PDA

View Full Version : Rainy Season

billslawn89
06-28-2011, 04:27 PM
Well, I guess the rainy season has started, at least for my area in the south west ! I had to quit early, around 1pm the last two days cuz of the rain. Some of my clients yards are growing like crazy, and a few are still bone dry. Last week I had hit and miss rain, but last two days, its been all around, so time to keep them blades sharp cuz the bahia is growing fast. I was at a clients yard this morning and I must of been cutting 6 inches off, at 3.5 inch deck height. wow! I guess my rain dances are working..haha!...How's everybody else doing.

Florida Gardener
06-28-2011, 04:32 PM
Hey Bill. We had good rain over the weekend and looks like more this week. I truly prefer it to the bone dry hot drought we had until now. After 3 months we are in the clear anyways so I don't mind it too much.
Posted via Mobile Device

capelawncare.com
06-28-2011, 05:41 PM
Bill, I am a little south of you, we experienced about the same conditions here. After only a couple days of rain, I am wishing for dryer conditions LOL

Ric
06-28-2011, 05:51 PM
Yo Guys

While we sure can use the Rain. It is coming out of the South instead of our normal rain pattern from the N W. Last several days our Rain storms are in fact coming much earlier in the day than our traditional Rainy Season. Also not that I am complaining we are getting a lot more rain per day than normal.

I am just as hopeful for a good Rainy Season but the days when you could set your watch by the rain are over.

Florida Gardener
06-28-2011, 06:03 PM
Yo Guys

While we sure can use the Rain. It is coming out of the South instead of our normal rain pattern from the N W. Last several days our Rain storms are in fact coming much earlier in the day than our traditional Rainy Season. Also not that I am complaining we are getting a lot more rain per day than normal.

I am just as hopeful for a good Rainy Season but the days when you could set your watch by the rain are over.
I agree with you on the clock. I remember a few years ago when it would rain everyday around 3-4 pm. Not anymore. I remember when I traveled to Ecuador 4 years ago, you could def set your watch to the rain. Oh well, at least no more drought.
Posted via Mobile Device

zturncutter
06-28-2011, 06:52 PM
Very odd June, never recall the first half of the month so dry and now large areas of rain almost constantly drifting up from the South. Pond on my property has never been dry at this time of year since it was dug in 1987, but it is right now even with the rain of the last few days.:confused:

billslawn89
06-28-2011, 06:53 PM
I just read a article in the hearld tribune that the moisture is coming from that tropical disturbance in the far southwestern Gulf of Mexico. Well needed rain for sure.

Ric
06-28-2011, 07:16 PM
I just read a article in the hearld tribune that the moisture is coming from that tropical disturbance in the far southwestern Gulf of Mexico. Well needed rain for sure.

Bill

Traditionally not only our Hurricanes but our No Name Storms have come out of the S W. ComCast weather channel does a fairly good job of reporting the Weather and I relay on them when I am home and on wunderground.com on my computer in my Spray trucks.

This rain is really messing up my work schedule.

Florida Gardener
06-29-2011, 06:10 PM
More rain very early this AM and more this afternoon. 80% tomm and 50% on Friday. Was able to work through it today. I dont mind it one bit, all my yards are looking great!
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
06-29-2011, 06:29 PM
Me neither. I've done a bunch of summer color installs the past 2 seeks. I sleep better not wondering if the customers are watering enough.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
06-29-2011, 06:32 PM
More rain very early this AM and more this afternoon. 80% tomm and 50% on Friday. Was able to work through it today. I dont mind it one bit, all my yards are looking great!
Posted via Mobile Device

IMHO at some point you have to say to hell with it and cut in the rain. I know it is not ideal as the tearing of the blades of turf is much more likely, but that is why I change out daily...., more likely to rut that is for sure, but what the hell it is not a perfect world, if I waited until ideal conditions during rainy periods like this....hardly anyone could get cut.
Most customers are understanding at this point as they know it can not be avoided. I did end 2 properties early today as my feet were water logged and my red wings felt like the weighed 90lbs each.

Florida Gardener
06-29-2011, 06:43 PM
IMHO at some point you have to say to hell with it and cut in the rain. I know it is not ideal as the tearing of the blades of turf is much more likely, but that is why I change out daily...., more likely to rut that is for sure, but what the hell it is not a perfect world, if I waited until ideal conditions during rainy periods like this....hardly anyone could get cut.
Most customers are understanding at this point as they know it can not be avoided. I did end 2 properties early today as my feet were water logged and my red wings felt like the weighed 90lbs each.

