PDA

View Full Version : Pruning Burning bush, Privet and Magnolia

robert payer
10-19-2002, 06:08 PM
I will need to prune back a burning bush to reduce its size. It is currently about six feet and I am hoping to reduce it to about 3 feet. I know that this can be done. I am wondering about timing. I am not sure if late Fall or early Spring is better. I also have some Privets that I plan to thin out. A Magnolia also. Pruning will all be selective thining by hand. I am aware that the Magnolia buds have already been set for the coming season.

Pruning is enjoyed, have been told that I excell at it. Embarassed that I lack this knowledge of timing. Guess this is how we learn.

In advance, thank you for your help!

Lanelle
10-19-2002, 09:56 PM
For Zones 5b-8a the VA Extension recommends pruning Magnolias only during May, June and July. Your state's extension probably also has a publication that lists pruning dates by species. If not, let me know and I'll try to locate the link to those publications.

GarPA
10-20-2002, 05:29 AM
Lanelle...if you find a good site that covers lots of plants and when and when not to prune each I think allot of us woujld love to hear about it....honestly I can never keep straight when certain plants should/should not be pruned....I too get embarrassed on this.....but there are so many different plants and rules on pruning that we almost need a cheat sheet or somthing in our trucks. Just last week a guy told me that the window for pruning white pine is unusual...forgot what he told me but the rule was not what I thought it would be...thanks in advance if you find anyting...or if anyone finds something for us

AGLA
10-20-2002, 07:34 AM
A Burning Bush and Privet can really be pruned anytime. The Magnolia can be pruned in the fall and winter as long as you consider the flower buds. It will reduce blooms, but not hurt the plant.
I would not avoid pruning these things due to time of year except late winter/early spring on the Magnolia. I would wait until after the bloom if the client needs to see every flower this plant can produce. As long as you branch prune leaving enough branches with flower buds, they probably will not know the difference.

CMerLand
10-20-2002, 06:58 PM
Kitzy,

The rules of pruning are not at all difficult provided you know your plant material and the bloom time of the plant you are pruning.

For common Spring flowering shrubs such as Forsythia, azaleas and rhododendron, you prune these shrubs after blooming in the spring. If you prune these shrubs after say Sept 1 you will be pruning the blooms off of next years plant.

For summer bloomers such as potentillia & AW spireas as well as most of your perennials (if not cut back the previous fall) you prune these back hard in the early spring, as they flower on new wood.

For white and other pines the right time to prune them is as the candles start to elongate in the spring. By cutting these candles you reduce the length of that years growth and maintain the natural growth habit of the tree. White pines grow from the tips out so pruning back into the previous years growth will prevent that branch from expanding out in the future.

Now as for the last line in your post about Lanelle or someone else finding a site to help with this information....GET OFF YOUR BUTT and find this out yourself. Attend a master gardeners course or a ornamental hort course at your local college during the off season. Or lay down some of your own cash and buy yourself some books on shrub and tree pruning. The ortho books are pretty good places to start, but may include alot of plants youll never see.

You will learn far more by researching this yourself then if someone just tells you what they think you need to know.

Ask not what another person can do for you, but what you can do to help another person on lawnsite.

Your welcome!

CMerrick

John from OH
10-21-2002, 09:01 AM
Robert, the Ohio Landscapers Association is having a Pruning Clinic taught by Elton Smith at the Cleveland Zoo on December 2. Good chance to refresh and hone your pruning skills. You can get more information by calling the OLA office at (440) 717-0002 or 1 800 335-6521.

The Mowerdude
10-21-2002, 09:07 AM
Kitzy

Sorry to change the topic of this thread, but I noticed that your profile states your age as being 148 years old. :angel: Shouldn't someone contact Jay Leno or Willard Scott so that you can get the recognition that you deserve? :D

Lanelle
10-21-2002, 01:57 PM
I would think that Ohio State would have something similar to this: http://www.ext.vt.edu/resources/anrpublications.html#DEPT177CAT2

LawnLad
10-21-2002, 09:58 PM
I would wait to prune the burning bush and privet until Feb/March when you would concentrate on most of your dormant pruning for non spring flowering shrubs. Magnolia - if you can wait until after the bloom, great. If not, then prune for the reason not the season and go for it.

You can always go for the Three D's anytime... dead, diseased and damaged wood can be removed at any time. When you get into structural, rejuvination and renovating type pruning, then I would wait for the ideal season.

robert payer
10-22-2002, 08:14 PM
Thank you to every one who responded. Lots of good information from very reliable sources. I will be sure to watch your topics for when I am able to respond and lend a hand.

Those pruning classes are great. I could use a refresher. It has been years. Would highly recomend them to every one.

Headed now to reread your efforts, Thank You!

lawnstudent
10-22-2002, 09:03 PM
Fall pruning is one of the worse times of the year to prune because:

1) Wounds are slow to heal.
2) Evidence shows that most decay fungi are sporalating in fall.

For most deciduous woody plants the best time to prune is just prior to rapid growth period. Late winter or very early spring are your best times to prune unless the shrub blooms before June 15th, then prune just after blooming. This is from my Horticulture class and the county extension agent. Good luck.

jim

BRL
10-22-2002, 10:28 PM
I'll contribute to taking the lazy internet road to figurin' it out LOL Hopefully Cmerland doesn't yell at me too much. I will agree with his comments about the books. I have 3 or 4 pruning books and between them I can usually find specifics for any plants I may come across. Here's some sites with pruning info that may help someone (or, according to Cmerland - those too lazy or cheap to buy the books LOL):
http://muextension.missouri.edu/xplor/agguides/hort/g06870.htm

http://www.ces.uga.edu/pubcd/b949-w.html

http://gardening.about.com/library/weekly/aa041399.htm

GarPA
10-23-2002, 03:58 AM
well I feel the need to defend my "laziness" Cmerland....the point I was trying to make but apparently did not is that this is one technical area where I seem to have a mental bllock on keeping the details straight. Half of my desk is filled with books on a wide range of landscape topics and approaches.and Ive read them all numerous times as well as having taken multiple seminars on shrub/tree care.

Chemical details , seed choices and other details I have not a problem keeping straight in my feeble brain...but when (not how) to trim the thousands of plant varieties trips me up. My problem is not laziness...rather a mental block...I think maybe I just dont like pruning!! lol...guess I'll have to throw a book in the truck 'cause my 148 yr old brain just wont absorb it.