PDA

View Full Version : Glyphosate article,

fl-landscapes
06-26-2011, 06:36 PM
our industry is in deep trouble with the constant pounding we get in the media

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/24/roundup-scientists-birth-defects_n_883578.html?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl2%7Csec1_lnk2%7C73263

no surprise it is in the huffington post

fireman gus
06-26-2011, 07:41 PM
I have had several discussions with people concerning the hazards of chemicals. I am a hazardous material tech with the fire department and do weed control spraying on my days off. I just try to explain that if the chemicals are used according to the label they are safe. But I stress that it is important to have someone with training applying them.

NattyLawn
06-26-2011, 08:11 PM
The article has more to do with agriculture than lawn care. Don Huber, a professor at Purdue and is mentioned in the article, has done very extensive research on RoundUp and it's mode of action and effect on animals. He's finding that RU actually weakens the immune system of the plant and what actually kills the plants is disease caused by the weakening of the immune system. Makes sense when you watch RU kill on certain plants. Also, they're seeing odd diseases show up in non RU ready crops that follow the RU ready crops in crop rotations. So much for the no residual theory of RU. There also seeing spontaneous abortions in livestock, and they're tying that into feed that is RU ready GMO sourced.

I don't mind using RoundUp on lawns, but I really don't like it sprayed on my food. With the whole Imprelis fiasco, a lot more of this stuff may be going mainstream.

phasthound
06-26-2011, 08:24 PM
There is a great deal of data on glyphosate that industry denies and blames on the "liberal press". All I can say is that is important for all of us to stop believing in what the media (both sides) tells us and find our own sources of information. Read them without preconceptions and make up our own minds.
But beware: Content could pollute your mind and dilute your reality.

dKoester
06-27-2011, 01:20 AM
And that is true!