PDA

View Full Version : Loading a ZTR on Trailer... Which way?

Doogiegh
10-18-2002, 11:22 PM
Ok guys, do you drive forwards onto your trailers and back off, or back on and drive off?

I just picked up that Woods 1250 ZTR, used for $250.. Best money I think I may of ever ever ever spent, so far. <G>

The tires don't have enough traction to get up my trailer ramp going forward.

Backing up the ramp... good god, I think the mower is gonna flip over heels over head.. I was able to get the mower on my trailer with a guy behind me, pushing.. But now I was going to load the mower to take it out, and I felt like I was nearly going to flip. The whole third (rear) wheel was way up in the air, I felt weird and suddenly WHAM, the whole thing came slamming down on the trailer deck.. Thank goodness I made it. And as a virgin ZTR driver, it could of been ugly.

I know I have to make my trailer ramp/gate longer..

But I'm still concerned as to how you load your trailer, especially with a front mount ztr like a Woods..
Thanks,
Gary

Brickman
10-18-2002, 11:31 PM
LOL on the 3rd tire in the air and then slamming down. Been there done that with a Walker. Wait until you do the forward backward forward backward in high speed a few times. Today will not feel like the virgin run. You will mess your pants, almost, and people looking on will laugh.

At first I drove my Walkers on forward. After time there was a little spring loaded flap that the springs got busted from the wind. When I replaced them then I always backed on so the wind didn't wreck the springs again.

Doogiegh
10-18-2002, 11:49 PM
Like I said, the guy who I bought the mower from helped me load it on cause it was my first.... 5 minutes EVER on a ztr.. And putting it on backwards, looking behind myself.. hell it's hard enough to steer a trailer the right way in a truck, much less use 2 chop-sticks to back a mower up a STEEP ramp for the very first time.. So anyway, getting home was fine.. Getting it off was WHEEE like a roller coaster... <G>

But getting it back on the trailer, solo, is a little rough.. I know my tires are shot for traction, but I can't get it to a dealer cause I can't get it on the trailer. I did read to LOWER the pressure as a general rule for more traction.. How low can one go? The max inflate on the grasshopper 18*8.5-8's that are on there now I believe is 12 PSI and they are at 12 psi...

And my wife is out right now.. I really though the whole friggin thing was gonna flip "Heels over head", not head over heels... <G>

Gary

Brickman
10-19-2002, 12:13 AM
Maybe a full throttle run at it. :D

Tire pressure should be good under 20. That is what I ran my Walkers at.

captdevo
10-19-2002, 12:29 PM
put a block on your trailer gate, or extend it to ease the slope and reduce the angle.

then drive on, back off.

Dennis E.
10-19-2002, 05:11 PM
Back on,drive off. With most of the weight being over the center of the tandems on the trailer.(For both mowers)
The WB is drive on,back off.
Just my .02
:D

awm
10-19-2002, 05:23 PM
u might consider putting a hitch that will raise the front of the trailer 6 inches or so. an added benefit from this is, it can make the truck brake better . good luck.

mowngrow
10-19-2002, 06:36 PM
how long is your tailgate? mine is four feet. once you do it a few times it will come natural, just list driving a car. when i frist got my walker it took me a little longer to back mine on. try what cpt. devo said w/ the wood block

Flex-Deck
10-19-2002, 06:48 PM
I have an over center trailer that tips then when you drive on it tips down when you get over the center point - you should have seen me trying to load an old clutch dixon ZTR one time - I had the front castors off both sides and back and forth about five times in 3 seconds. The guy that owns the mower and myself both had to clean our underwear. - I am a tractor (steering wheel) driver myself and that was my first experience with two handles - It will get better, just experiment with what works for you.

Thanks, Brad

65hoss
10-19-2002, 08:26 PM
I try to keep the majority of the weight close to the axles. Depending on what all is on the trailers I will sometimes back on, but mostly I pull forward on the trailers.

Time for some new tires.

greenman
10-19-2002, 08:34 PM
I have seen most people around here put their Z's on forward and their Walkers on Backward (including MownGrow):confused:

LawnPro in NC
10-19-2002, 09:38 PM
The woods I drive on back off, the walker I back on drive off. Well I stand on the walker deck and push the handles froward and it's almost like driving it on but it's going backward. Works well after you get the hang on it.

Hoosier Mower
10-19-2002, 10:45 PM
I back my two Choppers on and drive them off.

Green Pastures
10-19-2002, 11:45 PM
I have an enclosed trailer, and it has a fairly long ramp. I drive my Z-Master on and back it off. The w/b's and the Walker I back on drive off.