Mike I have to disagree. Then again, I don't have as many accounts as you. But tearing up a persons yard is not something im willing to do. It was drizzling on and off today which is why I was able to cut, but I will NEVER cut if it is raining any more than a drizzle. With the size of tires and weight of mowers, it is easy to destroy a yard. Just my opinion though.

williams lcm
06-29-2011, 08:49 PM
I have to mow in the rain this week. The 4th of July is coming and I dont want to be back logged. I really would like an early Friday. I dont see a problem with mowing in the rain. It has rained off and on all day.

billslawn89
06-29-2011, 10:14 PM
I was mowing by 7am this morning and by 9am it started to drizzle. I said, "you gotta be kinding me"...I am still trying to catch up from monday and tuesday, but drizzle only lasted for a bit. I got somewhat caught up but by 6:30 pm, it started pouring again. wow! I cut bahia lawns today that was brown last week and green and tall this week...just unreal. I did alot of double cutting today. Summer time is here.

Keith
06-30-2011, 12:36 AM
Yep, vacation is over. Time to earn your keep. Up until this week I still had some I was doing at 10 days. And even a couple at 14 days. The damp St. Augustine has been really slowing me down the last three days, since I mulch everything. I love the 28 EFI engines. You can't beat the fuel usage. But for about three months I'd trade it for a 35 Vanguard.

greendoctor
06-30-2011, 04:07 AM
Mike I have to disagree. Then again, I don't have as many accounts as you. But tearing up a persons yard is not something im willing to do. It was drizzling on and off today which is why I was able to cut, but I will NEVER cut if it is raining any more than a drizzle. With the size of tires and weight of mowers, it is easy to destroy a yard. Just my opinion though.

Other than the last six months it normally hardly rains here. But, leave tire tracks or wheel marks in someone's lawn and you will soon not be doing that lawn any more. Most soils here are red clay that stains everything. A tire track on the grass leaves a stain that is visible for weeks.

Landscape Poet
06-30-2011, 07:48 AM

Unless you are getting a super premium for every lawn - in order to make any real money in this business - on weeks like this you have to cut. It has rained here everyday for the last 5 to 6 days and forecast has 50% to 60% each day for the next 8. I have been with my customers long enough that they know they may have a little slight rutting - but it is better than the alternative - which is their lawn not getting cut for two to three weeks while paying for it. I do not live in the perfect world and I have braced my customers for that, if they want their lawns cut under ideal conditions - then they either need to move to san deigo or their monthly fee needs to increase about 4 to 5 times of what it currently is so that I can make a respectable living. Most are understanding - those that are that unrealistic would be PITA's that I do not want to deal with. In the end - it is just grass.

Florida Gardener
06-30-2011, 07:49 AM
Yep, vacation is over. Time to earn your keep. Up until this week I still had some I was doing at 10 days. And even a couple at 14 days. The damp St. Augustine has been really slowing me down the last three days, since I mulch everything. I love the 28 EFI engines. You can't beat the fuel usage. But for about three months I'd trade it for a 35 Vanguard.

Yea my bahia yards with no irrigation were literally burnt during our drought and I was easily doing them at 14 days. No more though. Everything weekly now.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
07-01-2011, 05:24 PM
More rain yesterday around 6PM and today around 2:30. It is great, we really need it.....

billslawn89
07-01-2011, 07:28 PM
More rain yesterday around 6PM and today around 2:30. It is great, we really need it.....

ya, i got some rain last night, but not today. sorta happy cuz it gave me a chance to catch up.

gregory
07-01-2011, 10:29 PM
ok someone turn off the facet. in east ft myers we've gotten 21" of rain in the last two weeks as of yesterday. got a few more inches today...someone better be building the ark....todays rain was more of the normal pattern for us it rained at 5:30 instead of all day...

zturncutter
07-02-2011, 07:54 AM
Worked till 7:00 pm last night and still have two commercial and one residential to do today to finish the week and the radar is full and I can hear thunder. Not a good sign. :cry:

Ric
07-02-2011, 08:10 AM
Worked till 7:00 pm last night and still have two commercial and one residential to do today to finish the week and the radar is full and I can hear thunder. Not a good sign. :cry:

Zturn

I am looking at the same Tampa Radar as you. AND I am hearing the same thunder and seeing the same lighting this morning. Talk about either TOO MUCH or NOT ENOUGH, man we have run the gauntlet this year.

