PDA

View Full Version : Weed control on a lake's bank?

andyslawncare
06-27-2011, 06:58 PM
What is the best and legal method to control weeds along the bank of a lake?

Which products work best?

Ric
06-27-2011, 07:04 PM
What is the best and legal method to control weeds along the bank of a lake?

Which products work best?

Andy

Your Study Guide for your Aquatic License Test should have all that information.

phasthound
06-27-2011, 07:56 PM
I suggest you don't use Imprelis.

pieperlc
06-27-2011, 08:01 PM
Spruces don't grow well in water anyway. (Now picture one of those smiley things laughing)

Hey, I've been hit with the imprelis/spruce bug and I can finally laugh about it.

Posted via Mobile Device

rcreech
06-27-2011, 10:02 PM
Aqua Neat
Posted via Mobile Device

Blazerfb
07-03-2011, 03:40 PM
I second Aquaneat. Great stuff
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
07-03-2011, 04:39 PM
I second Aquaneat. Great stuff
Posted via Mobile Device

I hope you all know Aquaneat is nothing more than Glyphosate without a surfactant. It is very much like Monsanto's "Aquamaster" Formally Know as "Rodeo" The big difference is Nufarm out sources their chemical production so Aquaneat is actually made in China.

There are several Aquatic Glyphosate on the market and most are in fact made by Monsanto and sold under generic names. Aqua Star is the Generic I use but there are many others. For best performance, Use 0.25% or great MSO surfactant. On hard to control ponds or first time applications I recommend 4 oz of glyphosate per gallon. Cattails may require multiply application over a period of time in order to control them.

Smallaxe
07-04-2011, 07:23 AM
Isn't the question about spraying weeds on the lawn, that is the 'bank' of the lake?

The Wisco liscencing handbook never discusses the issue, so the typical broadleaf should be useable right to the water's edge...

Ric
07-04-2011, 09:51 AM
Isn't the question about spraying weeds on the lawn, that is the 'bank' of the lake?

The Wisco liscencing handbook never discusses the issue, so the typical broadleaf should be useable right to the water's edge...

Smallaxe

You haven't read or understood the Roundup/glyphosate label. Because of the surfactant in Glyphosate, it is not labelled for any drainage areas. Therefore not for use on the bank of a Lake unless it is Aquatic labelled which mean it doesn't have the normal surfactant.

IN EDIT WEEDAR 64 is labelled for aquatic weed control. It is 2,4-D or a broad leaf control.

Blazerfb
07-04-2011, 09:53 AM
Runoff dude, whatever you use there it will leach right into the lake.
Posted via Mobile Device

andyslawncare
07-04-2011, 10:46 AM
I am talking about controlling the weeds in the lawn that slopes into the lake. I would assume I need to use something labeled for aquatic use. Does my category 24 license allow me to do this, or do I need to test in another category?

My situation is that a HOA has a lake and wants to have controlled bermuda along the lake.

Blazerfb
07-04-2011, 11:04 AM
Well don't use aquaneat on the turf!
Posted via Mobile Device

PR Fect
07-04-2011, 12:32 PM
So we are right back to Andys original question. What herbicide do you use on tur,f to remove broadleafs, knowing you are next to surface water, and their will be runoff?

dgw
07-04-2011, 12:37 PM
So we are right back to Andys original question. What herbicide do you use on tur,f to remove broadleafs, knowing you are next to surface water, and their will be runoff?

none, all the properties i treat with lakes have about a ten foot strip of weeds next to the lake

not worth it , and you have to get the customers to understand that

if they dont , give them a price to cut the grass out, and put stone there

Ric
07-04-2011, 12:47 PM

PR Fect

Bermuda is fair tolerant of Herbicides and Weedar 64 (2,4-D) is aquatic labelled. Cut the rate from 1.5 Oz to 0.75 or even 0.50 Oz per thousand to account for the heat. BTW use MSO and expect a little tip burn from the MSO not the Weedar 64. First cutting should clean up any tip burn.

Customers must understand you have to sometimes make their turf look worst before it can look better.

944own
07-04-2011, 02:43 PM
Andy

Your Study Guide for your Aquatic License Test should have all that information.

What a dick answer

Ric
07-04-2011, 04:03 PM
What a dick answer

When the Tree hugger get all your pesticides ban, Maybe you will wish there had a stiffer laws about Pesticide education.

Yes My reply to the OP was arrogant and I am proud that it was. Maybe it drove home a point.

greendoctor
07-04-2011, 05:58 PM
PR Fect

Bermuda is fair tolerant of Herbicides and Weedar 64 (2,4-D) is aquatic labelled. Cut the rate from 1.5 Oz to 0.75 or even 0.50 Oz per thousand to account for the heat. BTW use MSO and expect a little tip burn from the MSO not the Weedar 64. First cutting should clean up any tip burn.

Customers must understand you have to sometimes make their turf look worst before it can look better.

When people give me lawns that are otherwise RoundUp and re sod, that is my warning to them. I am one worse. Because dried out, starved weeds are even harder to kill. I tune the irrigation system then fertilize once and twice before even spraying for weeds. Talk about making things worse. n.

Ric
07-04-2011, 06:13 PM
When people give me lawns that are otherwise RoundUp and re sod, that is my warning to them. I am one worse. Because dried out, starved weeds are even harder to kill. I tune the irrigation system then fertilize once and twice before even spraying for weeds. Talk about making things worse. n.

Green

Spray a lawn with insects or fungus and it gets worse before it gets better. There is always some recent damage that has not expressed itself yet. I always try and educate my customers as to what to expect and when to expect it. If I think it will show a response in one week I tell the customer two weeks. But then customer always expect a favorable response to happen overnight.

greendoctor
07-04-2011, 06:16 PM
The impatient can shop elsewhere. I too, educate my clients thoroughly. Which is far different from the usual burn holes in the lawn with MSMA or Three Way method commonly used here. People thoroughly understand that it takes me 2-3 months to fix a lawn that has been in disrepair for over a year.

Ric
07-05-2011, 08:36 AM
The impatient can shop elsewhere. I too, educate my clients thoroughly. Which is far different from the usual burn holes in the lawn with MSMA or Three Way method commonly used here. People thoroughly understand that it takes me 2-3 months to fix a lawn that has been in disrepair for over a year.

Green

I believe we are on the same page in the fact the QUALITY of our work and customers is more important than the QUANTITY of Customers.

propositionjoe
07-05-2011, 10:07 AM
Use Aquasweep for broadleaf control in the grass -- it's a combination of 2,4-D and triclopyr with an aquatic label.