PDA

View Full Version : targeting specific customers

grassmasterswilson
06-29-2011, 08:10 AM
I am currently a mowing and application company. I would love to move more to a crew mowing and me doing applications/aerating/seeding etc.

I have had most success with postcards. I usually target household incomes. I'm trying to target a higher end customer who may want both services or at least is willing to spend money on the lawn and do what is needed. Is it better to target by income or home value? Wondering what you guys do.

How soon before you begin applications would you want your postcards in hand? Anyone send out cards during the season? I'm thinking of a late season mailing for overseeding?

phillie
06-29-2011, 05:11 PM
I get good response on postcards as well. I target certain neighborhoods I want to work in not so much how much they make. Although, the neighborhoods I want to work in are obviously wealthier people. I send post cards out quite a few times a year. 4 times in the spring, once for grub, and 2 times in the fall. Works pretty well but the initial hit to the wallet always sucks. This is how I grew to around 90 customers in 2 years, well plus word of mouth, doorhangers, an networking.

Rayholio
06-29-2011, 07:44 PM
I've often been told that the best way to secure new customers is word of mouth... Which I found to be partially true...

But the thing about the really high end full service customers is that they're almost ALL word of mouth.

It's like they don't read their mail... or they're immune to mass marketing. You have to be reffered, or you're out of luck.... At least that's what it's like around here... perhaps work on referral incintives, and target current customers who are 'in the loop' with higher end clientel.

grassmasterswilson
06-29-2011, 07:49 PM
Thanks guys. I do a big mailing about twice a year. I offer a customer referral deal which is stated on my website. I just haven't had much luck with referrals. I get tons of complements on my app and mowing work(mostly from ex trugreen customers). I just hate to keep hounding my current customers about passing my name around. Its like they don't care about getting a discount.

Any tips on communicating the referral program with current customers?

RigglePLC
06-30-2011, 11:35 AM
post cards in the fall are a little risky. At TruGreen in the old days, our sales dropped to almost zero on Sept 15. So first two weeks are OK, other wise spring. and referals are always best. Try offereing a reward for a refferral. And at certain times of the year give the customer a coupon so he can give it to his neighbor--the neighbor gets 20 dollars off his first application. Special promotion sale.

Rayholio
06-30-2011, 12:25 PM
I've also had trouble getting a large volume of referrals from every day (even happy) customers...

but I have one guy who referred his friends and family over the course of 3 years, and the key isn't the incintives... it's the percieved friendship. I know what his interests are.. he knows what mine are.. we've gone shooting a time or two..

Facebook can help in establishing these relationships.

another big source is lawn mower guys.. I form a cooperative friendship with them, and then I benefit from their relationships.

So in my experience, the best customers come thru referral.. and via a relationship.. got a 'big hitter' customer? find common ground.. strike up a conversation.. ask 'em out to lunch... Pretend you're picking up a girlfriend.