklawn
10-20-2002, 08:36 PM
LGF -

Congratulations on quitting. I don't know you other than from your posts on this site, but when I first saw that picture of you posted right after the barbecue, my first thought was that it looked like the cigarets had you hooked.

Keep it up......you will feel better, be healthier, and have better stamina which is critical to this business....especially as you get older.......

SIG
10-21-2002, 11:39 AM
I think I'll be able to quit as soon as I quit my "real" job and go into this Full-Time! Come On Spring!!!!!!!!!:blob2: :blob1: :blob4: :sleeping:

Bill Davis
10-21-2002, 12:10 PM
sorry about all the problems with the exmark. i have nothing but good luck out of my HP. and congrats on kicking the habit.

Gravely_Man
10-21-2002, 01:35 PM
I am sorry to hear about your misfortune. If the dealer is not being helpful then contact the manufacture and see what they have to say. Let us know how it turns out.

Gravely_Man