PDA

View Full Version : Muddy Area proposed driveway question

ccas
06-26-2011, 09:58 AM
I have an area about 30 yards long on my property that used to be an old logging road. It's extremely muddy. In the spring I get a bit of standing water and the area is pretty muddy. I would guess its about 6-12 inches deep of mud. In the fall the area is pretty dry.

I have been working on this area for awhile now. I want to use it as a place to park my boat. I have dug a trench about 2 feet wide and 18" deep running parallel down the middle with one trench going off into a large hole (Not large enough) and filled it with 3/4 inch stone. This helped a little, but I dont really have a big enough area for the water to drain This is the lowest point of my property. I am thinking the only way to get rid of the mud/standing water/mosquitoes is to build the area up. I was planning on digging a couple more trenches crossways across the area. Filling those with gravel and bringing in some larger stone. Packing that down tight and making a sort of driveway.

My question... How do I do this? This does connect to the road. Im sure I would need some sort of culvert in the ditch. What type of equipment should I rent to spread the stone? Is there some type of equipment I can rent that would spread and pack the stone all in one? Im also planning on using a mixed gravel to help pack it in. Eventually, Im planning on covering it with topsoil and planting grass.

Any help/suggestions would be wonderful.

DVS Hardscaper
06-26-2011, 03:37 PM
if its the lowest point on the property and you have no where lower to drain the water to, then it sounds like you may need to install a drywell.

You'll need to use 4-inch perforated drain tubing, wrapped in cloth to drain the water into the drywell.

One product that I like is: www.lun-drain.com

ccas
06-26-2011, 05:14 PM
I have dug a large hole. Its about 3-4 feet deep and about 1 square yard. This filled rather quickly. I had thought about digging a trench to the road and letting the large hole drain off into the ditch. The problem is that the road is a bit higher (maybe) than the large hole and there are plenty of rocks and trees in the way. I had thought of renting a ditchwitch. Do I just need to dig the hole deeper? Or should I just fill the area I want to park on with gravel?

SVA_Concrete
06-26-2011, 09:15 PM
you would probably be fine if you filled that parking area with about 6 inches of #3 stone -- approx 2 inches in size and then dressed the top with 57 stone.

DVS Hardscaper
06-26-2011, 09:18 PM
Any pics? I hate trying to visualize :)

Do you have a high water table ?

Posted via Mobile Device

SDLandscapes VT
06-26-2011, 09:48 PM
gonna need some fabric too....solved a problem like this last week at my new shop...mud hole mess now gravel roadway

ccas
06-27-2011, 08:18 PM
Here are a few pics/ As you can see there is a bit of standing water. I think I underestimated the length though. It's gotta be longer than 30 yards. Im also thinking the water that doesn't collect on the leach field is running directly into this area. It's directly below where they built the leach field up.

224554 224555 224556 This is the hole I dug.

2brothersyardcare
06-27-2011, 08:49 PM
pave it over and its done with

DVS Hardscaper
06-27-2011, 09:21 PM
pave it over and its done with

Lord, I hope you're joking and being funny!

To pave it would require all the same prep work as just graveling it.......

But iot does look like a nice spot for me to run my Jeep through!!!!

ccas
06-28-2011, 07:39 AM
Its not that muddy! I can drive my subaru through it while pulling a boat. Hence the tire ruts.

I was hoping to just build it up with gravel and put down some grass. Is this something I can do on my own or should I pay? I paid 7K for my driveway to be paved. Its twice as big. I was thinking this would be about 1,500 not being paved. Or even less if I do it.

Im going to have someone place a bid in a few weeks. I can also pick their brain.

DVS Hardscaper
06-28-2011, 09:58 AM
Its not that muddy! I can drive my subaru through it while pulling a boat. Hence the tire ruts.

I was hoping to just build it up with gravel and put down some grass. Is this something I can do on my own or should I pay? I paid 7K for my driveway to be paved. Its twice as big. I was thinking this would be about 1,500 not being paved. Or even less if I do it.

Im going to have someone place a bid in a few weeks. I can also pick their brain.

You need drain pipe wrapped in fabric, encased in 3/4" gravel. You need to route the pipe away from the area you want you use. Will need multiple pipe. From there you'll need to make a raised road bed for your driveway/parking pad so that the water will sheet away. So in other words you're goin ta have ta build it up. And you need a pipe system under it to take the water away, you don't want water collecting under it.

Water is easy, always remember: IT FLOWS DOWNHILL.
Posted via Mobile Device