Florida Gardener
07-02-2011, 08:22 AM
More last night and right now with more scheduled for today....I think we get a reprieve for Sunday and Monday and then it continues wednesday onward.
Posted via Mobile Device

Buck_wheat
07-02-2011, 10:38 AM
Has anybody ever suggested crosscutting the lawns durin rainy season?

Landscape Poet
07-02-2011, 06:49 PM
Has anybody ever suggested crosscutting the lawns durin rainy season?

Buck Wheat - are your referring to changing direction of which you normally cut? If so I do that were applicable. Some lawns have areas which do not lend itself to changing directions.

Ric
07-02-2011, 07:05 PM
Buck Wheat - are your referring to changing direction of which you normally cut? If so I do that were applicable. Some lawns have areas which do not lend itself to changing directions.

Mikey

I believe Buck Wheat is referring to Diagonal cutting like you see real professional doing on Baseball Fields and Golf greens. Not up down one week and right to left the next like you do.

jvanvliet
07-02-2011, 07:06 PM

Some lawns & sideyards just don' lend themselves to it; some do. But you are the first one to mention it so far.

It's not as though we've been dry forever and it has suddenly started to rain... I cut rain or shine, lighning & downpours we sit out... sharp blades are a must. The Shindaiwa BR802's are big help also :drinkup:

Landscape Poet
07-02-2011, 07:31 PM
Mikey

I believe Buck Wheat is referring to Diagonal cutting like you see real professional doing on Baseball Fields and Golf greens. Not up down one week and right to left the next like you do.

Yes, that is what I was referencing ric, as some lawns do not allow you much variation in angles in which they are mowed. Many times cutting in cross patterns is the simple most time effecient way to change your pattern or cutting crossways is the only solution. I have one such property and will try to remember to snap a photo next week on my route. If I do not cut crosswise the turf will show the wear pattern of the tires.

Landscape Poet
07-02-2011, 07:35 PM
Some lawns & sideyards just don' lend themselves to it; some do. But you are the first one to mention it so far.

It's not as though we've been dry forever and it has suddenly started to rain... I cut rain or shine, lighning & downpours we sit out... sharp blades are a must. The Shindaiwa BR802's are big help also :drinkup:

I knew I was not the only one.....as there appears to be plenty of folks that do it when I look around.
If I was to wait for a ideal conditions to mow...I would not mow most of the year...too dry, to wet, shouldn't mow in the morning when due is still on the ground. I have a old shindi 630 that helps during this phases

Patriot Services
07-02-2011, 07:39 PM
Really sucks for those guys who only have belt drive wb. But cheer up guys, were getting a new half billion dollar choo choo on old tracks and on our tickets. Damn, now I'm depressed again.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
07-02-2011, 07:46 PM
Really sucks for those guys who only have belt drive wb. But cheer up guys, were getting a new half billion dollar choo choo on old tracks and on our tickets. Damn, now I'm depressed again.
Posted via Mobile Device

Could this be what the Kock brothers wanted to discuss with him? Interesting to say the least.

Florida Gardener
07-04-2011, 05:20 PM
More rain today for about 30 min. It has now rained 7/8 days to some extent....
Posted via Mobile Device

billslawn89
07-04-2011, 05:43 PM
More rain today for about 30 min. It has now rained 7/8 days to some extent....
Posted via Mobile Device

yep! same here and still raining. my rain gauge says 0.67 inches. almost got the scag stuck in a ditch today, but got lucky this time. :dizzy:

Florida Gardener
07-04-2011, 05:45 PM
I totally dont mind it. It cools the temps down and helps the turf and plants. I know my customers love it bc they get to save on thier water bill.
Posted via Mobile Device

billslawn89
07-04-2011, 05:50 PM
i heard on t.v. this morning about a tropical wave suppose to give us more moisture for the weekend, but have to tune in to local weather for a update. and yes, clients love the rain. i shut my irrigation off about two weeks ago.