Scott

Brickman
10-20-2002, 05:07 AM
Originally posted by Flex-Deck
I have an over center trailer that tips then when you drive on it tips down when you get over the center point - you should have seen me trying to load an old clutch dixon ZTR one time - I had the front castors off both sides and back and forth about five times in 3 seconds. The guy that owns the mower and myself both had to clean our underwear. - I am a tractor (steering wheel) driver myself and that was my first experience with two handles - It will get better, just experiment with what works for you.

Thanks, Brad

ROFLMAO

Tony Harrell
10-20-2002, 05:50 AM
I bought a trailer this past spring and the first time I tried to drive a mower up either the side or rear ramps the tires just slipped. Turns out the numbnuts that built it, turned the expanded metal the wrong way. I couldn't even walk up it.

ProMo
10-20-2002, 09:03 AM
ive always backed on. On my old open trailer I had to weld raised mesh on the gate for traction it would spin on the gate if it rained. Once you get used to it you wont have a problem,a freind of mine launches his old wheel horse onto his trailer full speed up the gate he catches a little air and drives right over a 3 ft pile of debri on the front of trailer funniest thing I have ever watched. When I had my old scag ztr it was about a week old the fuel pump went out and i had to take a squirt bottle of fuel and squirt it in the carb while backing up the trailer.

walker-talker
10-20-2002, 01:15 PM
I own a Walker and I back on and drive forward off. It might be possible, with the Walker, that the wind might catch the hopper and blow it over.....not sure. I have hit low branches and knocked the hopper over.

Lawn Pro, why would you want to stand on the deck and steer that way???

MATT

captdevo
10-20-2002, 01:31 PM
Matt,

i do the same as LawnPro with Walkers as well...stand on deck and back it on the trailer...

i never had a hopper door lift open while trailering with a Walker backed on, if facing forward, the vent flap will hinge back...no biggie..

the Woods are alot different than the Walkers, they don't have the weight distribution the Walkers have, that's why i drive them on.

btw Matt....i'll try to getmore details on the accelarator on the 52" SD deck.

i saw it, he only cut the bagger opening a little and moved the hang tab back.

i may fool with one i have and adapt it.

Brickman
10-20-2002, 01:36 PM
The question is why stand on the deck when you back it on????

I would occasionaly, but not as a habit, would ride it on the same as riding it off.

captdevo
10-20-2002, 01:40 PM
easier to see what you're doing.....especially if you have limited space.

and easy on / off.....

Doogiegh
10-21-2002, 12:36 AM
Seems like the Woods.Grasshopper people drive on back off.

Many others do the reverse.. I myself would rather drive on and back off as well.. Just seems like you could see where you were going better. and to back off, since you'll be doing in the direction of gravity, seems like not too much bad could happen.

My idea is to build a ramp using a sheet of plywood, probably 4 foot wide, 6 feet long, stack up a bunch of 2 by 4's on one end, making a ramp.. (just like I did as a kid when bmx'ing on bicycles)..

Put that wooden ramp on the ground, then lower the trailer ramp on top of that. I'd have a ramp leading to a ramp. It would greatly reduce my angle of climbing, which would be alot safer and I'd feel alot better with overall.

Here's a pic of the angle of my trailer ramp, I know guys on here saide that it looked very steep before to begin with:

Anyone have any other ideas?
Thanks.

ProMo
10-21-2002, 07:11 AM
my open trailer used to be that steep it had a block of steel between the axle and springs. my welding freind cut that block in half wich lowered the trailer quite a bit

walker-talker
10-21-2002, 09:10 AM
Oh yea, I remember seeing your trailer pic on another thread and wondering "how on earth does this guy load his equipment with that kind of pitch, an eight foot ramp gate???"

You could build another ramp that would hinge to this existing gate. I don't think that you would have to double the size, but maybe add just a couple of feet. You might have to upgrade your gate assist spring to handle the extra weight. I had the similar problem (not quite to this degree) and just turned my reciever around. It helped, but now the front on my trailer is visible jacked up and looks a little goofy. It's still a little tough getting my overseeder loaded. I just have to give a little push, then I am ok.

When I back my Walker on with the GHS deck attached, the front casters come completely off the ramp. I am not sure if this might put too much stress at the point where the deck attatches to the unit? What do you think Dave?

To those that back your Walker on by standing on the deck, is that just an accident just waiting to happen? I would hate to slip off the deck to see the mower rolling down the ramp at me...ouch!

MATT

yardman1
10-21-2002, 09:30 AM
man, that trailer is high off the ground!!!!!!!The only way that I see to do it is to build a longer ramp about 12 feet long or buy you another trailer that is lower to the ground. The wood idea that you have may work, but that sure is a alot of work. But that is my .02 cents worth. Oh yea post a pic of your new mower:D