PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Old Tank

White Gardens
06-28-2011, 09:41 AM
Picked up an old pull behind sprayer for free the other day. It has a BS engine on it and a pump.

Not sure how much I can actually salvage off of it, but what I really wanted was the 25 gallon tank on it either for a spray rig, or nurse tank in the truck.

The tank is pretty dingy though. I need to try and clean it to see if it's salvageable.

So, after searching the forum I really got nothing. What I was wanting to know is what is the best method to getting the tank clean again, or relatively clean. It looks pretty dark when you look at the tank.

I'm thinking a toilet brush and long arm gloves to minimize any contact with the residue. But what solution would you use to help break the crud down.

Thanks.

greendoctor
06-28-2011, 04:26 PM
I use a solution called All-Clear. This dissolves and degrades many chemical residues in spray equipment. 2 oz per gallon and let it sit in that cruddy tank for 2-3 days.

RigglePLC
06-28-2011, 05:41 PM
Lesco used to offer a tank cleaner.Supposed to help degrade the residue. As long as you are going to use it for herbicide anyway a few good soap and water rinses would probably work. A quart of amonia, and an overnight soaking might help. It is probably a good idea to test it by filling with water when you are done. Spray some weeds and some sensitive plants--like tomato, grapevines, redbud, box elder and dandelions.

White Gardens
06-29-2011, 12:54 AM
Thanks guys.

I think I'll go with Riggle's idea first. At that point if it doesn't work, then I'll look into some other cleaners.

Here's some pics of the rig. Not pretty. I might end up trying to salvage any of the plumbing peices and gauges if I can, but I'm guessing they are probably gunked up too.

I don't even know if the pump is worth salvaging. I don't want to use the BS motor as it will add weight. If I save the pump, I might try to modify it to a machine where I can do a PTO drive to run the pump, but, it might be more worth it to use an electric pump.

Broyhill is the name on the tank. Not even sure how old the system is. There is also a wand with it with the old style turn handle to control flow. I haven't seen one of those wands since my early days on the farm.

greendoctor
06-29-2011, 04:18 AM
EWWWWWWW! Gross tank. The tank is probably in that condition because of the insecticides and fungicides that were run through it then not washed out after use. That Broyhill sprayer is what used to be sold to gardeners maintaining estates with lots of trees and shrubs. The twist gun would be familiar to anyone spraying apple or citrus trees before air assisted sprayers became common or for the farmyard apple orchard.

Ric
06-29-2011, 09:15 AM
White

You might want to wear your Hazmat suit when trying to clean up that unit. a good oxidizer like ammonia should help neutralize any chemical residue. I would soak the tank for several days. And follow Riggle advice on testing. But Don't expect the tank to come brand new clean by any means. It is stained and the only way to cure that would be paint it.

White Gardens
06-29-2011, 11:13 AM
White

You might want to wear your Hazmat suit when trying to clean up that unit. a good oxidizer like ammonia should help neutralize any chemical residue. I would soak the tank for several days. And follow Riggle advice on testing. But Don't expect the tank to come brand new clean by any means. It is stained and the only way to cure that would be paint it.

Definitively was thinking about being completely protected when cleaning it. You never know what has been run through the tank.

Ya, don't think it will ever look new again, but I at least want it to look respectable. It will serve it's purpose.

tillerstick
06-29-2011, 01:49 PM
Oxi-Clean or the generic stuff is pretty good at breaking down crud. I homebrew beer and beer crud in old kegs can give you fits. I throw in some oxi-clean and fill with warm water. Let it sit overnight and it really breaks it down. Not sure how it will do on toxic waste sludge, but it may be a cheap alternative that would be worth a try.
:drinkup: