PDA

View Full Version : Hydro Filter/Oil Filter

Wesley's Lawn
10-19-2002, 12:05 AM
Hi guys i was wondering if any of you know if when u replace a hydro filter id u could find the same kinda thread size oil filter to use instead of paying three times as much for a hydro filter. I wondering if like they are same as far as microns and catching particles in the fluid. If it would work i think it would be cheaper to buy then a filter from the dealer and just go get a oil filter from like Walmart or Fleet Farm. Thanks guys.

Wesley's Lawn

Columbia Turf
10-19-2002, 12:20 AM
Just my opinion, but I think spending a couple extra bucks once a year for a OEM hydro filter will keep a person from complaining about a failed hydro pump or other problems that could happen. t would probably also void any warranty.

I think good oil, oil filters and air filters are cheap compaired replacing engines or hydro pumps.

Wesley's Lawn
10-19-2002, 12:27 AM
Yea I agree I was just trying to think of ways to save some money.

gravedigger5
10-19-2002, 12:28 AM
:nono: I've read where a hydro filter is made different from regular automotive filters and is under more pressure. I agree with Columbia Turf, couple of bucks extra for piece of mind. If you don't run OEM, make sure it is an exact equivilent. My .02 cents worth Marc

SLS
10-19-2002, 01:55 AM
Although they look the same on the outside, an oil filter and a hydro filter are different on the inside.

This is because they flow opposite of each other.

An oil filter has oil "pushing" through it while hydro fluid is "pulled" through it.

Also the media in a hydro filter is designed to filter particals about TWICE as small as typical oil filters.

Don't make the EXPENSIVE mistake of installing an oil filter on a hydro system.

BRL
10-19-2002, 09:39 PM
Ditto SLS!

How does destroying an engine or hydro system save money?

Albemarle Lawn
10-19-2002, 10:26 PM
Most hydro filters have synthetic media.

Check out www.zinga.com

Zinga makes the hydro filers used on my Gravely ZTR.

They are about $25.00

Maybe if you had to ORDER a hydro filter, in a pinch you could use an engine oil filter for a few days to stay in business, but that's about it.

Wheel motor $400 each

Hydro pump $850 each

USE ONLY THE CORRECT FILTER!!!

BOTURF
10-19-2002, 10:30 PM
Speaking of hydro filters , is there a trick when changing hydro fluid and filters of keeping air out of the system. I always let my dealer change hydro fluid but will be doing it myself this year to save some bucks . I heard from someone that its very easy to get air into system but they didnt say how to get it out . Thanks for everyones help in advance , this site has so many helpful hints and ideas that are crucial to our wallets