Florida Gardener
07-04-2011, 05:59 PM
In all reality we only have to get through the next 3 months and then winter!!
Posted via Mobile Device

billslawn89
07-04-2011, 06:01 PM
lol. i was thinking that last week about the heat already! haha

Keith
07-04-2011, 06:07 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

It's like basic training. 12 weeks or so of pure hell :laugh:

Florida Gardener
07-04-2011, 06:17 PM
It's like basic training. 12 weeks or so of pure hell :laugh:

yea and you guys in central fl have it worse than me on the coast with the ocean breeze.....

I dont count Oct as summer as even though it is weekly on nice yards, everything starts to really slow down and bahia really slows down....

Ric
07-04-2011, 07:17 PM

Hey What a Great 4th of July. The water came to my boat instead of me taking the boat to water.

Keith
07-04-2011, 07:32 PM
yea and you guys in central fl have it worse than me on the coast with the ocean breeze.....

I dont count Oct as summer as even though it is weekly on nice yards, everything starts to really slow down and bahia really slows down....

I don't want to jinx it, but the last 10 days have been what I would call normal summer days. Rains I can deal with, without getting too far behind. Normal temps. The old normal that is, mid-80's to low-90's. Partly cloudy for part of the day. And night time low temps in the mid-70's instead of 88F at 11pm.

Florida Gardener
07-04-2011, 07:48 PM
I don't want to jinx it, but the last 10 days have been what I would call normal summer days. Rains I can deal with, without getting too far behind. Normal temps. The old normal that is, mid-80's to low-90's. Partly cloudy for part of the day. And night time low temps in the mid-70's instead of 88F at 11pm.

I agree. If the rest of the summer is like the last week, I will be a happy camper.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
07-04-2011, 09:45 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

The countdown has officially started. I was thinking about this the other day. Today was a breeze....nice weather, lawns had grown but not too much except a few.

Florida Gardener
07-04-2011, 11:07 PM
The countdown has officially started. I was thinking about this the other day. Today was a breeze....nice weather, lawns had grown but not too much except a few.

Yea we did half of an install today. Worked under 2 large bantams, breeze, wind, and rain. I wish all of them could be like this.
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
07-05-2011, 06:12 PM
These are some freaky storms right now. They come out of nowhere and its a lake falls out of the sky. There's a foot of standing water on some streets. Oh well I'm done for today.
Posted via Mobile Device

Keith
07-05-2011, 06:44 PM
Looks like I'm done for the day too. I still had three that needed to be done, but it's a wash.

Florida Gardener
07-05-2011, 11:37 PM
We had a day off lol but 60% the next 2 days so we should def see more rain this week.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
07-06-2011, 08:37 AM
I am looking today - tomorrow and Friday are looking a little different though. Good news is that the hard rains have not hear in a couple days which has allowed things to dry out in most lawns, at least lawns that do not have any grading/drainage issues.

Keith
07-08-2011, 02:34 AM
Another couple inches Thursday after 3 on Tuesday. Looks like another washout for Friday. The mulch kit may have to come off next week.

Ric
07-08-2011, 09:36 AM
Another couple inches Thursday after 3 on Tuesday. Looks like another washout for Friday. The mulch kit may have to come off next week.

Keith

The Radar this morning is showing Tampa and the North Gulf Coast are getting pounded. Yesterday We had a mist from morning til dark then the sky opened up all nigh long. But this morning my area radar shows a clear morning. This afternoon might be a different story.

Patriot Services
07-08-2011, 10:26 AM
We are starting to flood. Swimming pools are overflowing. I will have a ton of crap to clean up this weekend. A lot of dead tree limbs becoming water heavy and breaking off. Very little lightning oddly enough. I am sure there is some idiot out there making mudpies in a customers yard.:usflag:

zturncutter
07-08-2011, 07:35 PM
Looks like the rains that have been just to the north of us all day are starting to expand to the South and East and intensify. Could be another all nighter.

fl-landscapes
07-08-2011, 08:33 PM
Looks like the rains that have been just to the north of us all day are starting to expand to the South and East and intensify. Could be another all nighter.

just started coming down heavy here

Florida Gardener
07-08-2011, 08:38 PM
It's been raining since 515 or so and most of it heavy rain. Just a light rain/drizzle now. Sposed to get more tomorrow too. This weather has been great in keeping temps decent. June was brutal without the rain and oppressive heat. The days here have been hot, but def. bearable.
Posted via Mobile Device